RE: [podcasters] recording devices..

  • Paul Bowling
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2008
      April,
      I just began using the Zoom H4 with an Azden 300 series wireless mike
      with great success. I'm using it for seminars and training. I use the
      bodypack for myself and the plug in Mic transmitter for questions from
      the attendees. It records as a MP3 on a SD card and transfers nicely to
      Audacity. I haven't used it to connect directly to my notebook as I
      usually have my PP presentation on it. I like to keep it simple so it
      easier for me to record on the SD and transfer it. The entire set up is
      very portable, easy and quick to set up and take down. I use
      rechargeable batteries (AA & 9V) and have the entire set up packs in a
      Pelican case.
      Paul

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2008
        I think you'd definitely be a bit better snatching up a used iRiver off
        of eBay. I got my IFP-890 for about twenty bucks and couldn't be happier.

        Steve Riekeberg
        Host, Geek Cred
        <http://www.geekcred.net>

        Flyswatter wrote:

> [...]
        > other
        > format. Looking at customer reviews on Amazon (
        > http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RR-US500-Compact-Recorder-Software/dp/B000GLODHO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199250934&sr=8-1
        > <http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RR-US500-Compact-Recorder-Software/dp/B000GLODHO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199250934&sr=8-1>)
        > shows that the device has a really bad background hiss, is not
        > Mac-compatible (may not be a problem for you), broke very quickly, etc.
        >
        > It seems more like a dictation recorder rather than a podcasting-quality
        > device, but then again, I know some people who podcast with their
        > cellphones
        > so who am I to judge? But the lack of format information is very
        > worrisome.
        > Audio podcasts should be MP3s or something that will play in
        > somebody's MP3
        > player or computer without having to use extraordinary software. Sorry!
        > ::shrug::
        >
        > Laura
        >
        > On Jan 1, 2008 11:31 PM, April L Clay <aclay@...
        > <mailto:aclay%40telusplanet.net>> wrote:
        >

        > > I found this one and its a good price at futureshop (can easily pick up
        > > tomorrow, and would like to record a talk I am giving Thurs.) Its a
        > > panasonic and the specs are below...anyone have it? is it as good as it
        > > looks??
        > >
        > > Thanks April (trying to figure out this technology!)
        > >
        > > RR-US500
        > > Slim, Compact IC Recorder with USB Cradle, Voice Editing Software
        > and Two
        > > Rechargeable AAA Batteries
        > >
        > > Voice Activated System (VAS) Yes
        > > Sound Level Meter Yes
        > > Built-in Front Speaker Yes
        > > Recording Capacity 5 Folders / 99 Files per Folder (495 Total Files)
        > > Recording Time Up to 66 hours & 50 minutes (Monaural: SP Mode)
        > > Up to 33 hours & 20 minutes (Stereo: SP Mode)
        > > Included Software Voice Editing Ver. 1.0 Premium Edition (Speech to
        > Text,
        > > Text to Speech, Translation)
        > > USB Terminal & Cable (for linking to a compatible PC) Yes
        > > Super-slim Design Yes
        > > Jacks Mic and Headphone (input/output)
        > > Dictation Record Mode Yes
        > > Playback Speeds 5
        > > Meeting and Dictation Mode Switch Yes
        > > Timer Record and Timer Play Yes
        > > Standard Accessories Two Rechargeable AAA Batteries
        > > Mini jack cable (M3-M3)
        > > AC Adaptor
        > > Dimensions (H x W x D) 411/16'' x 15/16'' x 019/32''
        > > Weight 0.09 lbs

        > Laura Ross
        >
        > The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
        > http://coffeeandteashow.com <http://coffeeandteashow.com>
        > Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
        > coffeeandteashow@... <mailto:coffeeandteashow%40gmail.com>
        >
        > Rocky Horror Pod Show
        > http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
        > <http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com>
        > Listener hotline: 206-350-0972 (note NEWER new number!)

      • Richard Amirault
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
          From: "April L Clay"
          (snip)
          > RR-US500
          (snip)

          Do yourself a favor and stay away from this. This is commonaly called a
          "digital voice recorder" and while it is decent for recording notes in a
          classroom or a business meeting it is not high enough quality for what most
          folks would want for podcasting.

          I have two similar units by Olympus. If I remember correctly, it records in
          it's own format, but when you upload it to your computer it converts it to
          wav files. You then have to convert *that* to mp3 if you want.

          The Zoom H-2 would be your best bet.

