Re: [podcasters] Podfading: At what point is a podcast considered gone for good?

  • Erk Pod
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 31, 2007
      24 months seems to me to be WAY too long!

      I think that there are two categories of older podcasts.

      Something like the companion podcast to "Podcasting for Dummies" only
      had a short run (22 eps?) but it is for a specific purpose but is
      still relevant and Tee himself definately hasn't podfaded!

      Maybe podfading should be about the podcaster than the show? You can
      stay with the same show/format or change or fade.

      Then I think you have a show that is regular and then all of a sudden
      with no explanation stop doing shows.

      Do podcasters or shows "jump the shark" too?

      Erk
      Erk Pod Mini starts today Jan 1. Can I go 5 minutes a day every day?
      Subscribe and find out!

      http://www.erkpod.com.au

      --
      Erk
      Sydney, Australia

      WEBSITES:
      Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au

      Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com

      FEEDS
      Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml

      Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml

      Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml
    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 31, 2007
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 1, 2008
          "As long as the podcaster is still paying for hosting, just because there
          aren't new episodes doesn't mean the show's gone," said the woman who hasn't
          yet unsubscribed to Nate and Di.

          On Dec 31, 2007 8:47 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...> wrote:

> [...]

          Laura Ross

          The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
          http://coffeeandteashow.com
          Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
          coffeeandteashow@...

          Rocky Horror Pod Show
          http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
          Listener hotline: 206-350-0972 (note NEWER new number!)
          rockypod@...
          Join the Rockypod Google Group at http://groups.google.com/group/rockypod

        • Larry Wanger
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 1, 2008
            I could be mistaken but the only one I know of that does this is
            Blubrry??? I seem to remember seeing messages saying that they do this
            after a certain amount of time. I'd love it if iTunes and others
            cleaned up their listings and removed shows that are not producing
            episodes but I think this is asking a lot. Consider the amount of time
            it might demand.

            DisabilityNation, an Audio Magazine by and for People with
            Disabilities. Listen at http://www.disabilitynation.net

          • Todd Cochrane
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 1, 2008
              Larry

              Yes we clean up the community listings no one wants to come to a website
              and find data that is months old. Podfaders are welcome back if they get
              active again but we remove listings on a regular basis.

              Todd..

              Larry Wanger wrote:

              > I could be mistaken but the only one I know of that does this is
              > Blubrry??? I seem to remember seeing messages saying that they do this
              > after a certain amount of time. I'd love it if iTunes and others
              > cleaned up their listings and removed shows that are not producing
              > episodes but I think this is asking a lot. Consider the amount of time
              > it might demand.
              >
              > DisabilityNation, an Audio Magazine by and for People with
              > Disabilities. Listen at http://www.disabilitynation.net
              > <http://www.disabilitynation.net>
              >
              > On Dec 31, 2007, at 5:39 PM, Katronix Serf wrote:
              >
              > > I realize this discussion probably has gone on before, but would
              > > there be benefit in a directory who "cleaned house" say "you haven't
              > > released an episode in 24 months, should we mark you as podfaded and
              > > remove you/put you on the podfaded list"
              > >
              > > Chris
              > >
              > > On Dec 31, 2007, at 4:10 PM, Stephen Eley wrote:
              > >
              > > > There's very little incentive for iTunes or other directories to
              > > take
              > > > content out of their listings. But take heart -- as your podcast
              > > gets
              > > > more established, with more links and subscrptions, you'll soon get
              > > > ahead of the fossils in the podcast listings and Google. Just keep
              > > > doing what you're doing, and do it well, and the right rewards will
              > > > come to you. And Have Fun.

              > > in a
              > > upon
              > > > category
              > > > started
              > > > tomorrow,
              > > > first

              > > > And why
              > > > content? How
              > > > (if no
              > > the
              > > sites
              > > > generations?

              > > > --
              > > > Have Fun,
              > > > Steve Eley (sfeley@... <mailto:sfeley%40gmail.com>)
              > > > ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine
              > > > http://www.escapepod.org <http://www.escapepod.org>

            • Erk Pod
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 1, 2008
                I was thinking about the exact same show last night and was wondering "are
                they still around?"

