Re: [podcasters] Podfading: At what point is a podcast considered gone for good?

  • David Smith
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
      Ya know, one podcast (sadly overlooked) I think would be ideal for people
      who have stuff to say, and no where to say it, and don't want to go with a
      full-horsepower podcast, would be "Five Minute Memoir."

      I still have the RSS link in my half-assed feeder, that converts the show-
      notes to an email and converts the audio file to a file on my host machine
      at home. Haven't seen any traffic, sad to say.

      You get five minutes -- you're unlikely to get more, whoever's listening --
      your Mom will lie and claim that she heard the whole thing, and who wants
      to tell Mom she lied?

      You tell a story about something you know about. Who other than you can
      tell your story from your perspective?

      You get edited by somebody who knows better than you do about how to edit
      for a podcast.

      And if you have no other stories, well, you're done, and you don't have
      all the stuff entailed to produce the rest of a podcast you'll never
      produce anyway.

      Damned if I can remember who produces that, but that seems like an ideal
      venue for such authors.

      My sister has produced several (actually, rather good, Sister
      notwithstanding) articles for specialized magazine, and I seem to recall
      I've suggested this for her.

      So, if you wanna try producing a story-based podcast, this is one place to
      put your actual content (lacking a whole bunch of processing you'll know
      how to do someday) in front of an actual audience -- potentially the whole
      online world.

      I forget who was doing that, but I think he's still out there somewhere...

      Anyway, if it's still out there, I'd be happy to put up a post on my blog
      pointing back to Five Minute Memoir, for that particular purpose.

      It was 2 Jan 2008, when Erk Pod commented:

      --
      Grizzly's Growls
      Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
        My podcast (all ten episodes so far) fades in and out of podfade. I have
        all the music for the 11th episode, just need to find a hour of my time to
        put it together.. No, its not a hour long show, its 10 songs with me being a
        smart ass in-between. My goal was to have it done before Christmas.. Now my
        goal is to have it done before 2009 gets here :-)

        tempus

        --
        Grizzly's Growls
        Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com> libsyn.com>

        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
          Well, unless there's some minor provision of the USA Patriot Act I'm
          unaware of, I'd do a dozen different episodes, get maybe a week or two
          ahead (assuming daily shows, which apparently you could do), and then you
          need only 10 minutes each to crank out a particular episode. Then you can
          devote a week to the episode after all those you've just recorded. Or a
          day, so you can stay a week or so ahead. I'm never more than 4 seconds
          ahead. I'm usually a week or three behind.

          Or, you could wait till you have time to record a whole hour. Good luck
          with that. Never done it, but I've heard people do.

          It was 2 Jan 2008, when michael commented:

          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
            It's a music podcast, so the hard part (outside of finding some time) is
            finding the music. I guess I could drop it down to 5 songs, but that seems
            so limiting. my biggest issue is time. Since I work from home finding time
            seems to be an issue. once 6pm gets here I really don't want to be in the
            computer room, and all the printing and phone ringing would just end up
            being in the cast and that's really not acceptable as far as I am concerned.
            Its just a hobby for me. My original goal was 2 episodes a month which was
            doable until my family business became a member of NACES (www.naces.org
            <http://www.naces.org/> ) and now doing anything like that is near
            impossible. of course owning guitar hero III for the WII cuts into my time
            as well..

            [mailto:podcasters@yahoogro <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com]
> [...]
            though
            > > most of it ended up on the cutting room floor. After that episode I
            found
            > > the program I use to insert intros etc live while recording so that
            > > episode
            > was
            > > a good one in the total scheme of things.
            > >
            > > He decided to podfade after one episode (partly money, partly equipment,
            > > partly time) but at the very least, I now have a ready made guest or
            back
            > > up co-host who knows what I do who also gives me feedback as well.
            > >

            > > I'm sure some people think that 10 minutes of show means 10 minutes of
            > > recording, 2 minutes of uploading and that's it but most of us here know
            > > different!
            > --
            > Grizzly's Growls
            > The Life and Times of a Minor Local Celebrity

          • P.G. Holyfield
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 3, 2008
              Five Minute Memoir is Matthew Wayne Selznick's podcast. I'm hoping he
              will start it back up when he returns to the podosphere this spring.

