Has any one ever heard of Phonic?

  • Morrow
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 10, 2008
      I was looking to see what type of mixers Amazon had and ran across
      something new.
      I can't find any reviews on the "Phonic" Helix Board 12 Mixer with USB
      I/O (12ChannelUSB).

      Has anyone ever heard of Phonic? If so, are their products any good?
      Good or bad let me know.

      Thanks for any help y'all can give me.
    • Steven R. Boyett
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 10, 2008
        Phonic is a very underappreciated brand. I have one of their powered mixers
        I use on smaller gigs. I had a conversaton with one of their reps about the
        brand at NAMM and came away very impressed. My experience with them is
        nothing but positive.

        Steve Boyett
        <http://www.djsteveboy.com/> www.djsteveboy.com

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 10, 2008
          On Feb 10, 2008 8:18 AM, Steven R. Boyett <steve@...> wrote:

          > Phonic is a very underappreciated brand. I have one of their powered
          > mixers
          > I use on smaller gigs. I had a conversaton with one of their reps about
          > the
          > brand at NAMM and came away very impressed. My experience with them is
          > nothing but positive.

          Phonic has been around for about 30 years and started out in live audio
          gear. They have branched out into recording gear, and they consistently get
          great reviews on their products in well known audio magazines.

          My favorite is the Firewire 12:

          http://astore.amazon.com/unsignedpodca-20?node=3&page=3

          I have not used Phonic since being in a band, but have never had issue with
          them.

          --
          Paul Puri

          New media with an independent spirit:
          http://puripodcastproductions.com

          My gear recommendations:
          http://podsafegear.com

          Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
          http://twitter.com/paulpuri

          Promotion without shame.
          Podcasting Announcements

        • Brian Ibbott
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 25, 2008
            I just picked up a Phonic Helix FireWire 12 to replace a Phonic Helix
            USB 12, and I'm wondering if anyone else has run into the same
            problem. The USB mixer outputs each microphone input as stereo, while
            the FireWire outputs each input as mono, meaning you'd have to plug a
            pair of mics into inputs 1 and 2 to get a stereo sound. Is this
            correct, or have I got something set incorrectly on the mixer?

            Brian Ibbott
            Coverville.com

            On Feb 10, 2008, at 9:35 AM, Paul Puri wrote:

            > On Feb 10, 2008 8:18 AM, Steven R. Boyett <steve@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Phonic is a very underappreciated brand. I have one of their powered
            > > mixers
            > > I use on smaller gigs. I had a conversaton with one of their reps
            > about
            > > the
            > > brand at NAMM and came away very impressed. My experience with
            > them is
            > > nothing but positive.
            > >

            > Phonic has been around for about 30 years and started out in live
            > audio
            > gear. They have branched out into recording gear, and they
            > consistently get
            > great reviews on their products in well known audio magazines.
            >
            > My favorite is the Firewire 12:
            >
            > http://astore.amazon.com/unsignedpodca-20?node=3&page=3
            >
            > I have not used Phonic since being in a band, but have never had
            > issue with
            > them.
            >
            > --
            > Paul Puri
            >
            > New media with an independent spirit:
            > http://puripodcastproductions.com
            >
            > My gear recommendations:
            > http://podsafegear.com
            >
            > Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
            > http://twitter.com/paulpuri
            >
            > Promotion without shame.
            > Podcasting Announcements

          • Martin McKeay
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 25, 2008
              I'm using the same mixer and I'm not having that problem at all. I have my
              mic on line 1 with a slight pan to the left on that channel. I have my
              skype coming out through the built in sound card on my motherboard into
              lines 7&8, with a slight pan to the right on the mixer. Not noticeable
              unless you're listening for it, but it does give a little sense of
              separation of the speakers in the final recording. I have the low cut
              filter on, and I have a slight boost to the high and low ranges for my
              channel. I'm recording into Audacity using the Main L/R and 2 channel
              stereo. I haven't really tried using Audition 2.0 to record, since Audacity
              works and I know it'll continue working, even though once I've recorded the
              base audio and run it through Levalator I mix the whole thing together in
              Audition.

              I really do need to go back and read the instruction manual one of these
              days to see if I'm doing it right, but it's working for now and I'm planning
              on changing anything.