                Erk

                On Jan 2, 2008 4:11 AM, Flyswatter <luara.mom@...> wrote:

                > "As long as the podcaster is still paying for hosting, just because
                > there
                > aren't new episodes doesn't mean the show's gone," said the woman who
                > hasn't
                > yet unsubscribed to Nate and Di.

              • P. Dilly
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 1, 2008
                  we removed over 5,000 podcasts last year that podfadded from
                  PodcastPickle.com. When we were doing that we noticed that a large
                  percentage of the podfadders never made it to 5 episodes, Now a podcast must
                  have 5 episodes before we will place them in our directory.

                  On Jan 1, 2008 2:14 PM, Todd Cochrane <ceo@...> wrote:

                  > Larry
                  >
                  > Yes we clean up the community listings no one wants to come to a website
                  > and find data that is months old. Podfaders are welcome back if they get
                  > active again but we remove listings on a regular basis.
                  >
                  > Todd..
                  >
                  > Larry Wanger wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I could be mistaken but the only one I know of that does this is
                  > > Blubrry??? I seem to remember seeing messages saying that they do this
                  > > after a certain amount of time. I'd love it if iTunes and others
                  > > cleaned up their listings and removed shows that are not producing
                  > > episodes but I think this is asking a lot. Consider the amount of time
                  > > it might demand.
                  > >
                  > > DisabilityNation, an Audio Magazine by and for People with
                  > > Disabilities. Listen at http://www.disabilitynation.net
                  > > <http://www.disabilitynation.net>
                  > >
                  > > On Dec 31, 2007, at 5:39 PM, Katronix Serf wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > I realize this discussion probably has gone on before, but would
                  > > > there be benefit in a directory who "cleaned house" say "you haven't
                  > > > released an episode in 24 months, should we mark you as podfaded and
                  > > > remove you/put you on the podfaded list"
                  > > >
                  > > > Chris

                  > > > take
                  > > > gets

                  > > > in a
                  > > > upon

                  > > > the
                  > > > sites

                  > sfeley%40gmail.com>)

                  Gary Leland

                  Find out how you can spread the word about your podcast!
                  You can advertise your podcast with us for as low as $25 a month.
                  Click here for details: http://www.podcastpickle.com/index/adRatesRight/.

                  This is a great opportunity to register a domain name for your podcasts.
                  Podcast Pickle is a GoDaddy.com reseller.
                  Click here to get your domain: http://www.dilldomains.com/.

                • Erk Pod
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 1, 2008
                    A mate of mine decided after listening to my podcast that he'd like to do
                    one. So I gave his first episode a listen which wasn't bad for an episode 1
                    considering that he plugged a mic into his computer and off he went. I gave
                    him some tips on how to improve his audio and one day he invited me to bring
                    my gear around to his place and record an episode, so I did.

                    So he saw my gear and I told him about how it works but also how he could
                    improve his audio with what he had until he decided that he wanted to keep
                    going or not. We had a great time recording that episode even though most of
                    it ended up on the cutting room floor. After that episode I found the
                    program I use to insert intros etc live while recording so that episode was
                    a good one in the total scheme of things.

                    He decided to podfade after one episode (partly money, partly equipment,
                    partly time) but at the very least, I now have a ready made guest or back up
                    co-host who knows what I do who also gives me feedback as well.

                    I'm sure some people think that 10 minutes of show means 10 minutes of
                    recording, 2 minutes of uploading and that's it but most of us here know
                    different!

                    --
                    Erk
                    Sydney, Australia

                    WEBSITES:
                    Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au

                    Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com

                    FEEDS
                    Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml

                    Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml

                    Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

                  • David Smith
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
                      FWIW, you would not be the first person to perceive that particular
                      threshhold and act upon it. I think "calendar year" might be another
                      threshhold. I just reached 1/1/2008 along with everybody else, and I've
                      got two important motivators, on top of "I'm gonna keep going, damnit!"

                      (1) I did 2007, and I'm done.

                      (2) The accounting is really simple.

                      (3) I get to claim that I was a podcaster for "a year."

                      (4) A certain percentage of people don't know how to count to two.

                      It was 1 Jan 2008, when P. Dilly commented:

                      --
                      Grizzly's Growls
                      Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
                        Ya know, one podcast (sadly overlooked) I think would be ideal for people
                        who have stuff to say, and no where to say it, and don't want to go with a
                        full-horsepower podcast, would be "Five Minute Memoir."

