Re: [podcasters] Podfading: At what point is a podcast considered gone for good?

    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 31, 2007
      There's very little incentive for iTunes or other directories to take
      content out of their listings. But take heart -- as your podcast gets
      more established, with more links and subscrptions, you'll soon get
      ahead of the fossils in the podcast listings and Google. Just keep
      doing what you're doing, and do it well, and the right rewards will
      come to you. And Have Fun.

      On 12/31/07, nycedeli <lavenividivici@...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      > I've got a relatively young podcast (11 episodes and counting) in a
      > competitive, crowded space (foreign language instruction). But upon
      > closer inspection it's clear that many of the podcasts in my category
      > are on a permanent hiatus. There are some that only podcast two or
      > three episodes and were never heard from again and others that started
      > out strong but haven't posted new episodes since 2005. As of tomorrow,
      > that means 3 years without a new episode!! A few of these podcasts
      > appear to have decent page rankings because they show up on the first
      > page of Google searches even though their podcast and podcast blog
      > haven't been updated in more than 2 years. What gives?
      >
      > My question is at what point is a podcast considered podfaded? And why
      > doesn't iTunes and the other podcasting directories clean those
      > podcasts out of their directory? Is it because it is free content? How
      > do you guys feel about podfaded podcasts cluttering podcast
      > directories? Do you think there should be a time frame imposed (if no
      > new episode is posted in the past 12 months you get deleted from the
      > directory)? Or should we consider iTunes and the other podcast sites
      > as digital libraries housing any and all podcasts for future generations?
      >
      > Your thoughts?
      >

      > P.S. Happy 2008!! :)

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • Katronix Serf
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 31, 2007
        I realize this discussion probably has gone on before, but would
        there be benefit in a directory who "cleaned house" say "you haven't
        released an episode in 24 months, should we mark you as podfaded and
        remove you/put you on the podfaded list"

        Chris

      • Erk Pod
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 31, 2007
          24 months seems to me to be WAY too long!

          I think that there are two categories of older podcasts.

          Something like the companion podcast to "Podcasting for Dummies" only
          had a short run (22 eps?) but it is for a specific purpose but is
          still relevant and Tee himself definately hasn't podfaded!

          Maybe podfading should be about the podcaster than the show? You can
          stay with the same show/format or change or fade.

          Then I think you have a show that is regular and then all of a sudden
          with no explanation stop doing shows.

          Do podcasters or shows "jump the shark" too?

          Erk
          Erk Pod Mini starts today Jan 1. Can I go 5 minutes a day every day?
          Subscribe and find out!

          http://www.erkpod.com.au

          --
          Erk
          Sydney, Australia

          WEBSITES:
          Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au

          Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com

          FEEDS
          Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml

          Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml

          Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml
        • Richard Amirault
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 31, 2007
            From: "nycedeli"
            > I've got a relatively young podcast (11 episodes and counting) in a
            > competitive, crowded space (foreign language instruction). But upon
            > closer inspection it's clear that many of the podcasts in my category
            > are on a permanent hiatus. There are some that only podcast two or
            > three episodes and were never heard from again and others that started
            > out strong but haven't posted new episodes since 2005. As of tomorrow,
            > that means 3 years without a new episode!! A few of these podcasts
            > appear to have decent page rankings because they show up on the first
            > page of Google searches even though their podcast and podcast blog
            > haven't been updated in more than 2 years. What gives?
            >
            > My question is at what point is a podcast considered podfaded?
            (snip)

            What difference does it make? Yes, those shows are podfaded, but is that a
            reason for folks not to listen to the content that is (was) there? If the
            shows are still on-line and they have valuable (entertainment and/or
            instructional) content . then why not leave the accessable?

            Richard Amirault
            Boston, MA, USA
            http://n1jdu.org
            http://bostonfandom.org
          • Flyswatter
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 1, 2008
              "As long as the podcaster is still paying for hosting, just because there
              aren't new episodes doesn't mean the show's gone," said the woman who hasn't
              yet unsubscribed to Nate and Di.

              On Dec 31, 2007 8:47 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...> wrote:

> [...]

              Laura Ross

              The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
              http://coffeeandteashow.com
              Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
              coffeeandteashow@...

              Rocky Horror Pod Show
              http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
              Listener hotline: 206-350-0972 (note NEWER new number!)
              rockypod@...
              Join the Rockypod Google Group at http://groups.google.com/group/rockypod

            • Larry Wanger
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 1, 2008
                I could be mistaken but the only one I know of that does this is
                Blubrry??? I seem to remember seeing messages saying that they do this
                after a certain amount of time. I'd love it if iTunes and others
                cleaned up their listings and removed shows that are not producing
                episodes but I think this is asking a lot. Consider the amount of time
                it might demand.

