recording devices..

  • April L Clay
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hello all and Happy New Year!

      After some time away from the list, I am ready to jump back in! Enough procrastinating, I am ready to get my first podcast together!

      I do have a question for you all- I am wanting a device to record interviews with guests AND something that can clearly pick up talks that I give as well. I figure I could use all or portions of these as teleseminars.

      What would you recommend? Ease of use would be nice...like easy integration with audacity and/or easy conversion to MP3 format.

      Thanks in advance,
      April

      April Clay, M.Ed, R. Psych.
      Body Mind & Motion
      "mental skills for sport and life"
      www.bodymindmotion.com

    • kevingib@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2008
        April,

        Check-out the Zoom H2.

        kg
        Kansas City, MO

        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2008
          Zoom H2 examples, photos, reviews, and settings.
          http://www.stinkfight.com/2007/09/20/gettin-great-sound-with-the-zoom-h2/
          and
          http://www.stinkfight.com/2007/08/31/my-review-of-the-new-zoom-h2-portable-digital-recorder/

          MWD
          "Clone The Homeless"
          Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
          was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
          http://www.clonethehomeless.com
        • Paul Bowling
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 1, 2008
            April,
            I just began using the Zoom H4 with an Azden 300 series wireless mike
            with great success. I'm using it for seminars and training. I use the
            bodypack for myself and the plug in Mic transmitter for questions from
            the attendees. It records as a MP3 on a SD card and transfers nicely to
            Audacity. I haven't used it to connect directly to my notebook as I
            usually have my PP presentation on it. I like to keep it simple so it
            easier for me to record on the SD and transfer it. The entire set up is
            very portable, easy and quick to set up and take down. I use
            rechargeable batteries (AA & 9V) and have the entire set up packs in a
            Pelican case.
            Paul

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 1, 2008
              I am finally getting around to pulling files from the H2 to my computer
              (I've recorded a lot but with the kids home for holidays, I haven't had a
              lot of computer time other than email-reading and Live Journal posting.). So
              yeah, I see a media reader coming up sometime in my future. Copying files is
              SLOW!!!!

              Laura

              On Jan 1, 2008 10:29 PM, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

              > Zoom H2 examples, photos, reviews, and settings.
              > http://www.stinkfight.com/2007/09/20/gettin-great-sound-with-the-zoom-h2/
              > and
              >
              > http://www.stinkfight.com/2007/08/31/my-review-of-the-new-zoom-h2-portable-digital-recorder/
              >
              > MWD
              > "Clone The Homeless"
              > Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
              > was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
              > http://www.clonethehomeless.com

              Laura Ross

              The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
              http://coffeeandteashow.com
              Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
              coffeeandteashow@...

              Rocky Horror Pod Show
              http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
              Listener hotline: 206-350-0972 (note NEWER new number!)
              rockypod@...
              Join the Rockypod Google Group at http://groups.google.com/group/rockypod

            • April L Clay
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 1, 2008
                I found this one and its a good price at futureshop (can easily pick up tomorrow, and would like to record a talk I am giving Thurs.) Its a panasonic and the specs are below...anyone have it? is it as good as it looks??

                Thanks April (trying to figure out this technology!)

                RR-US500
                Slim, Compact IC Recorder with USB Cradle, Voice Editing Software and Two Rechargeable AAA Batteries

                Voice Activated System (VAS) Yes
                Sound Level Meter Yes
                Built-in Front Speaker Yes
                Recording Capacity 5 Folders / 99 Files per Folder (495 Total Files)
                Recording Time Up to 66 hours & 50 minutes (Monaural: SP Mode)
                Up to 33 hours & 20 minutes (Stereo: SP Mode)
                Included Software Voice Editing Ver. 1.0 Premium Edition (Speech to Text, Text to Speech, Translation)
                USB Terminal & Cable (for linking to a compatible PC) Yes
                Super-slim Design Yes
                Jacks Mic and Headphone (input/output)
                Dictation Record Mode Yes
                Playback Speeds 5
                Meeting and Dictation Mode Switch Yes
                Timer Record and Timer Play Yes
                Standard Accessories Two Rechargeable AAA Batteries
                Mini jack cable (M3-M3)
                AC Adaptor
                Dimensions (H x W x D) 411/16'' x 15/16'' x 019/32''
                Weight 0.09 lbs

              • Flyswatter
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 1, 2008
                  This does not seem like what I personally would want. I can't tell from the
                  specs what format the recorded files are: MP3, AAC, WAV, AIFF, or some other
                  format. Looking at customer reviews on Amazon (
                  http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RR-US500-Compact-Recorder-Software/dp/B000GLODHO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199250934&sr=8-1)
                  shows that the device has a really bad background hiss, is not
                  Mac-compatible (may not be a problem for you), broke very quickly, etc.

