Re: Recording from Microphone AND Wave in Windows XP

  • jean_scholtes
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
      have you tried http://www.totalrecorder.com ?
      should do the trick
      jean

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "namlig1" <namlig1@y...> wrote:

      > Using just about any recording software in Windows you can choose to
      > record either CD audio, Microphone audio, line-in, or the outputted
      > wave sounds. Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to record from
      both
      > microphone and line-in.
      >
      > I wish to do this so that I can record a show using AIM or MSN
      > Messenger. Any ideas for grabbing the audio from more than one
      source
      > in Windows?
    • Rick Wezowicz
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
        "have you tried http://www.totalrecorder.com ?"

        Agreed ... Total Recorder is excellent ... (it can also help you
        record streams). It's only about $10 if you want to buy the full
        version ... I highly recommend it.

        Rick
      • namlig1
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
          Thanks for the heads up on Total Recorder.

          I've found a (rather primitive) way to route the sound of both the
          wave channel and the microphone channel to any recording program (I'm
          using Cool Edit). It seemed too simple before so I didn't bother
          trying it.

          In the sound properties in Windows select, as your recording channel,
          "stereo mix" then go to town in the audio editing program of your choice.

          I can't promise it'll be the best sound quality ever, but it's a start.

          - John

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Wezowicz" <rwezowicz@h...> wrote:

          > "have you tried http://www.totalrecorder.com ?"
          >
          > Agreed ... Total Recorder is excellent ... (it can also help you
          > record streams). It's only about $10 if you want to buy the full
          > version ... I highly recommend it.
          >
          > Rick
        • andrew clarke
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
            On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 05:20:14PM -0000, namlig1 wrote:

            > I've found a (rather primitive) way to route the sound of both the
            > wave channel and the microphone channel to any recording program (I'm
            > using Cool Edit). It seemed too simple before so I didn't bother
            > trying it.
            >
            > In the sound properties in Windows select, as your recording channel,
            > "stereo mix" then go to town in the audio editing program of your choice.

            Mark VandeWettering of Brainwagon demonstrates this in a 10 Mb Windows
            Media video file, linked from
            http://brainwagon.org/archives/2004/10/06/610/. Instead of CoolEdit Pro
            he's using Audacity.

            For some PC sound card the recording input is named "What U Hear" or
            "Sum" instead of "Stereo Mix".

            Total Recorder is unnecessary for most people.

            > I can't promise it'll be the best sound quality ever, but it's a start.

            The recorded audio of the mix should be near to CD quality on any modern
            sound card provided you record at 44.1 KHz at 16-bit.

            Regards
            Andrew
          • raytracer
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, andrew clarke <mail@o...> wrote:
              > On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 05:20:14PM -0000, namlig1 wrote:
              >
              > > I've found a (rather primitive) way to route the sound of both the
              > > wave channel and the microphone channel to any recording program (I'm
              > > using Cool Edit). It seemed too simple before so I didn't bother
              > > trying it.
              > >
              > > In the sound properties in Windows select, as your recording channel,
              > > "stereo mix" then go to town in the audio editing program of your
              choice.

              > Mark VandeWettering of Brainwagon demonstrates this in a 10 Mb Windows
              > Media video file, linked from
              > http://brainwagon.org/archives/2004/10/06/610/. Instead of CoolEdit Pro
              > he's using Audacity.

              Woohoo! I'm popular!

              Too popular in fact, my poor little cable modem is melting under
              the strain of downloads. If anyone wants to mirror this somewhere
              feel free.

              > For some PC sound card the recording input is named "What U Hear" or
              > "Sum" instead of "Stereo Mix".
              >
              > Total Recorder is unnecessary for most people.
              >
              > > I can't promise it'll be the best sound quality ever, but it's a
              start.

              > The recorded audio of the mix should be near to CD quality on any modern
              > sound card provided you record at 44.1 KHz at 16-bit.

              I record my weblogs at 22050, and encode with lame at 64kbps. Not
              CD quality, to be sure, but it's probably good enough for my purposes.