              Hope that helps,

              Martin

              Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA
              Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
              and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
              Email: martin@...
              YIM: mmckeay@...
              TwitterID: mckeay
              (W) 707-495-7926

              On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Brian Ibbott <brian_jm@...> wrote:

              > I just picked up a Phonic Helix FireWire 12 to replace a Phonic Helix
              > USB 12, and I'm wondering if anyone else has run into the same
              > problem. The USB mixer outputs each microphone input as stereo, while
              > the FireWire outputs each input as mono, meaning you'd have to plug a
              > pair of mics into inputs 1 and 2 to get a stereo sound. Is this
              > correct, or have I got something set incorrectly on the mixer?
              >
              > Brian Ibbott
              > Coverville.com
              >

              > On Feb 10, 2008, at 9:35 AM, Paul Puri wrote:
              >
              > > On Feb 10, 2008 8:18 AM, Steven R. Boyett <steve@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Phonic is a very underappreciated brand. I have one of their powered
              > > > mixers
              > > > I use on smaller gigs. I had a conversaton with one of their reps
              > > about
              > > > the
              > > > brand at NAMM and came away very impressed. My experience with
              > > them is
              > > > nothing but positive.
              > > >

              > > Phonic has been around for about 30 years and started out in live
              > > audio
              > > gear. They have branched out into recording gear, and they
              > > consistently get
              > > great reviews on their products in well known audio magazines.
              > >
              > > My favorite is the Firewire 12:
              > >
              > > http://astore.amazon.com/unsignedpodca-20?node=3&page=3
              > >
              > > I have not used Phonic since being in a band, but have never had
              > > issue with
              > > them.
              > >
              > > --
              > > Paul Puri
              > >
              > > New media with an independent spirit:
              > > http://puripodcastproductions.com
              > >
              > > My gear recommendations:
              > > http://podsafegear.com
              > >
              > > Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
              > > http://twitter.com/paulpuri
              > >
              > > Promotion without shame.
              > > Podcasting Announcements
              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcastingannouncements/

            • Richard Amirault
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 25, 2008
                From: "Brian Ibbott"

                >I just picked up a Phonic Helix FireWire 12 to replace a Phonic Helix
                > USB 12, and I'm wondering if anyone else has run into the same
                > problem. The USB mixer outputs each microphone input as stereo, while
                > the FireWire outputs each input as mono, meaning you'd have to plug a
                > pair of mics into inputs 1 and 2 to get a stereo sound. Is this
                > correct, or have I got something set incorrectly on the mixer?

                Sending a standard (mono) mic to both left and right channels is *not*
                stereo. If you want "stereo" you'll need two mics, or a stereo mic.

                Richard Amirault
                Boston, MA, USA
                http://n1jdu.org
                http://bostonfandom.org
              • Brian Ibbott
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 14 11:44 AM
                  Still having the issue (had to move back to the USB mixer for my
                  shows), but really want to use the FireWire at some point soon.

                  Are you going form an XLR microphone cable to a 1/4" input into the
                  mixer, or is your cable XLR on both ends? And I'm 99% sure that my mic
                  is stereo - it's a Shure KSM27 - although I can't find any details
                  about it being stereo or mono. Anyone out there using the same mic,
                  and can tell me for sure?

                  Thanks,
                  Brian Ibbott
                  Coverville Media

                  P.S. Hope to see you all at the Coverville 500 Concert in Las Vegas
                  during the New Media Expo. Featuring: Jonathan Coulton, Richard
                  Cheese, Chance and the Choir, Dr. Floyd, Natalie Gelman and your host
                  for the evening, Dan Klass. (www.coverville500.com)

                • John McJunkin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 14 11:54 AM
                    Hey Brian - the Shure KSM27 is definitely not a stereo mic. I
                    remember seeing these demonstrated on a rainy night at NRG studios in
                    Hollywood by Eddie Kramer (of Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin fame.)
                    Should be a pretty good mic for voice work.

                    Looking forward to the Coverville 500 concert - should be fun!

                    Best,

                    John F. McJunkin
                    Avalon Podcasting, LLC
                    877-MY-PODCAST
                    (877-697-6322)
                    480-219-8800 (in AZ)
                    866-401-2354 FAX
                    john@...
                    http://www.avalonpodcasting.com

                  • Steve Riekeberg
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 14 11:57 AM
                      Unless it prominently and explicitly states stereo, it's not a stereo mic.
                      In your case, the KSM27 is *not* a stereo mic. Microphones are usually not
                      stereo. Think about it, the human voice is only mono, and stereo is only for
                      special uses. Even if the final output is in stereo, in the case of the
                      microphone channels, the source is still mono, and it's just being
                      duplicated to be on both the left and right channels.

                      Hope this helps,

                      Steve Riekeberg
                      Host, Geek Cred
                      <http://www.geekcred.net>

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 14 11:58 AM
                        Ah - well that solves the issue. I was thinking this whole time that
                        my Shure was a stereo mic.
                        Thanks for the clarification!

                        Time to start looking at stereo mics if I want to fully utilize the
                        FireWire mixer.

                        Brian Ibbott
                        Coverville Media

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 14 12:25 PM
                          What exactly makes you think you need/should have a stereo mic?

                          Steve Riekeberg
                          Host, Geek Cred
                          <http://www.geekcred.net>