Re: Best Software for Recording on a Mac?

  • simms_max
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2008
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "simms_max" <simms_max@...> wrote:

      > For those of you who use a Mac (I'm running OS 10.4), what would you
      > recommend as the best application for recording and editing a podcast?
      >
      > I've been using GarageBand 3, and basically like it, but I've had a
      > couple of instances in which it's done flakey things with audio
      > tracks: in one case it arbitrarily deleted several sections of audio
      > in a track, and in another case it arbitrarily moved all the audio in
      > a track about 3 seconds back.
      >
      > I asked Leo Laporte about this in his chat room, and he recommended
      > Amadeus Pro.
      >
      > Does anyone else prefer Amadeus Pro or another application, or should
      > I upgrade to iLife '08 and get GarageBand 4?

      Thanks to everyone who responded.

      Based on what people have said, as well as my own experience and
      research, I'll probably just upgrade to iLife '08 to get GarageBand 4.
      I've really liked working with GarageBand, but have been concerned
      about the occasional flakey behavior. At the same time, I just can't
      find anything for the Mac that seems significantly better for podcasts.

      Thanks again.
    • Paul Puri
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2008
        On Feb 3, 2008 9:02 PM, Steven R. Boyett <steve@...> wrote:

        > ProTools is ONLY cross-platform if you use it with the Mbox or certain
        > other
        > hardware manufactured by M-Audio.

        Actually, you can ONLY use it with the Digidesign or M-Audio hardware, but
        they are all cross platform. That is why I like Pro Tools. It has what you
        need in one package. You pick the size of the interface based on your usage,
        and the software is the same throughout. The OS is actually immaterial.

        I have used it in the small size for podcasting, and the 64 track variety in
        my studio days. It works all the same to me. But it is what I like. Your
        mileage may vary.

        > Paul Puri
        >
        > New media with an independent spirit:
        > http://puripodcastproductions.com
        >
        > My gear recommendations:
        > http://podsafegear.com
        >
        > Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
        > http://twitter.com/paulpuri
        >
        > Promotion without shame.
        > Podcasting Announcements

      • mbritt1216
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2008
          Amadeus Pro. I've been using it for almost a year. Fantastic easy to
          use for recording and editing. Inexpensive. Love it.

          Michael
          Host of The Psych Files podcast
          http://www.thepsychfiles.com