Fw: another question- movie clips

  • April L Clay
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008
      this is a little off topic...but I need to find a way to take a clip from a movie (a movie on dvd) for powerpoint presentations...I know there has to be a way, other people do it! but all I can do is play the movie, not get a clip.

      if anyone knows, I would sure appreciate it!

      April Clay, M.Ed, R. Psych.
      Body Mind & Motion
      "mental skills for sport and life"
      www.bodymindmotion.com

    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008
        From: "April L Clay"
        > this is a little off topic...but I need to find a way to take a clip from
        > a movie (a movie on dvd) for powerpoint presentations...I know there has
        > to be a way, other people do it! but all I can do is play the movie, not
        > get a clip.

        Is this a commercial movie? or is it something you or some other individual
        made?

        Richard Amirault
        Boston, MA, USA
        http://n1jdu.org
        http://bostonfandom.org
      • April L Clay
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008
          yes it's commercial
          > this is a little off topic...but I need to find a way to take a clip from
          > a movie (a movie on dvd) for powerpoint presentations...I know there has
          > to be a way, other people do it! but all I can do is play the movie, not
          > get a clip.

          Is this a commercial movie? or is it something you or some other individual
          made?

          Richard Amirault
          Boston, MA, USA
          http://n1jdu.org
          http://bostonfandom.org

        • Alex Devlin
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008
            If it's a copyrighted DVD you could contact the publisher and inquire about obtaining the clip you require and if it is ok for you to use it in the way you want.

            If it's a personal DVD then you can use a program to convert the DVD files into another type of movie file. Some of these program allow you to select the start and end points for conversion so you can select the clip you need.

            I use Xilisoft software for conversions and you can choose the start and end points. You may need to convert the entire DVD movie to an AVI file first then convert the section you need. I'm not sure if any of the Xilisoft programs can convert one section directly from a DVD. But I do know they can convert from other movie file types.

            Alex

            Sent via iPhone

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          • April L Clay

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008
                The DVD files are in a format called VOB. You will probably need to convert the entire DVD movie into one file like an AVI or MPEG. Then you can use the software to extract the scene you want from the movie.

                Remember to get permission from the copyright holders before using the clip as you said the DVD was comercial.

                Alex

                Sent via iPhone

                On Feb 3, 2008, at 5:33 PM, "April L Clay" <aclay@...> wrote:

[...]

                Be a better friend, newshound, and