                        I still have the RSS link in my half-assed feeder, that converts the show-
                        notes to an email and converts the audio file to a file on my host machine
                        at home. Haven't seen any traffic, sad to say.

                        You get five minutes -- you're unlikely to get more, whoever's listening --
                        your Mom will lie and claim that she heard the whole thing, and who wants
                        to tell Mom she lied?

                        You tell a story about something you know about. Who other than you can
                        tell your story from your perspective?

                        You get edited by somebody who knows better than you do about how to edit
                        for a podcast.

                        And if you have no other stories, well, you're done, and you don't have
                        all the stuff entailed to produce the rest of a podcast you'll never
                        produce anyway.

                        Damned if I can remember who produces that, but that seems like an ideal
                        venue for such authors.

                        My sister has produced several (actually, rather good, Sister
                        notwithstanding) articles for specialized magazine, and I seem to recall
                        I've suggested this for her.

                        So, if you wanna try producing a story-based podcast, this is one place to
                        put your actual content (lacking a whole bunch of processing you'll know
                        how to do someday) in front of an actual audience -- potentially the whole
                        online world.

                        I forget who was doing that, but I think he's still out there somewhere...

                        Anyway, if it's still out there, I'd be happy to put up a post on my blog
                        pointing back to Five Minute Memoir, for that particular purpose.

                        It was 2 Jan 2008, when Erk Pod commented:

                        --
                        Grizzly's Growls
                        Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                        Listen or Subscribe:
                        <http://feeds.feedburner.com/grizzlysgrowls>
                      • michael
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
                          My podcast (all ten episodes so far) fades in and out of podfade. I have
                          all the music for the 11th episode, just need to find a hour of my time to
                          put it together.. No, its not a hour long show, its 10 songs with me being a
                          smart ass in-between. My goal was to have it done before Christmas.. Now my
                          goal is to have it done before 2009 gets here :-)

                          tempus

                          --
                          Grizzly's Growls
                          Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com> libsyn.com>

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
                            Well, unless there's some minor provision of the USA Patriot Act I'm
                            unaware of, I'd do a dozen different episodes, get maybe a week or two
                            ahead (assuming daily shows, which apparently you could do), and then you
                            need only 10 minutes each to crank out a particular episode. Then you can
                            devote a week to the episode after all those you've just recorded. Or a
                            day, so you can stay a week or so ahead. I'm never more than 4 seconds
                            ahead. I'm usually a week or three behind.

                            Or, you could wait till you have time to record a whole hour. Good luck
                            with that. Never done it, but I've heard people do.

                            It was 2 Jan 2008, when michael commented:

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
                              It's a music podcast, so the hard part (outside of finding some time) is
                              finding the music. I guess I could drop it down to 5 songs, but that seems
                              so limiting. my biggest issue is time. Since I work from home finding time
                              seems to be an issue. once 6pm gets here I really don't want to be in the
                              computer room, and all the printing and phone ringing would just end up
                              being in the cast and that's really not acceptable as far as I am concerned.
                              Its just a hobby for me. My original goal was 2 episodes a month which was
                              doable until my family business became a member of NACES (www.naces.org
                              <http://www.naces.org/> ) and now doing anything like that is near
                              impossible. of course owning guitar hero III for the WII cuts into my time
                              as well..

                              [mailto:podcasters@yahoogro <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com]
> [...]
                              though
                              > > most of it ended up on the cutting room floor. After that episode I
                              found
                              > > the program I use to insert intros etc live while recording so that
                              > > episode
                              > was
                              > > a good one in the total scheme of things.
                              > >
                              > > He decided to podfade after one episode (partly money, partly equipment,
                              > > partly time) but at the very least, I now have a ready made guest or
                              back
                              > > up co-host who knows what I do who also gives me feedback as well.
                              > >

                              > > I'm sure some people think that 10 minutes of show means 10 minutes of
                              > > recording, 2 minutes of uploading and that's it but most of us here know
                              > > different!
                              > --
                              > Grizzly's Growls
                              > The Life and Times of a Minor Local Celebrity

                            • P.G. Holyfield
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 3, 2008
                                Five Minute Memoir is Matthew Wayne Selznick's podcast. I'm hoping he
                                will start it back up when he returns to the podosphere this spring.