              > Regards
              > Andrew

              Mark
            • Kath
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
                Hi everyone, I've been trying ipodder for windows since last night and it downloads the files ok but doesn't seem to send them to my ipod. is it supposed to be integrated with itunes or is that just the mac version or have I missed an option somewhere. I've been listening to the files on my harddrive then I can transfer to ipod later. also, is there a way to change the downloads directory location - I prefer to put downloads in another directory so it makes backing up a single data area easier instead of having to select data from program files sub-dirs.

                great idea though, I've been doing netradio for last 4 years and haven't uploaded recorded shows (one reason is the copyright issues) but maybe I'll try this out to send with the rss feeds. as a listener it's great, because there's so many sites I visit, I hardly make it back to the same ones very often so this way I can subscribe and have the shows sent to me to listen when I have the chance. I'm hoping some of the radio stations back in Australia might start using these technologies so I can listen from here. we always thought it'd be cool to have netradio in the car! this is the start. keep up the great work :)

                Kath

                ::: http://www.AliaK.com :::
                ::: briz:b:e:a:t:s internet radio @ www.pulseradio.net  :::
                ::: [filter] listings : electronic music:arts:projects:news:events :::
                login & post your news

              • Gordon Smith
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
                  On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 22:09:26 -0000, raytracer <markv@...> wrote:

                  > > Mark VandeWettering of Brainwagon demonstrates this in a 10 Mb Windows
                  > > Media video file, linked from
                  > > http://brainwagon.org/archives/2004/10/06/610/. Instead of CoolEdit Pro
                  > > he's using Audacity.
                  >
                  > Woohoo! I'm popular!
                  >
                  > Too popular in fact, my poor little cable modem is melting under
                  > the strain of downloads. If anyone wants to mirror this somewhere
                  > feel free.

                  http://las.new-england.net.au/brainwagon/podcast.wmv

                  Gordon
                  --
                  Gordon Smith / VK2DJG
                  http://las.new-england.net.au/
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "raytracer" <markv@b...> wrote:

                    > Woohoo! I'm popular!
                    >
                    > Too popular in fact, my poor little cable modem is melting under
                    > the strain of downloads. If anyone wants to mirror this somewhere
                    > feel free.
                    >
                    > Mark

                    How about a Bit Torrent? (Forgive me, it's my first time seeding and
                    I'm not sure I actually did it right)

                    http://www.escom.biz/bt//download.php?id=925&name=podcast.wmv.torrent

                    Here's to hoping that it actually worked.
                  • billzegarski
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
                      On this note, does anyone know if there is something like a USB mixer
                      board that can be added to a PC or Mac? I want to do a cross fade,
                      but I can only click on one fader at a time. a manual board would be
                      GREAT!

                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, andrew clarke <mail@o...> wrote:
                      > On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 05:20:14PM -0000, namlig1 wrote:
                      >
                      > > I've found a (rather primitive) way to route the sound of both the
                      > > wave channel and the microphone channel to any recording program (I'm
                      > > using Cool Edit). It seemed too simple before so I didn't bother
                      > > trying it.
                      > >
                      > > In the sound properties in Windows select, as your recording channel,
                      > > "stereo mix" then go to town in the audio editing program of your
                      choice.

                      > Mark VandeWettering of Brainwagon demonstrates this in a 10 Mb Windows
                      > Media video file, linked from
                      > http://brainwagon.org/archives/2004/10/06/610/. Instead of CoolEdit Pro
                      > he's using Audacity.
                      >
                      > For some PC sound card the recording input is named "What U Hear" or
                      > "Sum" instead of "Stereo Mix".
                      >
                      > Total Recorder is unnecessary for most people.
                      >
                      > > I can't promise it'll be the best sound quality ever, but it's a
                      start.

                      > The recorded audio of the mix should be near to CD quality on any modern
                      > sound card provided you record at 44.1 KHz at 16-bit.
                      >
                      > Regards
                      > Andrew
                    • Wendy
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 11, 2004
                        I know people who do audio documentaries rave about something called
                        an MBox.

                        http://www.digidesign.com/products/mbox/

                        It might be exactly what you are looking for.

                        Be well,

                        Wendy
                      • dentonclayton
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 11, 2004
                          I own an mbox and have used it to record my music. It's a USB
                          interface that runs protools LE recording software. It has quarter-
                          inch jack inputs for your microphones, instruments, etc., and feeds
                          the audio into your pc/protools via usb. You can find them used on
                          ebay for about $350. I just heard about podcasting and am going to
                          see if I can use my mbox to create my 'cast. Fingers crossed, i'm
                          not that savvy...yet!