Re: [podcasters] Podfading: At what point is a podcast considered gone for good?

  • Erk Pod
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 1, 2008
      A mate of mine decided after listening to my podcast that he'd like to do
      one. So I gave his first episode a listen which wasn't bad for an episode 1
      considering that he plugged a mic into his computer and off he went. I gave
      him some tips on how to improve his audio and one day he invited me to bring
      my gear around to his place and record an episode, so I did.

      So he saw my gear and I told him about how it works but also how he could
      improve his audio with what he had until he decided that he wanted to keep
      going or not. We had a great time recording that episode even though most of
      it ended up on the cutting room floor. After that episode I found the
      program I use to insert intros etc live while recording so that episode was
      a good one in the total scheme of things.

      He decided to podfade after one episode (partly money, partly equipment,
      partly time) but at the very least, I now have a ready made guest or back up
      co-host who knows what I do who also gives me feedback as well.

      I'm sure some people think that 10 minutes of show means 10 minutes of
      recording, 2 minutes of uploading and that's it but most of us here know
      different!

      --
      Erk
      Sydney, Australia

      WEBSITES:
      Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au

      Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com

      FEEDS
      Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml

      Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml

      Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

    • David Smith
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
        FWIW, you would not be the first person to perceive that particular
        threshhold and act upon it. I think "calendar year" might be another
        threshhold. I just reached 1/1/2008 along with everybody else, and I've
        got two important motivators, on top of "I'm gonna keep going, damnit!"

        (1) I did 2007, and I'm done.

        (2) The accounting is really simple.

        (3) I get to claim that I was a podcaster for "a year."

        (4) A certain percentage of people don't know how to count to two.

        It was 1 Jan 2008, when P. Dilly commented:

        --
        Grizzly's Growls
        Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
          Ya know, one podcast (sadly overlooked) I think would be ideal for people
          who have stuff to say, and no where to say it, and don't want to go with a
          full-horsepower podcast, would be "Five Minute Memoir."

          I still have the RSS link in my half-assed feeder, that converts the show-
          notes to an email and converts the audio file to a file on my host machine
          at home. Haven't seen any traffic, sad to say.

          You get five minutes -- you're unlikely to get more, whoever's listening --
          your Mom will lie and claim that she heard the whole thing, and who wants
          to tell Mom she lied?

          You tell a story about something you know about. Who other than you can
          tell your story from your perspective?

          You get edited by somebody who knows better than you do about how to edit
          for a podcast.

          And if you have no other stories, well, you're done, and you don't have
          all the stuff entailed to produce the rest of a podcast you'll never
          produce anyway.

          Damned if I can remember who produces that, but that seems like an ideal
          venue for such authors.

          My sister has produced several (actually, rather good, Sister
          notwithstanding) articles for specialized magazine, and I seem to recall
          I've suggested this for her.

          So, if you wanna try producing a story-based podcast, this is one place to
          put your actual content (lacking a whole bunch of processing you'll know
          how to do someday) in front of an actual audience -- potentially the whole
          online world.

          I forget who was doing that, but I think he's still out there somewhere...

          Anyway, if it's still out there, I'd be happy to put up a post on my blog
          pointing back to Five Minute Memoir, for that particular purpose.

          It was 2 Jan 2008, when Erk Pod commented:

          --
          Grizzly's Growls
          Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
          Listen or Subscribe:
          <http://feeds.feedburner.com/grizzlysgrowls>
        • michael
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
            My podcast (all ten episodes so far) fades in and out of podfade. I have
            all the music for the 11th episode, just need to find a hour of my time to
            put it together.. No, its not a hour long show, its 10 songs with me being a
            smart ass in-between. My goal was to have it done before Christmas.. Now my
            goal is to have it done before 2009 gets here :-)

            tempus

            --
            Grizzly's Growls
            Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com> libsyn.com>

            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
              Well, unless there's some minor provision of the USA Patriot Act I'm
              unaware of, I'd do a dozen different episodes, get maybe a week or two
              ahead (assuming daily shows, which apparently you could do), and then you
              need only 10 minutes each to crank out a particular episode. Then you can
              devote a week to the episode after all those you've just recorded. Or a
              day, so you can stay a week or so ahead. I'm never more than 4 seconds
              ahead. I'm usually a week or three behind.

              Or, you could wait till you have time to record a whole hour. Good luck
              with that. Never done it, but I've heard people do.