                DisabilityNation, an Audio Magazine by and for People with
                Disabilities. Listen at http://www.disabilitynation.net

              • Todd Cochrane
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 1, 2008
                  Larry

                  Yes we clean up the community listings no one wants to come to a website
                  and find data that is months old. Podfaders are welcome back if they get
                  active again but we remove listings on a regular basis.

                  Todd..

                  Larry Wanger wrote:

                  > I could be mistaken but the only one I know of that does this is
                  > Blubrry??? I seem to remember seeing messages saying that they do this
                  > after a certain amount of time. I'd love it if iTunes and others
                  > cleaned up their listings and removed shows that are not producing
                  > episodes but I think this is asking a lot. Consider the amount of time
                  > it might demand.
                  >
                  > DisabilityNation, an Audio Magazine by and for People with
                  > Disabilities. Listen at http://www.disabilitynation.net
                  > <http://www.disabilitynation.net>
                  >
                  > On Dec 31, 2007, at 5:39 PM, Katronix Serf wrote:
                  >
                  > > I realize this discussion probably has gone on before, but would
                  > > there be benefit in a directory who "cleaned house" say "you haven't
                  > > released an episode in 24 months, should we mark you as podfaded and
                  > > remove you/put you on the podfaded list"
                  > >
                  > > Chris
                  > >
                  > > On Dec 31, 2007, at 4:10 PM, Stephen Eley wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > There's very little incentive for iTunes or other directories to
                  > > take
                  > > > content out of their listings. But take heart -- as your podcast
                  > > gets
                  > > > more established, with more links and subscrptions, you'll soon get
                  > > > ahead of the fossils in the podcast listings and Google. Just keep
                  > > > doing what you're doing, and do it well, and the right rewards will
                  > > > come to you. And Have Fun.

                  > > in a
                  > > upon
                  > > > category
                  > > > started
                  > > > tomorrow,
                  > > > first

                  > > > And why
                  > > > content? How
                  > > > (if no
                  > > the
                  > > sites
                  > > > generations?

                  > > > --
                  > > > Have Fun,
                  > > > Steve Eley (sfeley@... <mailto:sfeley%40gmail.com>)
                  > > > ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine
                  > > > http://www.escapepod.org <http://www.escapepod.org>

                • Erk Pod
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 1, 2008
                    I was thinking about the exact same show last night and was wondering "are
                    they still around?"

                    Erk

                    On Jan 2, 2008 4:11 AM, Flyswatter <luara.mom@...> wrote:

                    > "As long as the podcaster is still paying for hosting, just because
                    > there
                    > aren't new episodes doesn't mean the show's gone," said the woman who
                    > hasn't
                    > yet unsubscribed to Nate and Di.

                  • P. Dilly
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 1, 2008
                      we removed over 5,000 podcasts last year that podfadded from
                      PodcastPickle.com. When we were doing that we noticed that a large
                      percentage of the podfadders never made it to 5 episodes, Now a podcast must
                      have 5 episodes before we will place them in our directory.

                      On Jan 1, 2008 2:14 PM, Todd Cochrane <ceo@...> wrote:

                      > Larry
                      >
                      > Yes we clean up the community listings no one wants to come to a website
                      > and find data that is months old. Podfaders are welcome back if they get
                      > active again but we remove listings on a regular basis.
                      >
                      > Todd..
                      >
                      > Larry Wanger wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I could be mistaken but the only one I know of that does this is
                      > > Blubrry??? I seem to remember seeing messages saying that they do this
                      > > after a certain amount of time. I'd love it if iTunes and others
                      > > cleaned up their listings and removed shows that are not producing
                      > > episodes but I think this is asking a lot. Consider the amount of time
                      > > it might demand.
                      > >
                      > > DisabilityNation, an Audio Magazine by and for People with
                      > > Disabilities. Listen at http://www.disabilitynation.net
                      > > <http://www.disabilitynation.net>
                      > >
                      > > On Dec 31, 2007, at 5:39 PM, Katronix Serf wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > I realize this discussion probably has gone on before, but would
                      > > > there be benefit in a directory who "cleaned house" say "you haven't
                      > > > released an episode in 24 months, should we mark you as podfaded and
                      > > > remove you/put you on the podfaded list"
                      > > >
                      > > > Chris

                      > > > take
                      > > > gets

                      > > > in a
                      > > > upon

                      > > > the
                      > > > sites

                      > sfeley%40gmail.com>)

                      Gary Leland

                      Find out how you can spread the word about your podcast!
                      You can advertise your podcast with us for as low as $25 a month.
                      Click here for details: http://www.podcastpickle.com/index/adRatesRight/.

