Best Software for Recording on a Mac?

  • simms_max
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
      For those of you who use a Mac (I'm running OS 10.4), what would you
      recommend as the best application for recording and editing a podcast?

      I've been using GarageBand 3, and basically like it, but I've had a
      couple of instances in which it's done flakey things with audio
      tracks: in one case it arbitrarily deleted several sections of audio
      in a track, and in another case it arbitrarily moved all the audio in
      a track about 3 seconds back.

      I asked Leo Laporte about this in his chat room, and he recommended
      Amadeus Pro.

      Does anyone else prefer Amadeus Pro or another application, or should
      I upgrade to iLife '08 and get GarageBand 4?
    • Katronix Serf
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
        I use a combination of Audacity and Garage Band 3.

        If you decide to get iLife '08, you'll also want to upgrade to
        Leopard to get full use of it.
        On Feb 3, 2008, at 5:40 PM, simms_max wrote:

        > For those of you who use a Mac (I'm running OS 10.4), what would you
        > recommend as the best application for recording and editing a podcast?
        >
        > I've been using GarageBand 3, and basically like it, but I've had a
        > couple of instances in which it's done flakey things with audio
        > tracks: in one case it arbitrarily deleted several sections of audio
        > in a track, and in another case it arbitrarily moved all the audio in
        > a track about 3 seconds back.
        >
        > I asked Leo Laporte about this in his chat room, and he recommended
        > Amadeus Pro.
        >
        > Does anyone else prefer Amadeus Pro or another application, or should
        > I upgrade to iLife '08 and get GarageBand 4?

      • Shawn Thorpe
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
          On Feb 3, 2008 5:40 PM, simms_max <simms_max@...> wrote:

          > For those of you who use a Mac (I'm running OS 10.4), what would you
          > recommend as the best application for recording and editing a podcast?
          >
          > I've been using GarageBand 3, and basically like it, but I've had a
          > couple of instances in which it's done flakey things with audio
          > tracks: in one case it arbitrarily deleted several sections of audio
          > in a track, and in another case it arbitrarily moved all the audio in
          > a track about 3 seconds back.
          >
          > I asked Leo Laporte about this in his chat room, and he recommended
          > Amadeus Pro.
          >
          > Does anyone else prefer Amadeus Pro or another application, or should
          > I upgrade to iLife '08 and get GarageBand 4?
          >
          > _

          I'm a fan of Garageband 4. Have no experience with Amadeus Pro. I've used
          Logic Pro 8 for podcasting, and it's pretty good, but it's probably overkill
          for most podcasters. If you do decide to stick with Garageband, I recommend
          the "create music project" function over "create podcast" function, and you
          should also adjust the tempo of the music project to its lowest setting.
          You may experience fewer quirks that way.

          --
          -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
          Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

          Shawnogram - Content = life.
          http://www.shawnogram.com/

          Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
          http://www.phantompower.org/

        • Paul Puri
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
            On Feb 3, 2008 5:40 PM, simms_max <simms_max@...> wrote:

            > For those of you who use a Mac (I'm running OS 10.4), what would you
            > recommend as the best application for recording and editing a podcast?

            I don't record on a mac, but the system I use is cross platform.

            I use Digidesigns Pro Tools. They have different systems at different price
            points, and it is easy to use.

            http://astore.amazon.com/unsignedpodca-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=13

            I have the Mbox mini and I love it. An audio interface and software in one
            package.

            > Paul Puri
            >
            > New media with an independent spirit:
            > http://puripodcastproductions.com
            >
            > My gear recommendations:
            > http://podsafegear.com
            >
            > Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
            > http://twitter.com/paulpuri
            >
            > Promotion without shame.
            > Podcasting Announcements

          • Larry Wanger
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
              I use Sound Studio 3.5 and really like working with it. I suspect that
              Garage Band might give you more options but who knows. I do well with
              Sound Studio and the board I have.