              It was 2 Jan 2008, when michael commented:

              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
                It's a music podcast, so the hard part (outside of finding some time) is
                finding the music. I guess I could drop it down to 5 songs, but that seems
                so limiting. my biggest issue is time. Since I work from home finding time
                seems to be an issue. once 6pm gets here I really don't want to be in the
                computer room, and all the printing and phone ringing would just end up
                being in the cast and that's really not acceptable as far as I am concerned.
                Its just a hobby for me. My original goal was 2 episodes a month which was
                doable until my family business became a member of NACES (www.naces.org
                <http://www.naces.org/> ) and now doing anything like that is near
                impossible. of course owning guitar hero III for the WII cuts into my time
                as well..

                [mailto:podcasters@yahoogro <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com]
> [...]
                though
                > > most of it ended up on the cutting room floor. After that episode I
                found
                > > the program I use to insert intros etc live while recording so that
                > > episode
                > was
                > > a good one in the total scheme of things.
                > >
                > > He decided to podfade after one episode (partly money, partly equipment,
                > > partly time) but at the very least, I now have a ready made guest or
                back
                > > up co-host who knows what I do who also gives me feedback as well.
                > >

                > > I'm sure some people think that 10 minutes of show means 10 minutes of
                > > recording, 2 minutes of uploading and that's it but most of us here know
                > > different!
                > --
                > Grizzly's Growls
                > The Life and Times of a Minor Local Celebrity

              • P.G. Holyfield
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 3, 2008
                  Five Minute Memoir is Matthew Wayne Selznick's podcast. I'm hoping he
                  will start it back up when he returns to the podosphere this spring.

                  Actually I see on his website that Matt is asking if anyone is
                  interested in stewarding a season two of FMM.

                  http://fiveminutememoir.com

                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <dbsmith@...> wrote:

                  > Ya know, one podcast (sadly overlooked) I think would be ideal for
                  people
                  > who have stuff to say, and no where to say it, and don't want to go
                  with a
                  > full-horsepower podcast, would be "Five Minute Memoir."
                  >
                  > I still have the RSS link in my half-assed feeder, that converts the
                  show-
                  > notes to an email and converts the audio file to a file on my host
                  machine
                  > at home. Haven't seen any traffic, sad to say.
                  >
                  > You get five minutes -- you're unlikely to get more, whoever's
                  listening --
                  > your Mom will lie and claim that she heard the whole thing, and who
                  wants
                  > to tell Mom she lied?
                  >
                  > You tell a story about something you know about. Who other than you can
                  > tell your story from your perspective?
                  >
                  > You get edited by somebody who knows better than you do about how to
                  edit
                  > for a podcast.
                  >
                  > And if you have no other stories, well, you're done, and you don't have
                  > all the stuff entailed to produce the rest of a podcast you'll never
                  > produce anyway.
                  >
                  > Damned if I can remember who produces that, but that seems like an
                  ideal
                  > venue for such authors.
                  >
                  > My sister has produced several (actually, rather good, Sister
                  > notwithstanding) articles for specialized magazine, and I seem to
                  recall
                  > I've suggested this for her.
                  >
                  > So, if you wanna try producing a story-based podcast, this is one
                  place to
                  > put your actual content (lacking a whole bunch of processing you'll
                  know
                  > how to do someday) in front of an actual audience -- potentially the
                  whole
                  > online world.
                  >
                  > I forget who was doing that, but I think he's still out there
                  somewhere...

                  > Anyway, if it's still out there, I'd be happy to put up a post on my
                  blog
                  > pointing back to Five Minute Memoir, for that particular purpose.

                • Dan Kuykendall
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 4, 2008
                    I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should produce
                    a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed once in
                    awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                    traffic to the musicians site as well

                    P.G. Holyfield wrote:

                    > Five Minute Memoir is Matthew Wayne Selznick's podcast. I'm hoping he
                    > will start it back up when he returns to the podosphere this spring.
                    >
                    > Actually I see on his website that Matt is asking if anyone is
                    > interested in stewarding a season two of FMM.

                    --
                    Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
                    http://www.mightyseek.com

                    The ultimate security is your understanding of reality.
                  • Erk Pod
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 4, 2008
                      On Jan 5, 2008 10:56 AM, Dan Kuykendall <dan@...> wrote:

                      > I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should produce
                      > a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed once in
                      > awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                      > traffic to the musicians site as well

                      I remember when one of our TV stations went off air for a few hours one
                      night and the ratings (via an electronic box located on the top of the TV)
                      still said that a lot of people were still watching that station. Maybe an
                      idea might be to record a short piece like an answering machine message and
                      put that on the feed saying briefly why you aren't there and when you expect
                      to be back (if known).