                      This is a great opportunity to register a domain name for your podcasts.
                      Podcast Pickle is a GoDaddy.com reseller.
                      Click here to get your domain: http://www.dilldomains.com/.

                    • Erk Pod
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 1, 2008
                        A mate of mine decided after listening to my podcast that he'd like to do
                        one. So I gave his first episode a listen which wasn't bad for an episode 1
                        considering that he plugged a mic into his computer and off he went. I gave
                        him some tips on how to improve his audio and one day he invited me to bring
                        my gear around to his place and record an episode, so I did.

                        So he saw my gear and I told him about how it works but also how he could
                        improve his audio with what he had until he decided that he wanted to keep
                        going or not. We had a great time recording that episode even though most of
                        it ended up on the cutting room floor. After that episode I found the
                        program I use to insert intros etc live while recording so that episode was
                        a good one in the total scheme of things.

                        He decided to podfade after one episode (partly money, partly equipment,
                        partly time) but at the very least, I now have a ready made guest or back up
                        co-host who knows what I do who also gives me feedback as well.

                        I'm sure some people think that 10 minutes of show means 10 minutes of
                        recording, 2 minutes of uploading and that's it but most of us here know
                        different!

                        --
                        Erk
                        Sydney, Australia

                        WEBSITES:
                        Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au

                        Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com

                        FEEDS
                        Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml

                        Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml

                        Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

                      • David Smith
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
                          FWIW, you would not be the first person to perceive that particular
                          threshhold and act upon it. I think "calendar year" might be another
                          threshhold. I just reached 1/1/2008 along with everybody else, and I've
                          got two important motivators, on top of "I'm gonna keep going, damnit!"

                          (1) I did 2007, and I'm done.

                          (2) The accounting is really simple.

                          (3) I get to claim that I was a podcaster for "a year."

                          (4) A certain percentage of people don't know how to count to two.

                          It was 1 Jan 2008, when P. Dilly commented:

                          --
                          Grizzly's Growls
                          Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
                            Ya know, one podcast (sadly overlooked) I think would be ideal for people
                            who have stuff to say, and no where to say it, and don't want to go with a
                            full-horsepower podcast, would be "Five Minute Memoir."

                            I still have the RSS link in my half-assed feeder, that converts the show-
                            notes to an email and converts the audio file to a file on my host machine
                            at home. Haven't seen any traffic, sad to say.

                            You get five minutes -- you're unlikely to get more, whoever's listening --
                            your Mom will lie and claim that she heard the whole thing, and who wants
                            to tell Mom she lied?

                            You tell a story about something you know about. Who other than you can
                            tell your story from your perspective?

                            You get edited by somebody who knows better than you do about how to edit
                            for a podcast.

                            And if you have no other stories, well, you're done, and you don't have
                            all the stuff entailed to produce the rest of a podcast you'll never
                            produce anyway.

                            Damned if I can remember who produces that, but that seems like an ideal
                            venue for such authors.

                            My sister has produced several (actually, rather good, Sister
                            notwithstanding) articles for specialized magazine, and I seem to recall
                            I've suggested this for her.

                            So, if you wanna try producing a story-based podcast, this is one place to
                            put your actual content (lacking a whole bunch of processing you'll know
                            how to do someday) in front of an actual audience -- potentially the whole
                            online world.

                            I forget who was doing that, but I think he's still out there somewhere...

                            Anyway, if it's still out there, I'd be happy to put up a post on my blog
                            pointing back to Five Minute Memoir, for that particular purpose.

                            It was 2 Jan 2008, when Erk Pod commented:

                            --
                            Grizzly's Growls
                            Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                            Listen or Subscribe:
                            <http://feeds.feedburner.com/grizzlysgrowls>
                          • michael
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
                              My podcast (all ten episodes so far) fades in and out of podfade. I have
                              all the music for the 11th episode, just need to find a hour of my time to
                              put it together.. No, its not a hour long show, its 10 songs with me being a
                              smart ass in-between. My goal was to have it done before Christmas.. Now my
                              goal is to have it done before 2009 gets here :-)

                              tempus

                              --
                              Grizzly's Growls
                              Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com> libsyn.com>

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
                                Well, unless there's some minor provision of the USA Patriot Act I'm
                                unaware of, I'd do a dozen different episodes, get maybe a week or two
                                ahead (assuming daily shows, which apparently you could do), and then you
                                need only 10 minutes each to crank out a particular episode. Then you can
                                devote a week to the episode after all those you've just recorded. Or a
                                day, so you can stay a week or so ahead. I'm never more than 4 seconds
                                ahead. I'm usually a week or three behind.

                                Or, you could wait till you have time to record a whole hour. Good luck
                                with that. Never done it, but I've heard people do.