                                Actually I see on his website that Matt is asking if anyone is
                                interested in stewarding a season two of FMM.

                                http://fiveminutememoir.com

                                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <dbsmith@...> wrote:

                                > Ya know, one podcast (sadly overlooked) I think would be ideal for
                                people
                                > who have stuff to say, and no where to say it, and don't want to go
                                with a
                                > full-horsepower podcast, would be "Five Minute Memoir."
                                >
                                > I still have the RSS link in my half-assed feeder, that converts the
                                show-
                                > notes to an email and converts the audio file to a file on my host
                                machine
                                > at home. Haven't seen any traffic, sad to say.
                                >
                                > You get five minutes -- you're unlikely to get more, whoever's
                                listening --
                                > your Mom will lie and claim that she heard the whole thing, and who
                                wants
                                > to tell Mom she lied?
                                >
                                > You tell a story about something you know about. Who other than you can
                                > tell your story from your perspective?
                                >
                                > You get edited by somebody who knows better than you do about how to
                                edit
                                > for a podcast.
                                >
                                > And if you have no other stories, well, you're done, and you don't have
                                > all the stuff entailed to produce the rest of a podcast you'll never
                                > produce anyway.
                                >
                                > Damned if I can remember who produces that, but that seems like an
                                ideal
                                > venue for such authors.
                                >
                                > My sister has produced several (actually, rather good, Sister
                                > notwithstanding) articles for specialized magazine, and I seem to
                                recall
                                > I've suggested this for her.
                                >
                                > So, if you wanna try producing a story-based podcast, this is one
                                place to
                                > put your actual content (lacking a whole bunch of processing you'll
                                know
                                > how to do someday) in front of an actual audience -- potentially the
                                whole
                                > online world.
                                >
                                > I forget who was doing that, but I think he's still out there
                                somewhere...

                                > Anyway, if it's still out there, I'd be happy to put up a post on my
                                blog
                                > pointing back to Five Minute Memoir, for that particular purpose.

                              • Dan Kuykendall
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 4, 2008
                                  I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should produce
                                  a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed once in
                                  awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                                  traffic to the musicians site as well

                                  P.G. Holyfield wrote:

                                  > Five Minute Memoir is Matthew Wayne Selznick's podcast. I'm hoping he
                                  > will start it back up when he returns to the podosphere this spring.
                                  >
                                  > Actually I see on his website that Matt is asking if anyone is
                                  > interested in stewarding a season two of FMM.

                                  --
                                  Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
                                  http://www.mightyseek.com

                                  The ultimate security is your understanding of reality.
                                • Erk Pod
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 4, 2008
                                    On Jan 5, 2008 10:56 AM, Dan Kuykendall <dan@...> wrote:

                                    > I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should produce
                                    > a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed once in
                                    > awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                                    > traffic to the musicians site as well

                                    I remember when one of our TV stations went off air for a few hours one
                                    night and the ratings (via an electronic box located on the top of the TV)
                                    still said that a lot of people were still watching that station. Maybe an
                                    idea might be to record a short piece like an answering machine message and
                                    put that on the feed saying briefly why you aren't there and when you expect
                                    to be back (if known).

                                    I saw that OG put a text document of some sort into his feed once that I
                                    noticed when I was catching up on episodes. I clicked on it in iTunes and
                                    read whatever it said (might have been some new feed info). How did you do
                                    that, OG?

                                    Erk

                                    Erk
                                    Sydney, Australia

                                    WEBSITES:
                                    Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au

                                    Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com

                                    FEEDS
                                    Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml

                                    Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml

                                    Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

                                  • Brains Matter
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 4, 2008
                                      Erk,

                                      That was just a pdf document. Feeds normally accept other file
                                      formats, not just mp3/mp4/etc. so the feed readers and iTunes usually
                                      take that happily.

