Re: [podcasters] Best Software for Recording on a Mac?

  • Paul Puri
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
      On Feb 3, 2008 5:40 PM, simms_max <simms_max@...> wrote:

      > For those of you who use a Mac (I'm running OS 10.4), what would you
      > recommend as the best application for recording and editing a podcast?

      I don't record on a mac, but the system I use is cross platform.

      I use Digidesigns Pro Tools. They have different systems at different price
      points, and it is easy to use.

      http://astore.amazon.com/unsignedpodca-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=13

      I have the Mbox mini and I love it. An audio interface and software in one
      package.

      > Paul Puri
      >
      > New media with an independent spirit:
      > http://puripodcastproductions.com
      >
      > My gear recommendations:
      > http://podsafegear.com
      >
      > Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
      > http://twitter.com/paulpuri
      >
      > Promotion without shame.
      > Podcasting Announcements

    • Larry Wanger
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
        I use Sound Studio 3.5 and really like working with it. I suspect that
        Garage Band might give you more options but who knows. I do well with
        Sound Studio and the board I have.

        DisabilityNation, an Audio Magazine by and for People with
        Disabilities. Listen at http://www.disabilitynation.net

        On Feb 3, 2008, at 9:18 PM, Paul Puri wrote:

        > On Feb 3, 2008 5:40 PM, simms_max <simms_max@...> wrote:
        >
        > > For those of you who use a Mac (I'm running OS 10.4), what would you
        > > recommend as the best application for recording and editing a
        > podcast?
        > >

        > I don't record on a mac, but the system I use is cross platform.
        >
        > I use Digidesigns Pro Tools. They have different systems at
        > different price
        > points, and it is easy to use.
        >
        > http://astore.amazon.com/unsignedpodca-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=13
        >
        > I have the Mbox mini and I love it. An audio interface and software
        > in one
        > package.
        >
        > > Paul Puri
        > >
        > > New media with an independent spirit:
        > > http://puripodcastproductions.com
        > >
        > > My gear recommendations:
        > > http://podsafegear.com
        > >
        > > Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
        > > http://twitter.com/paulpuri
        > >
        > > Promotion without shame.
        > > Podcasting Announcements
        > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcastingannouncements/

      • Steven R. Boyett
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
          ProTools is ONLY cross-platform if you use it with the Mbox or certain other
          hardware manufactured by M-Audio.

          _____

          <mailto:simms_max%40yahoo.com> com> wrote:

          > For those of you who use a Mac (I'm running OS 10.4), what would you
          > recommend as the best application for recording and editing a podcast?

          I don't record on a mac, but the system I use is cross platform.

          I use Digidesigns Pro Tools. They have different systems at different price
          points, and it is easy to use.

          http://astore.
          <http://astore.amazon.com/unsignedpodca-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=13>
          amazon.com/unsignedpodca-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=13

          I have the Mbox mini and I love it. An audio interface and software in one
          package.

          > Paul Puri
          >
          > New media with an independent spirit:
          > http://puripodcastp <http://puripodcastproductions.com> roductions.com
          >
          > My gear recommendations:
          > http://podsafegear. <http://podsafegear.com> com
          >
          > Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
          > http://twitter. <http://twitter.com/paulpuri> com/paulpuri
          >
          > Promotion without shame.
          > Podcasting Announcements
          > http://groups. <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcastingannouncements/>
          yahoo.com/group/podcastingannouncements/

        • Shawn Thorpe
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
            On Feb 3, 2008 8:32 PM, Larry Wanger <lsw999@...> wrote:

            > I use Sound Studio 3.5 and really like working with it. I suspect that
            > Garage Band might give you more options but who knows. I do well with
            > Sound Studio and the board I have.
            >
            > DisabilityNation, an Audio Magazine by and for People with
            > Disabilities. Listen at http://www.disabilitynation.net
            >

            > .

            I've used Sound Studio, too. it is a good program. I didn't do much
            recording with it, but it's a great editor.

            --
            -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
            Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

            Shawnogram - Content = life.
            http://www.shawnogram.com/

            Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
            http://www.phantompower.org/

          • simms_max
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 4, 2008
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "simms_max" <simms_max@...> wrote:

              > For those of you who use a Mac (I'm running OS 10.4), what would you
              > recommend as the best application for recording and editing a podcast?
              >
              > I've been using GarageBand 3, and basically like it, but I've had a
              > couple of instances in which it's done flakey things with audio
              > tracks: in one case it arbitrarily deleted several sections of audio
              > in a track, and in another case it arbitrarily moved all the audio in
              > a track about 3 seconds back.
              >
              > I asked Leo Laporte about this in his chat room, and he recommended
              > Amadeus Pro.
              >
              > Does anyone else prefer Amadeus Pro or another application, or should
              > I upgrade to iLife '08 and get GarageBand 4?

              Thanks to everyone who responded.

              Based on what people have said, as well as my own experience and
              research, I'll probably just upgrade to iLife '08 to get GarageBand 4.
              I've really liked working with GarageBand, but have been concerned
              about the occasional flakey behavior. At the same time, I just can't
              find anything for the Mac that seems significantly better for podcasts.

              Thanks again.
            • Paul Puri
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 4, 2008
                On Feb 3, 2008 9:02 PM, Steven R. Boyett <steve@...> wrote:

                > ProTools is ONLY cross-platform if you use it with the Mbox or certain
                > other
                > hardware manufactured by M-Audio.

                Actually, you can ONLY use it with the Digidesign or M-Audio hardware, but
                they are all cross platform. That is why I like Pro Tools. It has what you
                need in one package. You pick the size of the interface based on your usage,
                and the software is the same throughout. The OS is actually immaterial.

                I have used it in the small size for podcasting, and the 64 track variety in
                my studio days. It works all the same to me. But it is what I like. Your
                mileage may vary.

                > Paul Puri
                >
                > New media with an independent spirit:
                > http://puripodcastproductions.com
                >
                > My gear recommendations:
                > http://podsafegear.com
                >
                > Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
                > http://twitter.com/paulpuri
                >
                > Promotion without shame.
                > Podcasting Announcements

              • mbritt1216
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2008
                  Amadeus Pro. I've been using it for almost a year. Fantastic easy to
                  use for recording and editing. Inexpensive. Love it.

                  Michael
                  Host of The Psych Files podcast
                  http://www.thepsychfiles.com