Re: [podcasters] Re: recording devices..

  • April L Clay
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
      Kevin, do I need to order anything else with it or does it come with everything I need? I'm ready to order!!

      From: "April L Clay"
      (snip)
      > RR-US500
      (snip)

      Do yourself a favor and stay away from this. This is commonaly called a
      "digital voice recorder" and while it is decent for recording notes in a
      classroom or a business meeting it is not high enough quality for what most
      folks would want for podcasting.

      I have two similar units by Olympus. If I remember correctly, it records in
      it's own format, but when you upload it to your computer it converts it to
      wav files. You then have to convert *that* to mp3 if you want.

      The Zoom H-2 would be your best bet.

      Richard Amirault
      Boston, MA, USA
      http://n1jdu.org
      http://bostonfandom.org

    • Flyswatter
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
        It even comes with a 512K SD card, though you'll probably want to get a
        larger one eventually.

        On Jan 2, 2008 3:10 PM, April L Clay <aclay@...> wrote:

        > Kevin, do I need to order anything else with it or does it come with
        > everything I need? I'm ready to order!!

        Laura Ross

        The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
        http://coffeeandteashow.com
        Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
        coffeeandteashow@...

        Rocky Horror Pod Show
        http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
        Listener hotline: 206-350-0972 (note NEWER new number!)
        rockypod@...
        Join the Rockypod Google Group at http://groups.google.com/group/rockypod

      • David Smith
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
          It was 1 Jan 2008, when April L Clay commented:

          > Hello all and Happy New Year!
          >
          > After some time away from the list, I am ready to jump back in! Enough
          > procrastinating, I am ready to get my first podcast together!
          >
          > I do have a question for you all- I am wanting a device to record
          > interviews with guests AND something that can clearly pick up talks that I
          > give as well. I figure I could use all or portions of these as
          > teleseminars.
          >
          > What would you recommend? Ease of use would be nice...like easy
          > integration with audacity and/or easy conversion to MP3 format.

          Since you're just starting out, you'd do best plugging a microphone into
          your laptop and do the best you can with the input you record. Since it's
          just People Talking, you'll probably do fine. And you can certainly
          create a podcast from that. People do, all the time.

          If you want one device that'll create an MP3 file from whatever audio you
          record, I'd recomment a Samson Zoom H2. It's not perfect, and it ain't
          cheap, but you apparently have the money, and it'll make your recording
          simpler. Then you have to do some editing, but you're starting with
          decent quality, and you can do the rest.

          Wish I owned one. <sigh>

          --
          Grizzly's Growls
          Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
            April

            Most of the Zoom products are available at your local music store. In
            Calgary, I go to Axe music ( http://www.axemusic.com ) or Long &
            McQuade ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/ ). If there's a local guitar
            shop, such as Guitarworks ( http://www.guitarworksonline.com/ ) I've
            seen them there too.

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
              Thanks Kurt, I actually picked one up yesterday at Music Centre Canada on MacLeod Trail. I am excited to launch its use tonight at my talk!
              April

              Most of the Zoom products are available at your local music store. In
              Calgary, I go to Axe music ( http://www.axemusic.com ) or Long &
              McQuade ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/ ). If there's a local guitar
              shop, such as Guitarworks ( http://www.guitarworksonline.com/ ) I've
              seen them there too.

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "April L Clay" <aclay@...> wrote:

              > Thanks all for your comments. I can see this is not the way to
              go...but the Zoom doesn't seem to be available in any store here
              (Canada) so where/how is the best way to buy this and...is it
              something that you can just set down on a podium while you are talking
              or do you have to use a mic and have it on me while I give a
              presentation? It looks a little bulky but its hard to tell from the
              shots.

              > thanks again,
              > April

            • Noble Acuff
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                For what it's worth: I've owned an H2 for a couple of months now, and
                although I haven't done just a ton of recording with it I've been
                happy with it so far. The recording quality is reasonably good
                (especially for the price), the unit has a lot of features, and it's
                got built in mics on the front and the back that let you capture sound
                in a variety of ways.

                The only major complaints I've had so far are:

                - there's no built in speaker for playback. This seems common with the
                higher-end recorders (i.e. not the little Olympus dictation ones) but
                it doesn't make much sense to me. You've got to plug ear buds into it
                to check what you've captured.

                - the build quality feels a bit on the cheap side. Not a major
                complaint, as long as it holds up over time

                - the buttons are a bit too small if you have large hands

                - no XLR inputs for professional mics. I wouldn't expect this for the
                price though.

                Hope this helps!