              DisabilityNation, an Audio Magazine by and for People with
              Disabilities. Listen at http://www.disabilitynation.net

              On Feb 3, 2008, at 9:18 PM, Paul Puri wrote:

              > On Feb 3, 2008 5:40 PM, simms_max <simms_max@...> wrote:
              >
              > > For those of you who use a Mac (I'm running OS 10.4), what would you
              > > recommend as the best application for recording and editing a
              > podcast?
              > >

              > I don't record on a mac, but the system I use is cross platform.
              >
              > I use Digidesigns Pro Tools. They have different systems at
              > different price
              > points, and it is easy to use.
              >
              > http://astore.amazon.com/unsignedpodca-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=13
              >
              > I have the Mbox mini and I love it. An audio interface and software
              > in one
              > package.
              >
              > > Paul Puri
              > >
              > > New media with an independent spirit:
              > > http://puripodcastproductions.com
              > >
              > > My gear recommendations:
              > > http://podsafegear.com
              > >
              > > Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
              > > http://twitter.com/paulpuri
              > >
              > > Promotion without shame.
              > > Podcasting Announcements
              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcastingannouncements/

            • Steven R. Boyett
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
                ProTools is ONLY cross-platform if you use it with the Mbox or certain other
                hardware manufactured by M-Audio.

                _____

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
                  On Feb 3, 2008 8:32 PM, Larry Wanger <lsw999@...> wrote:

                  > I use Sound Studio 3.5 and really like working with it. I suspect that
                  > Garage Band might give you more options but who knows. I do well with
                  > Sound Studio and the board I have.
                  >
                  > DisabilityNation, an Audio Magazine by and for People with
                  > Disabilities. Listen at http://www.disabilitynation.net
                  >

                  > .

                  I've used Sound Studio, too. it is a good program. I didn't do much
                  recording with it, but it's a great editor.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 4, 2008
                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "simms_max" <simms_max@...> wrote:

                    > For those of you who use a Mac (I'm running OS 10.4), what would you
                    > recommend as the best application for recording and editing a podcast?
                    >
                    > I've been using GarageBand 3, and basically like it, but I've had a
                    > couple of instances in which it's done flakey things with audio
                    > tracks: in one case it arbitrarily deleted several sections of audio
                    > in a track, and in another case it arbitrarily moved all the audio in
                    > a track about 3 seconds back.
                    >
                    > I asked Leo Laporte about this in his chat room, and he recommended
                    > Amadeus Pro.
                    >
                    > Does anyone else prefer Amadeus Pro or another application, or should
                    > I upgrade to iLife '08 and get GarageBand 4?

                    Thanks to everyone who responded.

                    Based on what people have said, as well as my own experience and
                    research, I'll probably just upgrade to iLife '08 to get GarageBand 4.
                    I've really liked working with GarageBand, but have been concerned
                    about the occasional flakey behavior. At the same time, I just can't
                    find anything for the Mac that seems significantly better for podcasts.

                    Thanks again.
                  • Paul Puri
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 4, 2008
                      On Feb 3, 2008 9:02 PM, Steven R. Boyett <steve@...> wrote:

                      > ProTools is ONLY cross-platform if you use it with the Mbox or certain
                      > other
                      > hardware manufactured by M-Audio.

                      Actually, you can ONLY use it with the Digidesign or M-Audio hardware, but
                      they are all cross platform. That is why I like Pro Tools. It has what you
                      need in one package. You pick the size of the interface based on your usage,
                      and the software is the same throughout. The OS is actually immaterial.

                      I have used it in the small size for podcasting, and the 64 track variety in
                      my studio days. It works all the same to me. But it is what I like. Your
                      mileage may vary.

                      > Paul Puri
                      >
                      > New media with an independent spirit:
                      > http://puripodcastproductions.com
                      >
                      > My gear recommendations:
                      > http://podsafegear.com
                      >
                      > Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
                      > http://twitter.com/paulpuri
                      >
                      > Promotion without shame.
                      > Podcasting Announcements

                    • mbritt1216
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 5, 2008
                        Amadeus Pro. I've been using it for almost a year. Fantastic easy to
                        use for recording and editing. Inexpensive. Love it.

                        Michael
                        Host of The Psych Files podcast
                        http://www.thepsychfiles.com