                      I saw that OG put a text document of some sort into his feed once that I
                      noticed when I was catching up on episodes. I clicked on it in iTunes and
                      read whatever it said (might have been some new feed info). How did you do
                      that, OG?

                      Erk

                      Erk
                      Sydney, Australia

                      WEBSITES:
                      Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au

                      Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com

                      FEEDS
                      Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml

                      Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml

                      Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

                    • Brains Matter
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 4, 2008
                        Erk,

                        That was just a pdf document. Feeds normally accept other file
                        formats, not just mp3/mp4/etc. so the feed readers and iTunes usually
                        take that happily.

                        I use Pages, but of course you can write something up in Word or a
                        windows equivalent, and then save it to PDF format (remember not
                        everyone has - or likes - Word)

                        OG

                        --
                        Brains Matter Podcast
                        Melbourne, Australia

                        On 05/01/2008, at 11:27 AM, Erk Pod wrote:

                        > On Jan 5, 2008 10:56 AM, Dan Kuykendall <dan@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should
                        > produce
                        > > a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed
                        > once in
                        > > awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                        > > traffic to the musicians site as well
                        > >

                        > I remember when one of our TV stations went off air for a few hours
                        > one
                        > night and the ratings (via an electronic box located on the top of
                        > the TV)
                        > still said that a lot of people were still watching that station.
                        > Maybe an
                        > idea might be to record a short piece like an answering machine
                        > message and
                        > put that on the feed saying briefly why you aren't there and when
                        > you expect
                        > to be back (if known).
                        >
                        > I saw that OG put a text document of some sort into his feed once
                        > that I
                        > noticed when I was catching up on episodes. I clicked on it in
                        > iTunes and
                        > read whatever it said (might have been some new feed info). How did
                        > you do
                        > that, OG?
                        >
                        > Erk
                        >
                        > Erk
                        > Sydney, Australia
                        >
                        > WEBSITES:
                        > Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au
                        >
                        > Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com
                        >
                        > FEEDS
                        > Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml
                        >
                        > Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml
                        >
                        > Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

                      • David Grizzly Smith
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 5, 2008
                          I passed the suggestion along to one of my favorite songwriters. Hmmm...
                          Just thought of another one to ask!

                          It was 4 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 12, 2008
                            any luck?

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                              Nope, no word yet, but it's not the most inspirational topic. Well, here,
                              maybe.

                              You know who has excellent podcast-related composers? Leo LaPorte.
                              Anybody know him well enough to ask? <grin>

                              It was 12 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:

                              > any luck?
                              >
                              > David Grizzly Smith wrote:
                              > >

                              > > I passed the suggestion along to one of my favorite songwriters. Hmmm...
                              > > Just thought of another one to ask!
                              > >
                              > > It was 4 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:
                              > >
                              > >> I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should produce
                              > >> a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed once in
                              > >> awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                              > >> traffic to the musicians site as well
                              --
                              Grizzly's Growls
                              Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                            • Steven R. Boyett
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                <<I keep thinking that someone should produce a "Im not a podfader" song,
                                which people can post on their feed once in awhile during a hiatus..>>
                                So ... do y'all just assume you're only podcasting to other podcasters? Cuz
                                that approach seems pretty self-fulfilling to me. I mean, you're about
                                *this* far from SF filking territory right now.

                                --steve boyett

                                _____

                                > David Grizzly Smith wrote:
                                > >

                                > > I passed the suggestion along to one of my favorite songwriters. Hmmm...
                                > > Just thought of another one to ask!
                                > >
                                > > It was 4 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:
                                > >
                                > >> I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should
                                produce
                                > >> a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed once in
                                > >> awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                                > >> traffic to the musicians site as well
                                --
                                Grizzly's Growls
                                Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com> libsyn.com>
                                Blog: <http://grizzlysgrow <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com>
                                ls.blogspot.com>

                              • David Smith
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                  Not sure if this was addressed to me or to the thread, but I'd assume to
                                  the thread at large. As Ringo Starr said when he was first brought in to
                                  replace the first Beatle's drummer, who's name I forget: "I'm just happy
                                  to be here."

                                  I have no idea who's listening. They don't talk to me, and they're not
                                  obligated to, of course, but I'm continually curious. It appears from
                                  what I can find out that I have a significant percentage of listeners in
                                  other countries, and I haven't seen a lot of podcasters in here, anyway,
                                  from China or India, for example, though I suppose there must be some,
                                  huh? I'm amazed there's anybody out there.