              Actually I see on his website that Matt is asking if anyone is
              interested in stewarding a season two of FMM.

              http://fiveminutememoir.com

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <dbsmith@...> wrote:

              > Ya know, one podcast (sadly overlooked) I think would be ideal for
              people
              > who have stuff to say, and no where to say it, and don't want to go
              with a
              > full-horsepower podcast, would be "Five Minute Memoir."
              >
              > I still have the RSS link in my half-assed feeder, that converts the
              show-
              > notes to an email and converts the audio file to a file on my host
              machine
              > at home. Haven't seen any traffic, sad to say.
              >
              > You get five minutes -- you're unlikely to get more, whoever's
              listening --
              > your Mom will lie and claim that she heard the whole thing, and who
              wants
              > to tell Mom she lied?
              >
              > You tell a story about something you know about. Who other than you can
              > tell your story from your perspective?
              >
              > You get edited by somebody who knows better than you do about how to
              edit
              > for a podcast.
              >
              > And if you have no other stories, well, you're done, and you don't have
              > all the stuff entailed to produce the rest of a podcast you'll never
              > produce anyway.
              >
              > Damned if I can remember who produces that, but that seems like an
              ideal
              > venue for such authors.
              >
              > My sister has produced several (actually, rather good, Sister
              > notwithstanding) articles for specialized magazine, and I seem to
              recall
              > I've suggested this for her.
              >
              > So, if you wanna try producing a story-based podcast, this is one
              place to
              > put your actual content (lacking a whole bunch of processing you'll
              know
              > how to do someday) in front of an actual audience -- potentially the
              whole
              > online world.
              >
              > I forget who was doing that, but I think he's still out there
              somewhere...

              > Anyway, if it's still out there, I'd be happy to put up a post on my
              blog
              > pointing back to Five Minute Memoir, for that particular purpose.

            • Dan Kuykendall
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 4, 2008
                I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should produce
                a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed once in
                awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                traffic to the musicians site as well

                P.G. Holyfield wrote:

                > Five Minute Memoir is Matthew Wayne Selznick's podcast. I'm hoping he
                > will start it back up when he returns to the podosphere this spring.
                >
                > Actually I see on his website that Matt is asking if anyone is
                > interested in stewarding a season two of FMM.

                --
                Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
                http://www.mightyseek.com

                The ultimate security is your understanding of reality.
              • Erk Pod
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 4, 2008
                  On Jan 5, 2008 10:56 AM, Dan Kuykendall <dan@...> wrote:

                  > I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should produce
                  > a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed once in
                  > awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                  > traffic to the musicians site as well

                  I remember when one of our TV stations went off air for a few hours one
                  night and the ratings (via an electronic box located on the top of the TV)
                  still said that a lot of people were still watching that station. Maybe an
                  idea might be to record a short piece like an answering machine message and
                  put that on the feed saying briefly why you aren't there and when you expect
                  to be back (if known).

                  I saw that OG put a text document of some sort into his feed once that I
                  noticed when I was catching up on episodes. I clicked on it in iTunes and
                  read whatever it said (might have been some new feed info). How did you do
                  that, OG?

                  Erk

                  Erk
                  Sydney, Australia

                  WEBSITES:
                  Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au

                  Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com

                  FEEDS
                  Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml

                  Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml

                  Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

                • Brains Matter
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 4, 2008
                    Erk,

                    That was just a pdf document. Feeds normally accept other file
                    formats, not just mp3/mp4/etc. so the feed readers and iTunes usually
                    take that happily.

