What to do next?

  • geekdimension
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
      Dream Host is a bad a my cell phone company.

      Pay Monthly @ $10.95/mo + $49.95 setup = $60.90

      Pay Yearly @ $9.95/mo: 9% off + no setup = $119.40

      Pay for 2 Years @ $8.95/mo: 18% off + no setup = $214.80

      Pay for 3 Years @ $7.95/mo: 27% off + no setup = $286.20

      Pay for 5 Years @ $6.95/mo: 36% off + no setup = $417.00

      Pay for 10 Years @ $5.95/mo: 45% off + no setup = $714.00

      What is the best plan for a "want-to-be" podcaster?So far I have:
      A domain name, 4 Shure SM58 Microphones, the Zoom H2 (on order) and a
      very well use copy of Podcasting for Dummies, "Man, I like this book."

      I know I need to get: Mic cables, Mic stands, Windscreens, a mixer,
      and a really good idea of what to podcast about.

      I ordered "Tricks of the Podcasting Master" from Amazon.com (that was
      December 11th,2007) and its not come in yet. If it doesn't come in
      tomorrow, (that's last date that it should be in.)I'm going to email
      them and ask WHY I DON'T HAVE IT!
      Dang!

      Sorry for the rant, I've got a cold and don't feel good.
    • Steve Riekeberg
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
        Well it's all the same plan, just look at it this way: if you pay in
        advance you get a discount, and the more you pay for in advance, the
        bigger the discount. Personally, I went for a year. (Though they've
        increased what they've changed things around and increased what they
        offer since I signed up a year ago.)

        *ahem* Not to be an ass, but it would be wrong to point out that you
        would get $50 off by using the promo code "GEEKCRED"? *evilgrin*

        Steve Riekeberg
        Host, Geek Cred
        <http://www.geekcred.net>

        geekdimension wrote:

        > Dream Host is a bad a my cell phone company.
        >
        > Pay Monthly @ $10.95/mo + $49.95 setup = $60.90
        >
        > Pay Yearly @ $9.95/mo: 9% off + no setup = $119.40
        >
        > Pay for 2 Years @ $8.95/mo: 18% off + no setup = $214.80
        >
        > Pay for 3 Years @ $7.95/mo: 27% off + no setup = $286.20
        >
        > Pay for 5 Years @ $6.95/mo: 36% off + no setup = $417.00
        >
        > Pay for 10 Years @ $5.95/mo: 45% off + no setup = $714.00
        >
        > What is the best plan for a "want-to-be" podcaster?So far I have:
        > A domain name, 4 Shure SM58 Microphones, the Zoom H2 (on order) and a
        > very well use copy of Podcasting for Dummies, "Man, I like this book."
        >
        > I know I need to get: Mic cables, Mic stands, Windscreens, a mixer,
        > and a really good idea of what to podcast about.
        >
        > I ordered "Tricks of the Podcasting Master" from Amazon.com (that was
        > December 11th,2007) and its not come in yet. If it doesn't come in
        > tomorrow, (that's last date that it should be in.)I'm going to email
        > them and ask WHY I DON'T HAVE IT!
        > Dang!
        >
        > Sorry for the rant, I've got a cold and don't feel good.

      • Nobilis
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
          I should point out that you can get started on Libsyn for $5, and then
          bump to a higher plan after you get your feet under you.

