Re: [podcasters] What to do next?

  • Steve Riekeberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
      Very good point. Depending on your needs, LibSyn is the way to go for
      some. For me, I've been happy with DreamHost, it's great for what I do.

      Steve Riekeberg
      Host, Geek Cred
      <http://www.geekcred.net>

      Nobilis wrote:

      > I should point out that you can get started on Libsyn for $5, and then
      > bump to a higher plan after you get your feet under you.
      >
      > On Jan 1, 2008 11:56 PM, Steve Riekeberg <missingintellect@...
      > <mailto:missingintellect%40gmail.com>> wrote:
      > > Well it's all the same plan, just look at it this way: if you pay in
      > > advance you get a discount, and the more you pay for in advance, the
      > > bigger the discount. Personally, I went for a year. (Though they've
      > > increased what they've changed things around and increased what they
      > > offer since I signed up a year ago.)
      > >
      > > *ahem* Not to be an ass, but it would be wrong to point out that you
      > > would get $50 off by using the promo code "GEEKCRED"? *evilgrin*
      > >
      > > Steve Riekeberg
      > > Host, Geek Cred
      > > <http://www.geekcred.net <http://www.geekcred.net>>
      > >
      > > geekdimension wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Dream Host is a bad a my cell phone company.
      > > >
      > > > Pay Monthly @ $10.95/mo + $49.95 setup = $60.90
      > > >
      > > > Pay Yearly @ $9.95/mo: 9% off + no setup = $119.40
      > > >
      > > > Pay for 2 Years @ $8.95/mo: 18% off + no setup = $214.80
      > > >
      > > > Pay for 3 Years @ $7.95/mo: 27% off + no setup = $286.20
      > > >
      > > > Pay for 5 Years @ $6.95/mo: 36% off + no setup = $417.00
      > > >
      > > > Pay for 10 Years @ $5.95/mo: 45% off + no setup = $714.00
      > > >
      > > > What is the best plan for a "want-to-be" podcaster?So far I have:
      > > > A domain name, 4 Shure SM58 Microphones, the Zoom H2 (on order) and a
      > > > very well use copy of Podcasting for Dummies, "Man, I like this book."
      > > >
      > > > I know I need to get: Mic cables, Mic stands, Windscreens, a mixer,
      > > > and a really good idea of what to podcast about.
      > > >
      > > > I ordered "Tricks of the Podcasting Master" from Amazon.com (that was
      > > > December 11th,2007) and its not come in yet. If it doesn't come in
      > > > tomorrow, (that's last date that it should be in.)I'm going to email
      > > > them and ask WHY I DON'T HAVE IT!
      > > > Dang!
      > > >
      > > > Sorry for the rant, I've got a cold and don't feel good.

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > --
      > Weekly erotica served up on your ipod or mp3 player -- subscribe to
      > Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com <http://nobilis.libsyn.com>
      > -----
      > Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4
      > <http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4>

    • Blasterbot5555
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
        Can I offer up some advice as a fellow newbie to podcasting? I don't
        think it's wise to buy into any long-term hosting plans until you're
        sure it's something you actually want to continue in the long-term.
        Not to rain on your parade or anything, but how do you know you'll
        want to be podcasting even a year from now? I know it's important to
        plan for success, but I think it's also important to give yourself an
        "out" if you decide at some point down the line that you want to stop.
        That's what I'm doing.

        My own super-inexpensive starter plan: podcast hosting through libsyn
        ($5 a month), website hosting through Cyberland USA (been using them
        for years for my business site and they're terrific--base plan is just
        $21 a year for 100MB of space/3GB of transfer). Both are easily
        upgradable if my podcast becomes successful. If I want to stop at some
        point, both are easily dump-able.
      • David
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
          good point. I Went for two years then stopped. Lost interest. libsyn
          is perfect for hosting. Get the Alesis multi mix 8. Only around $150
          and your good to go with your 58's and a usb out to your computer.

          David
          behindtheweddingmic.com
        • mrniceguyshow_mk
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
            I strongly agree with Blasterbot's advice (below).

            The most important thing you need to worry about is content, what
            you're going to say and how you're going to say it, not stuff, gadgets
            or hosting. Find options and gear that are good enough to get you
            started, not commit or bankrupt you or give you bragging material to
            wave at other podcasters. It's all about the listeners and the content.

            I have found _Podcast Solutions_ by Geoghegan and Klass to be the
            absolute best startup guide out there and I see that a second edition
            just came out in November (I don't know the authors or profit from
            this. I really like the book).

            I think everything else you should be reading for your podcast
            preparation should be content - not process - related.

            Good luck.

            -M!

            http://MrNiceGuyShow.com/

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Blasterbot5555:
            > Can I offer up some advice as a fellow newbie to podcasting? I don't
            > think it's wise to buy into any long-term hosting plans until you're
            > sure it's something you actually want to continue in the long-term.
            > Not to rain on your parade or anything, but how do you know you'll
            > want to be podcasting even a year from now? I know it's important to
            > plan for success, but I think it's also important to give yourself an
            > "out" if you decide at some point down the line that you want to stop.
            > That's what I'm doing.
            <snip>