                                      I use Pages, but of course you can write something up in Word or a
                                      windows equivalent, and then save it to PDF format (remember not
                                      everyone has - or likes - Word)

                                      OG

                                      --
                                      Brains Matter Podcast
                                      Melbourne, Australia

                                      On 05/01/2008, at 11:27 AM, Erk Pod wrote:

                                      > On Jan 5, 2008 10:56 AM, Dan Kuykendall <dan@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should
                                      > produce
                                      > > a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed
                                      > once in
                                      > > awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                                      > > traffic to the musicians site as well
                                      > >

                                      > I remember when one of our TV stations went off air for a few hours
                                      > one
                                      > night and the ratings (via an electronic box located on the top of
                                      > the TV)
                                      > still said that a lot of people were still watching that station.
                                      > Maybe an
                                      > idea might be to record a short piece like an answering machine
                                      > message and
                                      > put that on the feed saying briefly why you aren't there and when
                                      > you expect
                                      > to be back (if known).
                                      >
                                      > I saw that OG put a text document of some sort into his feed once
                                      > that I
                                      > noticed when I was catching up on episodes. I clicked on it in
                                      > iTunes and
                                      > read whatever it said (might have been some new feed info). How did
                                      > you do
                                      > that, OG?
                                      >
                                      > Erk
                                      >
                                      > Erk
                                      > Sydney, Australia
                                      >
                                      > WEBSITES:
                                      > Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au
                                      >
                                      > Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com
                                      >
                                      > FEEDS
                                      > Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml
                                      >
                                      > Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml
                                      >
                                      > Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

                                    • David Grizzly Smith
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 5, 2008
                                        I passed the suggestion along to one of my favorite songwriters. Hmmm...
                                        Just thought of another one to ask!

                                        It was 4 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 12, 2008
                                          any luck?

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                            Nope, no word yet, but it's not the most inspirational topic. Well, here,
                                            maybe.

                                            You know who has excellent podcast-related composers? Leo LaPorte.
                                            Anybody know him well enough to ask? <grin>

                                            It was 12 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:

                                            > any luck?
                                            >
                                            > David Grizzly Smith wrote:
                                            > >

                                            > > I passed the suggestion along to one of my favorite songwriters. Hmmm...
                                            > > Just thought of another one to ask!
                                            > >
                                            > > It was 4 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:
                                            > >
                                            > >> I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should produce
                                            > >> a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed once in
                                            > >> awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                                            > >> traffic to the musicians site as well
                                            --
                                            Grizzly's Growls
                                            Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                                          • Steven R. Boyett
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                              <<I keep thinking that someone should produce a "Im not a podfader" song,
                                              which people can post on their feed once in awhile during a hiatus..>>
                                              So ... do y'all just assume you're only podcasting to other podcasters? Cuz
                                              that approach seems pretty self-fulfilling to me. I mean, you're about
                                              *this* far from SF filking territory right now.

                                              --steve boyett

                                              _____

                                              > David Grizzly Smith wrote:
                                              > >

                                              > > I passed the suggestion along to one of my favorite songwriters. Hmmm...
                                              > > Just thought of another one to ask!
                                              > >
                                              > > It was 4 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:
                                              > >
                                              > >> I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should
                                              produce
                                              > >> a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed once in
                                              > >> awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                                              > >> traffic to the musicians site as well
                                              --
                                              Grizzly's Growls
                                              Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com> libsyn.com>
                                              Blog: <http://grizzlysgrow <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com>
                                              ls.blogspot.com>

                                            • David Smith
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                                Not sure if this was addressed to me or to the thread, but I'd assume to
                                                the thread at large. As Ringo Starr said when he was first brought in to
                                                replace the first Beatle's drummer, who's name I forget: "I'm just happy
                                                to be here."

                                                I have no idea who's listening. They don't talk to me, and they're not
                                                obligated to, of course, but I'm continually curious. It appears from
                                                what I can find out that I have a significant percentage of listeners in
                                                other countries, and I haven't seen a lot of podcasters in here, anyway,
                                                from China or India, for example, though I suppose there must be some,
                                                huh? I'm amazed there's anybody out there.

                                                It may well be that a significant percentage are podcasters themselves,
                                                though I'd be surprised if I sustain enough quality to support such
                                                interest. It seems more likely many are Aspies like me, who are as amazed
                                                as I am that I can keep doing this stuff. For those folks, it's a shame I
                                                don't know more about the technical aspects of the condition to speak to
                                                it intelligently.

                                                But maybe I'm not understanding the question?

