Re: [podcasters] Re: recording devices..

  • Kevin Gibson
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
      April,

      The Zoom H2 is a stand alone recorder that will work great for your application. Bulky is a relative term, but I would not classify the H2 as bulky. It will record well from the podium as you are speaking -- and you can power it with batteries, so there are no cords for you to worry about.

      There are probably a myriad of places to purchase the Zoom, here is one place you might try:
      http://www.fullcompass.com/product/335840.html

      Cheers,

      Kevin Gibson

      Thanks all for your comments. I can see this is not the way to go...but the Zoom doesn't seem to be available in any store here (Canada) so where/how is the best way to buy this and...is it something that you can just set down on a podium while you are talking or do you have to use a mic and have it on me while I give a presentation? It looks a little bulky but its hard to tell from the shots.

      thanks again,
      April

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
        I got mine from Amazon for $181 U.S. It comes with a small desk stand and
        mic stand adaptor and can use a camera tripod. It also uses SD cards, which
        are cheap and readily available and is powered by 2 AA batteries or an
        included power adaptor. It also comes with a windscreen so you can record
        outside without wind noise. The size? Small. It easily fits in your hand.

        Laura

        On Jan 2, 2008 11:46 AM, Kevin Gibson <kevingib@...> wrote:

        > April,
        >
        > The Zoom H2 is a stand alone recorder that will work great for your
        > application. Bulky is a relative term, but I would not classify the H2 as
        > bulky. It will record well from the podium as you are speaking -- and you
        > can power it with batteries, so there are no cords for you to worry about.
        >
        > There are probably a myriad of places to purchase the Zoom, here is one
        > place you might try:
        > http://www.fullcompass.com/product/335840.html
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Kevin Gibson
        >

        > Thanks all for your comments. I can see this is not the way to go...but
        > the Zoom doesn't seem to be available in any store here (Canada) so
        > where/how is the best way to buy this and...is it something that you can
        > just set down on a podium while you are talking or do you have to use a mic
        > and have it on me while I give a presentation? It looks a little bulky but
        > its hard to tell from the shots.
        >
        > thanks again,
        > April

        Laura Ross

        The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
        http://coffeeandteashow.com
        Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
        coffeeandteashow@...

        Rocky Horror Pod Show
        http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
        Listener hotline: 206-350-0972 (note NEWER new number!)
        rockypod@...
        Join the Rockypod Google Group at http://groups.google.com/group/rockypod

      • April L Clay
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
          Kevin, do I need to order anything else with it or does it come with everything I need? I'm ready to order!!

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
            It even comes with a 512K SD card, though you'll probably want to get a
            larger one eventually.

          • David Smith
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
              It was 1 Jan 2008, when April L Clay commented:

              > Hello all and Happy New Year!
              >
              > After some time away from the list, I am ready to jump back in! Enough
              > procrastinating, I am ready to get my first podcast together!
              >
              > I do have a question for you all- I am wanting a device to record
              > interviews with guests AND something that can clearly pick up talks that I
              > give as well. I figure I could use all or portions of these as
              > teleseminars.
              >
              > What would you recommend? Ease of use would be nice...like easy
              > integration with audacity and/or easy conversion to MP3 format.

              Since you're just starting out, you'd do best plugging a microphone into
              your laptop and do the best you can with the input you record. Since it's
              just People Talking, you'll probably do fine. And you can certainly
              create a podcast from that. People do, all the time.

              If you want one device that'll create an MP3 file from whatever audio you
              record, I'd recomment a Samson Zoom H2. It's not perfect, and it ain't
              cheap, but you apparently have the money, and it'll make your recording
              simpler. Then you have to do some editing, but you're starting with
              decent quality, and you can do the rest.

              Wish I owned one. <sigh>

              --
              Grizzly's Growls
              Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                April

                Most of the Zoom products are available at your local music store. In
                Calgary, I go to Axe music ( http://www.axemusic.com ) or Long &
                McQuade ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/ ). If there's a local guitar
                shop, such as Guitarworks ( http://www.guitarworksonline.com/ ) I've
                seen them there too.

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                  Thanks Kurt, I actually picked one up yesterday at Music Centre Canada on MacLeod Trail. I am excited to launch its use tonight at my talk!
                  April

                  Most of the Zoom products are available at your local music store. In
                  Calgary, I go to Axe music ( http://www.axemusic.com ) or Long &
                  McQuade ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/ ). If there's a local guitar
                  shop, such as Guitarworks ( http://www.guitarworksonline.com/ ) I've
                  seen them there too.

                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "April L Clay" <aclay@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks all for your comments. I can see this is not the way to
                  go...but the Zoom doesn't seem to be available in any store here
                  (Canada) so where/how is the best way to buy this and...is it
                  something that you can just set down on a podium while you are talking
                  or do you have to use a mic and have it on me while I give a
                  presentation? It looks a little bulky but its hard to tell from the
                  shots.

                  > thanks again,
                  > April

                • Noble Acuff
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                    For what it's worth: I've owned an H2 for a couple of months now, and
                    although I haven't done just a ton of recording with it I've been
                    happy with it so far. The recording quality is reasonably good
                    (especially for the price), the unit has a lot of features, and it's
                    got built in mics on the front and the back that let you capture sound
                    in a variety of ways.

                    The only major complaints I've had so far are:

                    - there's no built in speaker for playback. This seems common with the
                    higher-end recorders (i.e. not the little Olympus dictation ones) but
                    it doesn't make much sense to me. You've got to plug ear buds into it
                    to check what you've captured.

                    - the build quality feels a bit on the cheap side. Not a major
                    complaint, as long as it holds up over time

                    - the buttons are a bit too small if you have large hands

                    - no XLR inputs for professional mics. I wouldn't expect this for the
                    price though.

                    Hope this helps!