                                  It may well be that a significant percentage are podcasters themselves,
                                  though I'd be surprised if I sustain enough quality to support such
                                  interest. It seems more likely many are Aspies like me, who are as amazed
                                  as I am that I can keep doing this stuff. For those folks, it's a shame I
                                  don't know more about the technical aspects of the condition to speak to
                                  it intelligently.

                                  But maybe I'm not understanding the question?

                                  It was 13 Jan 2008, when Steven R. Boyett commented:

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                    Few people outside of podcasting know what "podfading" means, and a song
                                    about it on your podcast wouldn't make a lick of sense to them.

                                    --steve boyett

                                    _____

                                    Not sure if this was addressed to me or to the thread, but I'd assume to
                                    the thread at large. As Ringo Starr said when he was first brought in to
                                    replace the first Beatle's drummer, who's name I forget: "I'm just happy
                                    to be here."

                                    I have no idea who's listening. They don't talk to me, and they're not
                                    obligated to, of course, but I'm continually curious. It appears from
                                    what I can find out that I have a significant percentage of listeners in
                                    other countries, and I haven't seen a lot of podcasters in here, anyway,
                                    from China or India, for example, though I suppose there must be some,
                                    huh? I'm amazed there's anybody out there.

                                    It may well be that a significant percentage are podcasters themselves,
                                    though I'd be surprised if I sustain enough quality to support such
                                    interest. It seems more likely many are Aspies like me, who are as amazed
                                    as I am that I can keep doing this stuff. For those folks, it's a shame I
                                    don't know more about the technical aspects of the condition to speak to
                                    it intelligently.

                                    But maybe I'm not understanding the question?

                                    It was 13 Jan 2008, when Steven R. Boyett commented:

                                    > <<I keep thinking that someone should produce a "Im not a podfader" song,
                                    > which people can post on their feed once in awhile during a hiatus..>> So
                                    > ... do y'all just assume you're only podcasting to other podcasters? Cuz
                                    > that approach seems pretty self-fulfilling to me. I mean, you're about
                                    > *this* far from SF filking territory right now.
                                    >

                                    > > David Grizzly Smith wrote:
                                    > > >

                                    > > > I passed the suggestion along to one of my favorite songwriters.
                                    > > > Hmmm... Just thought of another one to ask!
                                    > > >
                                    > > > It was 4 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:

                                    > produce
                                    > --
                                    > Grizzly's Growls
                                    > The Life and Times of a Minor Local Celebrity
                                    > Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                                    libsyn.com> libsyn.com>
                                    > Blog: <http://grizzlysgrow <http://grizzlysgrow
                                    <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com> ls.blogspot.com>
                                    > ls.blogspot.com>

                                    Grizzly's Growls
                                    Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com> libsyn.com>
                                    Blog: <http://grizzlysgrow <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com>
                                    ls.blogspot.com>

                                  • Nobilis
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                      On Jan 13, 2008 8:23 PM, Steven R. Boyett <steve@...> wrote:
                                      > Few people outside of podcasting know what "podfading" means, and a song
                                      > about it on your podcast wouldn't make a lick of sense to them.

                                      You mean that podcasters don't use the word in their podcasts?

                                      I think you're wrong.

                                      -----
                                      Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4
                                    • Steven R. Boyett
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                        No, I don't mean that at all. I mean that they use the word, but they're
                                        most likely talking to each other when they do. Exclusionary dialogue --
                                        podcasting is starting to remind me of science fiction fandom so much it's
                                        painful. And it occurs to me that if I'm right or totally wrong, either way
                                        it's probably pointless to even point it out.

                                        --steve b

                                        _____

                                        <mailto:steve%40steveboy.com> com> wrote:
                                        > Few people outside of podcasting know what "podfading" means, and a song
                                        > about it on your podcast wouldn't make a lick of sense to them.

                                        You mean that podcasters don't use the word in their podcasts?

                                        I think you're wrong.

                                        Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis. <http://nobilis.libsyn.com> libsyn.com
                                        -----
                                        Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.
                                        <http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4> com/2r25e4

                                      • David Smith
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 14, 2008
                                          I made the same point a while back, comparing it to the BBSing days. I
                                          think there's at least a potential difference, in that some may acquire an
                                          audience that is external to podcasting, eventually. Seems some have
                                          already done so.

                                          Makes me reconsider that radio station in San Francisco that was
                                          broadcasting podcasts -- at least it's an audience not dependent on
                                          knowledge of mostly obscure technology. Didn't like their licensing
                                          agreements, though.