                                                It was 13 Jan 2008, when Steven R. Boyett commented:

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                                  Few people outside of podcasting know what "podfading" means, and a song
                                                  about it on your podcast wouldn't make a lick of sense to them.

                                                  --steve boyett

                                                  _____

                                                  Not sure if this was addressed to me or to the thread, but I'd assume to
                                                  the thread at large. As Ringo Starr said when he was first brought in to
                                                  replace the first Beatle's drummer, who's name I forget: "I'm just happy
                                                  to be here."

                                                  I have no idea who's listening. They don't talk to me, and they're not
                                                  obligated to, of course, but I'm continually curious. It appears from
                                                  what I can find out that I have a significant percentage of listeners in
                                                  other countries, and I haven't seen a lot of podcasters in here, anyway,
                                                  from China or India, for example, though I suppose there must be some,
                                                  huh? I'm amazed there's anybody out there.

                                                  It may well be that a significant percentage are podcasters themselves,
                                                  though I'd be surprised if I sustain enough quality to support such
                                                  interest. It seems more likely many are Aspies like me, who are as amazed
                                                  as I am that I can keep doing this stuff. For those folks, it's a shame I
                                                  don't know more about the technical aspects of the condition to speak to
                                                  it intelligently.

                                                  But maybe I'm not understanding the question?

                                                  It was 13 Jan 2008, when Steven R. Boyett commented:

                                                  > <<I keep thinking that someone should produce a "Im not a podfader" song,
                                                  > which people can post on their feed once in awhile during a hiatus..>> So
                                                  > ... do y'all just assume you're only podcasting to other podcasters? Cuz
                                                  > that approach seems pretty self-fulfilling to me. I mean, you're about
                                                  > *this* far from SF filking territory right now.
                                                  >

                                                  > > David Grizzly Smith wrote:
                                                  > > >

                                                  > > > I passed the suggestion along to one of my favorite songwriters.
                                                  > > > Hmmm... Just thought of another one to ask!
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > It was 4 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:

                                                  > produce
                                                  > --
                                                  > Grizzly's Growls
                                                  > The Life and Times of a Minor Local Celebrity
                                                  > Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                                                  libsyn.com> libsyn.com>
                                                  > Blog: <http://grizzlysgrow <http://grizzlysgrow
                                                  <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com> ls.blogspot.com>
                                                  > ls.blogspot.com>

                                                  Grizzly's Growls
                                                  Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com> libsyn.com>
                                                  Blog: <http://grizzlysgrow <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com>
                                                  ls.blogspot.com>

                                                • Nobilis
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                                    On Jan 13, 2008 8:23 PM, Steven R. Boyett <steve@...> wrote:
                                                    > Few people outside of podcasting know what "podfading" means, and a song
                                                    > about it on your podcast wouldn't make a lick of sense to them.

                                                    You mean that podcasters don't use the word in their podcasts?

                                                    I think you're wrong.

                                                    -----
                                                    Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4
                                                  • Steven R. Boyett
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                                      No, I don't mean that at all. I mean that they use the word, but they're
                                                      most likely talking to each other when they do. Exclusionary dialogue --
                                                      podcasting is starting to remind me of science fiction fandom so much it's
                                                      painful. And it occurs to me that if I'm right or totally wrong, either way
                                                      it's probably pointless to even point it out.

                                                      --steve b

                                                      _____

                                                      <mailto:steve%40steveboy.com> com> wrote:
                                                      > Few people outside of podcasting know what "podfading" means, and a song
                                                      > about it on your podcast wouldn't make a lick of sense to them.

                                                      You mean that podcasters don't use the word in their podcasts?

                                                      I think you're wrong.

                                                      Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis. <http://nobilis.libsyn.com> libsyn.com
                                                      -----
                                                      Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.
                                                      <http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4> com/2r25e4

                                                    • David Smith
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jan 14, 2008
                                                        I made the same point a while back, comparing it to the BBSing days. I
                                                        think there's at least a potential difference, in that some may acquire an
                                                        audience that is external to podcasting, eventually. Seems some have
                                                        already done so.

                                                        Makes me reconsider that radio station in San Francisco that was
                                                        broadcasting podcasts -- at least it's an audience not dependent on
                                                        knowledge of mostly obscure technology. Didn't like their licensing
                                                        agreements, though.