          Richard Amirault
          Boston, MA, USA
          http://n1jdu.org
          http://bostonfandom.org
        • Paul Bowling
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
            Richard,
            I use the Olympus WS-300M and these ARE NOT podcast quality. It serves
            the purpose of dictation, personal notes, etc. It does have a mic in and
            ear out but I haven't used those features. The nice thing is they plug
            directly into a USB port and the flies are easily transferred to my
            computer.
            de W4ATN
            Paul

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
              Thanks all for your comments. I can see this is not the way to go...but the Zoom doesn't seem to be available in any store here (Canada) so where/how is the best way to buy this and...is it something that you can just set down on a podium while you are talking or do you have to use a mic and have it on me while I give a presentation? It looks a little bulky but its hard to tell from the shots.

              thanks again,
              April

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                April,

                The Zoom H2 is a stand alone recorder that will work great for your application. Bulky is a relative term, but I would not classify the H2 as bulky. It will record well from the podium as you are speaking -- and you can power it with batteries, so there are no cords for you to worry about.

                There are probably a myriad of places to purchase the Zoom, here is one place you might try:
                http://www.fullcompass.com/product/335840.html

                Cheers,

                Kevin Gibson

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                  I got mine from Amazon for $181 U.S. It comes with a small desk stand and
                  mic stand adaptor and can use a camera tripod. It also uses SD cards, which
                  are cheap and readily available and is powered by 2 AA batteries or an
                  included power adaptor. It also comes with a windscreen so you can record
                  outside without wind noise. The size? Small. It easily fits in your hand.

                  Laura

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                    Kevin, do I need to order anything else with it or does it come with everything I need? I'm ready to order!!

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                      It even comes with a 512K SD card, though you'll probably want to get a
                      larger one eventually.

                    • David Smith
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                        It was 1 Jan 2008, when April L Clay commented:

                        > Hello all and Happy New Year!
                        >
                        > After some time away from the list, I am ready to jump back in! Enough
                        > procrastinating, I am ready to get my first podcast together!
                        >
                        > I do have a question for you all- I am wanting a device to record
                        > interviews with guests AND something that can clearly pick up talks that I
                        > give as well. I figure I could use all or portions of these as
                        > teleseminars.
                        >
                        > What would you recommend? Ease of use would be nice...like easy
                        > integration with audacity and/or easy conversion to MP3 format.

                        Since you're just starting out, you'd do best plugging a microphone into
                        your laptop and do the best you can with the input you record. Since it's
                        just People Talking, you'll probably do fine. And you can certainly
                        create a podcast from that. People do, all the time.

                        If you want one device that'll create an MP3 file from whatever audio you
                        record, I'd recomment a Samson Zoom H2. It's not perfect, and it ain't
                        cheap, but you apparently have the money, and it'll make your recording
                        simpler. Then you have to do some editing, but you're starting with
                        decent quality, and you can do the rest.

                        Wish I owned one. <sigh>

                        --
                        Grizzly's Growls
                        Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                          April

                          Most of the Zoom products are available at your local music store. In
                          Calgary, I go to Axe music ( http://www.axemusic.com ) or Long &
                          McQuade ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/ ). If there's a local guitar
                          shop, such as Guitarworks ( http://www.guitarworksonline.com/ ) I've
                          seen them there too.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                            Thanks Kurt, I actually picked one up yesterday at Music Centre Canada on MacLeod Trail. I am excited to launch its use tonight at my talk!
                            April

                            Most of the Zoom products are available at your local music store. In
                            Calgary, I go to Axe music ( http://www.axemusic.com ) or Long &
                            McQuade ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/ ). If there's a local guitar
                            shop, such as Guitarworks ( http://www.guitarworksonline.com/ ) I've
                            seen them there too.

                            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "April L Clay" <aclay@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks all for your comments. I can see this is not the way to
                            go...but the Zoom doesn't seem to be available in any store here
                            (Canada) so where/how is the best way to buy this and...is it
                            something that you can just set down on a podium while you are talking
                            or do you have to use a mic and have it on me while I give a
                            presentation? It looks a little bulky but its hard to tell from the
                            shots.

                            > thanks again,
                            > April

                          • Noble Acuff
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                              For what it's worth: I've owned an H2 for a couple of months now, and
                              although I haven't done just a ton of recording with it I've been
                              happy with it so far. The recording quality is reasonably good
                              (especially for the price), the unit has a lot of features, and it's
                              got built in mics on the front and the back that let you capture sound
                              in a variety of ways.

                              The only major complaints I've had so far are:

                              - there's no built in speaker for playback. This seems common with the
                              higher-end recorders (i.e. not the little Olympus dictation ones) but
                              it doesn't make much sense to me. You've got to plug ear buds into it
                              to check what you've captured.

                              - the build quality feels a bit on the cheap side. Not a major
                              complaint, as long as it holds up over time

                              - the buttons are a bit too small if you have large hands

                              - no XLR inputs for professional mics. I wouldn't expect this for the
                              price though.

                              Hope this helps!