                  It seems more like a dictation recorder rather than a podcasting-quality
                  device, but then again, I know some people who podcast with their cellphones
                  so who am I to judge? But the lack of format information is very worrisome.
                  Audio podcasts should be MP3s or something that will play in somebody's MP3
                  player or computer without having to use extraordinary software. Sorry!
                  ::shrug::

                  Laura

                  On Jan 1, 2008 11:31 PM, April L Clay <aclay@...> wrote:

                  > I found this one and its a good price at futureshop (can easily pick up
                  > tomorrow, and would like to record a talk I am giving Thurs.) Its a
                  > panasonic and the specs are below...anyone have it? is it as good as it
                  > looks??
                  >
                  > Thanks April (trying to figure out this technology!)
                  >
                  > RR-US500
                  > Slim, Compact IC Recorder with USB Cradle, Voice Editing Software and Two
                  > Rechargeable AAA Batteries
                  >
                  > Voice Activated System (VAS) Yes
                  > Sound Level Meter Yes
                  > Built-in Front Speaker Yes
                  > Recording Capacity 5 Folders / 99 Files per Folder (495 Total Files)
                  > Recording Time Up to 66 hours & 50 minutes (Monaural: SP Mode)
                  > Up to 33 hours & 20 minutes (Stereo: SP Mode)
                  > Included Software Voice Editing Ver. 1.0 Premium Edition (Speech to Text,
                  > Text to Speech, Translation)
                  > USB Terminal & Cable (for linking to a compatible PC) Yes
                  > Super-slim Design Yes
                  > Jacks Mic and Headphone (input/output)
                  > Dictation Record Mode Yes
                  > Playback Speeds 5
                  > Meeting and Dictation Mode Switch Yes
                  > Timer Record and Timer Play Yes
                  > Standard Accessories Two Rechargeable AAA Batteries
                  > Mini jack cable (M3-M3)
                  > AC Adaptor
                  > Dimensions (H x W x D) 411/16'' x 15/16'' x 019/32''
                  > Weight 0.09 lbs

                  Laura Ross

                  The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
                  http://coffeeandteashow.com
                  Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
                  coffeeandteashow@...

                  Rocky Horror Pod Show
                  http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
                  Listener hotline: 206-350-0972 (note NEWER new number!)
                  rockypod@...
                  Join the Rockypod Google Group at http://groups.google.com/group/rockypod

                • Steve Riekeberg
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 1, 2008
                    I think you'd definitely be a bit better snatching up a used iRiver off
                    of eBay. I got my IFP-890 for about twenty bucks and couldn't be happier.

                    Steve Riekeberg
                    Host, Geek Cred
                    <http://www.geekcred.net>

                    Flyswatter wrote:

> [...]
                    > > Super-slim Design Yes
                    > > Jacks Mic and Headphone (input/output)
                    > > Dictation Record Mode Yes
                    > > Playback Speeds 5
                    > > Meeting and Dictation Mode Switch Yes
                    > > Timer Record and Timer Play Yes
                    > > Standard Accessories Two Rechargeable AAA Batteries
                    > > Mini jack cable (M3-M3)
                    > > AC Adaptor
                    > > Dimensions (H x W x D) 411/16'' x 15/16'' x 019/32''
                    > > Weight 0.09 lbs

                    > Laura Ross
                    >
                    > The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
                    > http://coffeeandteashow.com <http://coffeeandteashow.com>
                    > Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
                    > coffeeandteashow@... <mailto:coffeeandteashow%40gmail.com>
                    >
                    > Rocky Horror Pod Show
                    > http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
                    > <http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com>
                    > Listener hotline: 206-350-0972 (note NEWER new number!)

                  • Richard Amirault
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                      From: "April L Clay"
                      (snip)
                      > RR-US500
                      (snip)

                      Do yourself a favor and stay away from this. This is commonaly called a
                      "digital voice recorder" and while it is decent for recording notes in a
                      classroom or a business meeting it is not high enough quality for what most
                      folks would want for podcasting.

                      I have two similar units by Olympus. If I remember correctly, it records in
                      it's own format, but when you upload it to your computer it converts it to
                      wav files. You then have to convert *that* to mp3 if you want.

                      The Zoom H-2 would be your best bet.

                      Richard Amirault
                      Boston, MA, USA
                      http://n1jdu.org
                      http://bostonfandom.org
                    • Paul Bowling
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                        Richard,
                        I use the Olympus WS-300M and these ARE NOT podcast quality. It serves
                        the purpose of dictation, personal notes, etc. It does have a mic in and
                        ear out but I haven't used those features. The nice thing is they plug
                        directly into a USB port and the flies are easily transferred to my
                        computer.
                        de W4ATN
                        Paul

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                          Thanks all for your comments. I can see this is not the way to go...but the Zoom doesn't seem to be available in any store here (Canada) so where/how is the best way to buy this and...is it something that you can just set down on a podium while you are talking or do you have to use a mic and have it on me while I give a presentation? It looks a little bulky but its hard to tell from the shots.