                    I use Pages, but of course you can write something up in Word or a
                    windows equivalent, and then save it to PDF format (remember not
                    everyone has - or likes - Word)

                    OG

                    --
                    Brains Matter Podcast
                    Melbourne, Australia

                    On 05/01/2008, at 11:27 AM, Erk Pod wrote:

                    > On Jan 5, 2008 10:56 AM, Dan Kuykendall <dan@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should
                    > produce
                    > > a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed
                    > once in
                    > > awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                    > > traffic to the musicians site as well
                    > >

                    > I remember when one of our TV stations went off air for a few hours
                    > one
                    > night and the ratings (via an electronic box located on the top of
                    > the TV)
                    > still said that a lot of people were still watching that station.
                    > Maybe an
                    > idea might be to record a short piece like an answering machine
                    > message and
                    > put that on the feed saying briefly why you aren't there and when
                    > you expect
                    > to be back (if known).
                    >
                    > I saw that OG put a text document of some sort into his feed once
                    > that I
                    > noticed when I was catching up on episodes. I clicked on it in
                    > iTunes and
                    > read whatever it said (might have been some new feed info). How did
                    > you do
                    > that, OG?
                    >
                    > Erk
                    >
                    > Erk
                    > Sydney, Australia
                    >
                    > WEBSITES:
                    > Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au
                    >
                    > Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com
                    >
                    > FEEDS
                    > Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml
                    >
                    > Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml
                    >
                    > Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

                  • David Grizzly Smith
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 5, 2008
                      I passed the suggestion along to one of my favorite songwriters. Hmmm...
                      Just thought of another one to ask!

                      It was 4 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 12, 2008
                        any luck?

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                          Nope, no word yet, but it's not the most inspirational topic. Well, here,
                          maybe.

                          You know who has excellent podcast-related composers? Leo LaPorte.
                          Anybody know him well enough to ask? <grin>

                          It was 12 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:

                          > any luck?
                          >
                          > David Grizzly Smith wrote:
                          > >

                          > > I passed the suggestion along to one of my favorite songwriters. Hmmm...
                          > > Just thought of another one to ask!
                          > >
                          > > It was 4 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:
                          > >
                          > >> I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should produce
                          > >> a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed once in
                          > >> awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                          > >> traffic to the musicians site as well
                          --
                          Grizzly's Growls
                          Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                        • Steven R. Boyett
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                            <<I keep thinking that someone should produce a "Im not a podfader" song,
                            which people can post on their feed once in awhile during a hiatus..>>
                            So ... do y'all just assume you're only podcasting to other podcasters? Cuz
                            that approach seems pretty self-fulfilling to me. I mean, you're about
                            *this* far from SF filking territory right now.

                            --steve boyett

                            _____

                            > David Grizzly Smith wrote:
                            > >

                            > > I passed the suggestion along to one of my favorite songwriters. Hmmm...
                            > > Just thought of another one to ask!
                            > >
                            > > It was 4 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:
                            > >
                            > >> I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should
                            produce
                            > >> a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed once in
                            > >> awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                            > >> traffic to the musicians site as well
                            --
                            Grizzly's Growls
                            Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com> libsyn.com>
                            Blog: <http://grizzlysgrow <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com>
                            ls.blogspot.com>

                          • David Smith
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                              Not sure if this was addressed to me or to the thread, but I'd assume to
                              the thread at large. As Ringo Starr said when he was first brought in to
                              replace the first Beatle's drummer, who's name I forget: "I'm just happy
                              to be here."

                              I have no idea who's listening. They don't talk to me, and they're not
                              obligated to, of course, but I'm continually curious. It appears from
                              what I can find out that I have a significant percentage of listeners in
                              other countries, and I haven't seen a lot of podcasters in here, anyway,
                              from China or India, for example, though I suppose there must be some,
                              huh? I'm amazed there's anybody out there.

                              It may well be that a significant percentage are podcasters themselves,
                              though I'd be surprised if I sustain enough quality to support such
                              interest. It seems more likely many are Aspies like me, who are as amazed
                              as I am that I can keep doing this stuff. For those folks, it's a shame I
                              don't know more about the technical aspects of the condition to speak to
                              it intelligently.

                              But maybe I'm not understanding the question?

