RE: [podcasters] Re: recording devices..

  • Paul Bowling
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
      Richard,
      I use the Olympus WS-300M and these ARE NOT podcast quality. It serves
      the purpose of dictation, personal notes, etc. It does have a mic in and
      ear out but I haven't used those features. The nice thing is they plug
      directly into a USB port and the flies are easily transferred to my
      computer.
      de W4ATN
      Paul

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
        Thanks all for your comments. I can see this is not the way to go...but the Zoom doesn't seem to be available in any store here (Canada) so where/how is the best way to buy this and...is it something that you can just set down on a podium while you are talking or do you have to use a mic and have it on me while I give a presentation? It looks a little bulky but its hard to tell from the shots.

        thanks again,
        April

        Do yourself a favor and stay away from this. This is commonaly called a
        "digital voice recorder" and while it is decent for recording notes in a
        classroom or a business meeting it is not high enough quality for what most
        folks would want for podcasting.

        I have two similar units by Olympus. If I remember correctly, it records in
        it's own format, but when you upload it to your computer it converts it to
        wav files. You then have to convert *that* to mp3 if you want.

        The Zoom H-2 would be your best bet.

        Richard Amirault
        Boston, MA, USA
        http://n1jdu.org
        http://bostonfandom.org

      • Kevin Gibson
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
          April,

          The Zoom H2 is a stand alone recorder that will work great for your application. Bulky is a relative term, but I would not classify the H2 as bulky. It will record well from the podium as you are speaking -- and you can power it with batteries, so there are no cords for you to worry about.

          There are probably a myriad of places to purchase the Zoom, here is one place you might try:
          http://www.fullcompass.com/product/335840.html

          Cheers,

          Kevin Gibson

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
            I got mine from Amazon for $181 U.S. It comes with a small desk stand and
            mic stand adaptor and can use a camera tripod. It also uses SD cards, which
            are cheap and readily available and is powered by 2 AA batteries or an
            included power adaptor. It also comes with a windscreen so you can record
            outside without wind noise. The size? Small. It easily fits in your hand.

            Laura

            On Jan 2, 2008 11:46 AM, Kevin Gibson <kevingib@...> wrote:

            > April,
            >
            > The Zoom H2 is a stand alone recorder that will work great for your
            > application. Bulky is a relative term, but I would not classify the H2 as
            > bulky. It will record well from the podium as you are speaking -- and you
            > can power it with batteries, so there are no cords for you to worry about.
            >
            > There are probably a myriad of places to purchase the Zoom, here is one
            > place you might try:
            > http://www.fullcompass.com/product/335840.html
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Kevin Gibson
            >

            > Thanks all for your comments. I can see this is not the way to go...but
            > the Zoom doesn't seem to be available in any store here (Canada) so
            > where/how is the best way to buy this and...is it something that you can
            > just set down on a podium while you are talking or do you have to use a mic
            > and have it on me while I give a presentation? It looks a little bulky but
            > its hard to tell from the shots.
            >
            > thanks again,
            > April

            Laura Ross

            The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
            http://coffeeandteashow.com
            Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
            coffeeandteashow@...

            Rocky Horror Pod Show
            http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
            Listener hotline: 206-350-0972 (note NEWER new number!)
            rockypod@...
            Join the Rockypod Google Group at http://groups.google.com/group/rockypod

          • April L Clay
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
              Kevin, do I need to order anything else with it or does it come with everything I need? I'm ready to order!!

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                It even comes with a 512K SD card, though you'll probably want to get a
                larger one eventually.

              • David Smith
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                  It was 1 Jan 2008, when April L Clay commented:

                  > Hello all and Happy New Year!
                  >
                  > After some time away from the list, I am ready to jump back in! Enough
                  > procrastinating, I am ready to get my first podcast together!
                  >
                  > I do have a question for you all- I am wanting a device to record
                  > interviews with guests AND something that can clearly pick up talks that I
                  > give as well. I figure I could use all or portions of these as
                  > teleseminars.
                  >
                  > What would you recommend? Ease of use would be nice...like easy
                  > integration with audacity and/or easy conversion to MP3 format.

                  Since you're just starting out, you'd do best plugging a microphone into
                  your laptop and do the best you can with the input you record. Since it's
                  just People Talking, you'll probably do fine. And you can certainly
                  create a podcast from that. People do, all the time.

                  If you want one device that'll create an MP3 file from whatever audio you
                  record, I'd recomment a Samson Zoom H2. It's not perfect, and it ain't
                  cheap, but you apparently have the money, and it'll make your recording
                  simpler. Then you have to do some editing, but you're starting with
                  decent quality, and you can do the rest.

                  Wish I owned one. <sigh>

                  --
                  Grizzly's Growls
                  Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                    April

                    Most of the Zoom products are available at your local music store. In
                    Calgary, I go to Axe music ( http://www.axemusic.com ) or Long &
                    McQuade ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/ ). If there's a local guitar
                    shop, such as Guitarworks ( http://www.guitarworksonline.com/ ) I've
                    seen them there too.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                      Thanks Kurt, I actually picked one up yesterday at Music Centre Canada on MacLeod Trail. I am excited to launch its use tonight at my talk!
                      April

                      Most of the Zoom products are available at your local music store. In
                      Calgary, I go to Axe music ( http://www.axemusic.com ) or Long &
                      McQuade ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/ ). If there's a local guitar
                      shop, such as Guitarworks ( http://www.guitarworksonline.com/ ) I've
                      seen them there too.

                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "April L Clay" <aclay@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks all for your comments. I can see this is not the way to
                      go...but the Zoom doesn't seem to be available in any store here
                      (Canada) so where/how is the best way to buy this and...is it
                      something that you can just set down on a podium while you are talking
                      or do you have to use a mic and have it on me while I give a
                      presentation? It looks a little bulky but its hard to tell from the
                      shots.

                      > thanks again,
                      > April

                    • Noble Acuff
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                        For what it's worth: I've owned an H2 for a couple of months now, and
                        although I haven't done just a ton of recording with it I've been
                        happy with it so far. The recording quality is reasonably good
                        (especially for the price), the unit has a lot of features, and it's
                        got built in mics on the front and the back that let you capture sound
                        in a variety of ways.

                        The only major complaints I've had so far are:

                        - there's no built in speaker for playback. This seems common with the
                        higher-end recorders (i.e. not the little Olympus dictation ones) but
                        it doesn't make much sense to me. You've got to plug ear buds into it
                        to check what you've captured.

                        - the build quality feels a bit on the cheap side. Not a major
                        complaint, as long as it holds up over time

                        - the buttons are a bit too small if you have large hands

                        - no XLR inputs for professional mics. I wouldn't expect this for the
                        price though.

                        Hope this helps!