          On Jan 1, 2008 11:56 PM, Steve Riekeberg <missingintellect@...> wrote:
          > Well it's all the same plan, just look at it this way: if you pay in
          > advance you get a discount, and the more you pay for in advance, the
          > bigger the discount. Personally, I went for a year. (Though they've
          > increased what they've changed things around and increased what they
          > offer since I signed up a year ago.)
          >
          > *ahem* Not to be an ass, but it would be wrong to point out that you
          > would get $50 off by using the promo code "GEEKCRED"? *evilgrin*
          >
          > Steve Riekeberg
          > Host, Geek Cred
          > <http://www.geekcred.net>
          >
          > geekdimension wrote:
          > >
          > > Dream Host is a bad a my cell phone company.
          > >
          > > Pay Monthly @ $10.95/mo + $49.95 setup = $60.90
          > >
          > > Pay Yearly @ $9.95/mo: 9% off + no setup = $119.40
          > >
          > > Pay for 2 Years @ $8.95/mo: 18% off + no setup = $214.80
          > >
          > > Pay for 3 Years @ $7.95/mo: 27% off + no setup = $286.20
          > >
          > > Pay for 5 Years @ $6.95/mo: 36% off + no setup = $417.00
          > >
          > > Pay for 10 Years @ $5.95/mo: 45% off + no setup = $714.00
          > >
          > > What is the best plan for a "want-to-be" podcaster?So far I have:
          > > A domain name, 4 Shure SM58 Microphones, the Zoom H2 (on order) and a
          > > very well use copy of Podcasting for Dummies, "Man, I like this book."
          > >
          > > I know I need to get: Mic cables, Mic stands, Windscreens, a mixer,
          > > and a really good idea of what to podcast about.
          > >
          > > I ordered "Tricks of the Podcasting Master" from Amazon.com (that was
          > > December 11th,2007) and its not come in yet. If it doesn't come in
          > > tomorrow, (that's last date that it should be in.)I'm going to email
          > > them and ask WHY I DON'T HAVE IT!
          > > Dang!
          > >
          > > Sorry for the rant, I've got a cold and don't feel good.

          -----
          Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4
        • Shawn Thorpe
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
            On Jan 1, 2008 8:48 PM, geekdimension <geekdimension@...> wrote:

            > Dream Host is a bad a my cell phone company.
            >
            > Pay Monthly @ $10.95/mo + $49.95 setup = $60.90
            >
            > Pay Yearly @ $9.95/mo: 9% off + no setup = $119.40
            >
            > Pay for 2 Years @ $8.95/mo: 18% off + no setup = $214.80
            >
            > Pay for 3 Years @ $7.95/mo: 27% off + no setup = $286.20
            >
            > Pay for 5 Years @ $6.95/mo: 36% off + no setup = $417.00
            >
            > Pay for 10 Years @ $5.95/mo: 45% off + no setup = $714.00
            >
            > What is the best plan for a "want-to-be" podcaster?So far I have:
            > A domain name, 4 Shure SM58 Microphones, the Zoom H2 (on order) and a
            > very well use copy of Podcasting for Dummies, "Man, I like this book."
            >
            > I know I need to get: Mic cables, Mic stands, Windscreens, a mixer,
            > and a really good idea of what to podcast about.
            >
            > I ordered "Tricks of the Podcasting Master" from Amazon.com (that was
            > December 11th,2007) and its not come in yet. If it doesn't come in
            > tomorrow, (that's last date that it should be in.)I'm going to email
            > them and ask WHY I DON'T HAVE IT!
            > Dang!
            >
            > Sorry for the rant, I've got a cold and don't feel good.
            >
            > __,_._,__
            > .

            Steve R. has a good point. Use a DreamHost promo code (such as mine -
            "PPM") and you'll receive a discount. When I signed up, I used a promo code
            from one of the other members of this group and got a pretty serious deal on
            my first year's worth of hosting. I think DreamHost's promotional offers
            have changed since then. But it's still a pretty good deal. Looks like
            you've got a pretty good handle on everything else you need.

            --
            -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
            Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

            Shawnogram - Content = life.
            http://www.shawnogram.com/

            Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
            http://www.phantompower.org/

          • Steve Riekeberg
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
              Very good point. Depending on your needs, LibSyn is the way to go for
              some. For me, I've been happy with DreamHost, it's great for what I do.

              Steve Riekeberg
              Host, Geek Cred
              <http://www.geekcred.net>

              Nobilis wrote:

              > I should point out that you can get started on Libsyn for $5, and then
              > bump to a higher plan after you get your feet under you.
              >
              > On Jan 1, 2008 11:56 PM, Steve Riekeberg <missingintellect@...
              > <mailto:missingintellect%40gmail.com>> wrote:
              > > Well it's all the same plan, just look at it this way: if you pay in
              > > advance you get a discount, and the more you pay for in advance, the
              > > bigger the discount. Personally, I went for a year. (Though they've
              > > increased what they've changed things around and increased what they
              > > offer since I signed up a year ago.)
              > >
              > > *ahem* Not to be an ass, but it would be wrong to point out that you
              > > would get $50 off by using the promo code "GEEKCRED"? *evilgrin*
              > >
              > > Steve Riekeberg
              > > Host, Geek Cred
              > > <http://www.geekcred.net <http://www.geekcred.net>>
              > >
              > > geekdimension wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Dream Host is a bad a my cell phone company.
              > > >
              > > > Pay Monthly @ $10.95/mo + $49.95 setup = $60.90
              > > >
              > > > Pay Yearly @ $9.95/mo: 9% off + no setup = $119.40
              > > >
              > > > Pay for 2 Years @ $8.95/mo: 18% off + no setup = $214.80
              > > >
              > > > Pay for 3 Years @ $7.95/mo: 27% off + no setup = $286.20
              > > >
              > > > Pay for 5 Years @ $6.95/mo: 36% off + no setup = $417.00
              > > >
              > > > Pay for 10 Years @ $5.95/mo: 45% off + no setup = $714.00
              > > >
              > > > What is the best plan for a "want-to-be" podcaster?So far I have:
              > > > A domain name, 4 Shure SM58 Microphones, the Zoom H2 (on order) and a
              > > > very well use copy of Podcasting for Dummies, "Man, I like this book."
              > > >
              > > > I know I need to get: Mic cables, Mic stands, Windscreens, a mixer,
              > > > and a really good idea of what to podcast about.
              > > >
              > > > I ordered "Tricks of the Podcasting Master" from Amazon.com (that was
              > > > December 11th,2007) and its not come in yet. If it doesn't come in
              > > > tomorrow, (that's last date that it should be in.)I'm going to email
              > > > them and ask WHY I DON'T HAVE IT!
              > > > Dang!
              > > >
              > > > Sorry for the rant, I've got a cold and don't feel good.

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > >

              > --
              > Weekly erotica served up on your ipod or mp3 player -- subscribe to
              > Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com <http://nobilis.libsyn.com>
              > -----
              > Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4
              > <http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4>

            • Blasterbot5555
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
                Can I offer up some advice as a fellow newbie to podcasting? I don't
                think it's wise to buy into any long-term hosting plans until you're
                sure it's something you actually want to continue in the long-term.
                Not to rain on your parade or anything, but how do you know you'll
                want to be podcasting even a year from now? I know it's important to
                plan for success, but I think it's also important to give yourself an
                "out" if you decide at some point down the line that you want to stop.
                That's what I'm doing.

                My own super-inexpensive starter plan: podcast hosting through libsyn
                ($5 a month), website hosting through Cyberland USA (been using them
                for years for my business site and they're terrific--base plan is just
                $21 a year for 100MB of space/3GB of transfer). Both are easily
                upgradable if my podcast becomes successful. If I want to stop at some
                point, both are easily dump-able.
              • David
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
                  good point. I Went for two years then stopped. Lost interest. libsyn
                  is perfect for hosting. Get the Alesis multi mix 8. Only around $150
                  and your good to go with your 58's and a usb out to your computer.

                  David
                  behindtheweddingmic.com
                • mrniceguyshow_mk
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
                    I strongly agree with Blasterbot's advice (below).

                    The most important thing you need to worry about is content, what
                    you're going to say and how you're going to say it, not stuff, gadgets
                    or hosting. Find options and gear that are good enough to get you
                    started, not commit or bankrupt you or give you bragging material to
                    wave at other podcasters. It's all about the listeners and the content.

                    I have found _Podcast Solutions_ by Geoghegan and Klass to be the
                    absolute best startup guide out there and I see that a second edition
                    just came out in November (I don't know the authors or profit from
                    this. I really like the book).

                    I think everything else you should be reading for your podcast
                    preparation should be content - not process - related.

                    Good luck.

                    -M!

                    http://MrNiceGuyShow.com/

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Blasterbot5555:
                    > Can I offer up some advice as a fellow newbie to podcasting? I don't
                    > think it's wise to buy into any long-term hosting plans until you're
                    > sure it's something you actually want to continue in the long-term.
                    > Not to rain on your parade or anything, but how do you know you'll
                    > want to be podcasting even a year from now? I know it's important to
                    > plan for success, but I think it's also important to give yourself an
                    > "out" if you decide at some point down the line that you want to stop.
                    > That's what I'm doing.
                    <snip>