                          thanks again,
                          April

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                            April,

                            The Zoom H2 is a stand alone recorder that will work great for your application. Bulky is a relative term, but I would not classify the H2 as bulky. It will record well from the podium as you are speaking -- and you can power it with batteries, so there are no cords for you to worry about.

                            There are probably a myriad of places to purchase the Zoom, here is one place you might try:
                            http://www.fullcompass.com/product/335840.html

                            Cheers,

                            Kevin Gibson

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                              I got mine from Amazon for $181 U.S. It comes with a small desk stand and
                              mic stand adaptor and can use a camera tripod. It also uses SD cards, which
                              are cheap and readily available and is powered by 2 AA batteries or an
                              included power adaptor. It also comes with a windscreen so you can record
                              outside without wind noise. The size? Small. It easily fits in your hand.

                              Laura

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                                Kevin, do I need to order anything else with it or does it come with everything I need? I'm ready to order!!

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                                  It even comes with a 512K SD card, though you'll probably want to get a
                                  larger one eventually.

                                • David Smith
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                                    It was 1 Jan 2008, when April L Clay commented:

                                    > Hello all and Happy New Year!
                                    >
                                    > After some time away from the list, I am ready to jump back in! Enough
                                    > procrastinating, I am ready to get my first podcast together!
                                    >
                                    > I do have a question for you all- I am wanting a device to record
                                    > interviews with guests AND something that can clearly pick up talks that I
                                    > give as well. I figure I could use all or portions of these as
                                    > teleseminars.
                                    >
                                    > What would you recommend? Ease of use would be nice...like easy
                                    > integration with audacity and/or easy conversion to MP3 format.

                                    Since you're just starting out, you'd do best plugging a microphone into
                                    your laptop and do the best you can with the input you record. Since it's
                                    just People Talking, you'll probably do fine. And you can certainly
                                    create a podcast from that. People do, all the time.

                                    If you want one device that'll create an MP3 file from whatever audio you
                                    record, I'd recomment a Samson Zoom H2. It's not perfect, and it ain't
                                    cheap, but you apparently have the money, and it'll make your recording
                                    simpler. Then you have to do some editing, but you're starting with
                                    decent quality, and you can do the rest.

                                    Wish I owned one. <sigh>

                                    --
                                    Grizzly's Growls
                                    Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 2, 2008
                                      April

                                      Most of the Zoom products are available at your local music store. In
                                      Calgary, I go to Axe music ( http://www.axemusic.com ) or Long &
                                      McQuade ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/ ). If there's a local guitar
                                      shop, such as Guitarworks ( http://www.guitarworksonline.com/ ) I've
                                      seen them there too.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                                        Thanks Kurt, I actually picked one up yesterday at Music Centre Canada on MacLeod Trail. I am excited to launch its use tonight at my talk!
                                        April

                                        Most of the Zoom products are available at your local music store. In
                                        Calgary, I go to Axe music ( http://www.axemusic.com ) or Long &
                                        McQuade ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/ ). If there's a local guitar
                                        shop, such as Guitarworks ( http://www.guitarworksonline.com/ ) I've
                                        seen them there too.

                                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "April L Clay" <aclay@...> wrote:

                                        > Thanks all for your comments. I can see this is not the way to
                                        go...but the Zoom doesn't seem to be available in any store here
                                        (Canada) so where/how is the best way to buy this and...is it
                                        something that you can just set down on a podium while you are talking
                                        or do you have to use a mic and have it on me while I give a
                                        presentation? It looks a little bulky but its hard to tell from the
                                        shots.

                                        > thanks again,
                                        > April

                                      • Noble Acuff
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 3, 2008
                                          For what it's worth: I've owned an H2 for a couple of months now, and
                                          although I haven't done just a ton of recording with it I've been
                                          happy with it so far. The recording quality is reasonably good
                                          (especially for the price), the unit has a lot of features, and it's
                                          got built in mics on the front and the back that let you capture sound
                                          in a variety of ways.

                                          The only major complaints I've had so far are:

                                          - there's no built in speaker for playback. This seems common with the
                                          higher-end recorders (i.e. not the little Olympus dictation ones) but
                                          it doesn't make much sense to me. You've got to plug ear buds into it
                                          to check what you've captured.

                                          - the build quality feels a bit on the cheap side. Not a major
                                          complaint, as long as it holds up over time

                                          - the buttons are a bit too small if you have large hands

                                          - no XLR inputs for professional mics. I wouldn't expect this for the
                                          price though.

                                          Hope this helps!