                              It was 13 Jan 2008, when Steven R. Boyett commented:

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                Few people outside of podcasting know what "podfading" means, and a song
                                about it on your podcast wouldn't make a lick of sense to them.

                                --steve boyett

                                _____

                                Not sure if this was addressed to me or to the thread, but I'd assume to
                                the thread at large. As Ringo Starr said when he was first brought in to
                                replace the first Beatle's drummer, who's name I forget: "I'm just happy
                                to be here."

                                I have no idea who's listening. They don't talk to me, and they're not
                                obligated to, of course, but I'm continually curious. It appears from
                                what I can find out that I have a significant percentage of listeners in
                                other countries, and I haven't seen a lot of podcasters in here, anyway,
                                from China or India, for example, though I suppose there must be some,
                                huh? I'm amazed there's anybody out there.

                                It may well be that a significant percentage are podcasters themselves,
                                though I'd be surprised if I sustain enough quality to support such
                                interest. It seems more likely many are Aspies like me, who are as amazed
                                as I am that I can keep doing this stuff. For those folks, it's a shame I
                                don't know more about the technical aspects of the condition to speak to
                                it intelligently.

                                But maybe I'm not understanding the question?

                                It was 13 Jan 2008, when Steven R. Boyett commented:

                                > <<I keep thinking that someone should produce a "Im not a podfader" song,
                                > which people can post on their feed once in awhile during a hiatus..>> So
                                > ... do y'all just assume you're only podcasting to other podcasters? Cuz
                                > that approach seems pretty self-fulfilling to me. I mean, you're about
                                > *this* far from SF filking territory right now.
                                >

                                > > David Grizzly Smith wrote:
                                > > >

                                > > > I passed the suggestion along to one of my favorite songwriters.
                                > > > Hmmm... Just thought of another one to ask!
                                > > >
                                > > > It was 4 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:

                                > produce
                                > --
                                > Grizzly's Growls
                                > The Life and Times of a Minor Local Celebrity
                                > Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                                libsyn.com> libsyn.com>
                                > Blog: <http://grizzlysgrow <http://grizzlysgrow
                                <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com> ls.blogspot.com>
                                > ls.blogspot.com>

                                Grizzly's Growls
                                Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com> libsyn.com>
                                Blog: <http://grizzlysgrow <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com>
                                ls.blogspot.com>

                              • Nobilis
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                  On Jan 13, 2008 8:23 PM, Steven R. Boyett <steve@...> wrote:
                                  > Few people outside of podcasting know what "podfading" means, and a song
                                  > about it on your podcast wouldn't make a lick of sense to them.

                                  You mean that podcasters don't use the word in their podcasts?

                                  I think you're wrong.

                                  -----
                                  Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4
                                • Steven R. Boyett
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                    No, I don't mean that at all. I mean that they use the word, but they're
                                    most likely talking to each other when they do. Exclusionary dialogue --
                                    podcasting is starting to remind me of science fiction fandom so much it's
                                    painful. And it occurs to me that if I'm right or totally wrong, either way
                                    it's probably pointless to even point it out.

                                    --steve b

                                    _____

                                    <mailto:steve%40steveboy.com> com> wrote:
                                    > Few people outside of podcasting know what "podfading" means, and a song
                                    > about it on your podcast wouldn't make a lick of sense to them.

                                    You mean that podcasters don't use the word in their podcasts?

                                    I think you're wrong.

                                    Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis. <http://nobilis.libsyn.com> libsyn.com
                                    -----
                                    Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.
                                    <http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4> com/2r25e4

                                  • David Smith
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 14, 2008
                                      I made the same point a while back, comparing it to the BBSing days. I
                                      think there's at least a potential difference, in that some may acquire an
                                      audience that is external to podcasting, eventually. Seems some have
                                      already done so.

                                      Makes me reconsider that radio station in San Francisco that was
                                      broadcasting podcasts -- at least it's an audience not dependent on
                                      knowledge of mostly obscure technology. Didn't like their licensing
                                      agreements, though.