                                It was 2 Jan 2008, when michael commented:

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 2, 2008
                                  It's a music podcast, so the hard part (outside of finding some time) is
                                  finding the music. I guess I could drop it down to 5 songs, but that seems
                                  so limiting. my biggest issue is time. Since I work from home finding time
                                  seems to be an issue. once 6pm gets here I really don't want to be in the
                                  computer room, and all the printing and phone ringing would just end up
                                  being in the cast and that's really not acceptable as far as I am concerned.
                                  Its just a hobby for me. My original goal was 2 episodes a month which was
                                  doable until my family business became a member of NACES (www.naces.org
                                  <http://www.naces.org/> ) and now doing anything like that is near
                                  impossible. of course owning guitar hero III for the WII cuts into my time
                                  as well..

                                  [mailto:podcasters@yahoogro <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com]
> [...]
                                  though
                                  > > most of it ended up on the cutting room floor. After that episode I
                                  found
                                  > > the program I use to insert intros etc live while recording so that
                                  > > episode
                                  > was
                                  > > a good one in the total scheme of things.
                                  > >
                                  > > He decided to podfade after one episode (partly money, partly equipment,
                                  > > partly time) but at the very least, I now have a ready made guest or
                                  back
                                  > > up co-host who knows what I do who also gives me feedback as well.
                                  > >

                                  > > I'm sure some people think that 10 minutes of show means 10 minutes of
                                  > > recording, 2 minutes of uploading and that's it but most of us here know
                                  > > different!
                                  > --
                                  > Grizzly's Growls
                                  > The Life and Times of a Minor Local Celebrity

                                • P.G. Holyfield
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 3, 2008
                                    Five Minute Memoir is Matthew Wayne Selznick's podcast. I'm hoping he
                                    will start it back up when he returns to the podosphere this spring.

                                    Actually I see on his website that Matt is asking if anyone is
                                    interested in stewarding a season two of FMM.

                                    http://fiveminutememoir.com

                                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <dbsmith@...> wrote:

                                    > Ya know, one podcast (sadly overlooked) I think would be ideal for
                                    people
                                    > who have stuff to say, and no where to say it, and don't want to go
                                    with a
                                    > full-horsepower podcast, would be "Five Minute Memoir."
                                    >
                                    > I still have the RSS link in my half-assed feeder, that converts the
                                    show-
                                    > notes to an email and converts the audio file to a file on my host
                                    machine
                                    > at home. Haven't seen any traffic, sad to say.
                                    >
                                    > You get five minutes -- you're unlikely to get more, whoever's
                                    listening --
                                    > your Mom will lie and claim that she heard the whole thing, and who
                                    wants
                                    > to tell Mom she lied?
                                    >
                                    > You tell a story about something you know about. Who other than you can
                                    > tell your story from your perspective?
                                    >
                                    > You get edited by somebody who knows better than you do about how to
                                    edit
                                    > for a podcast.
                                    >
                                    > And if you have no other stories, well, you're done, and you don't have
                                    > all the stuff entailed to produce the rest of a podcast you'll never
                                    > produce anyway.
                                    >
                                    > Damned if I can remember who produces that, but that seems like an
                                    ideal
                                    > venue for such authors.
                                    >
                                    > My sister has produced several (actually, rather good, Sister
                                    > notwithstanding) articles for specialized magazine, and I seem to
                                    recall
                                    > I've suggested this for her.
                                    >
                                    > So, if you wanna try producing a story-based podcast, this is one
                                    place to
                                    > put your actual content (lacking a whole bunch of processing you'll
                                    know
                                    > how to do someday) in front of an actual audience -- potentially the
                                    whole
                                    > online world.
                                    >
                                    > I forget who was doing that, but I think he's still out there
                                    somewhere...

                                    > Anyway, if it's still out there, I'd be happy to put up a post on my
                                    blog
                                    > pointing back to Five Minute Memoir, for that particular purpose.

                                  • Dan Kuykendall
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 4, 2008
                                      I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should produce
                                      a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed once in
                                      awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                                      traffic to the musicians site as well

                                      P.G. Holyfield wrote:

                                      > Five Minute Memoir is Matthew Wayne Selznick's podcast. I'm hoping he
                                      > will start it back up when he returns to the podosphere this spring.
                                      >
                                      > Actually I see on his website that Matt is asking if anyone is
                                      > interested in stewarding a season two of FMM.

                                      --
                                      Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
                                      http://www.mightyseek.com

                                      The ultimate security is your understanding of reality.
                                    • Erk Pod
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 4, 2008
                                        On Jan 5, 2008 10:56 AM, Dan Kuykendall <dan@...> wrote:

                                        > I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should produce
                                        > a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed once in
                                        > awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                                        > traffic to the musicians site as well

                                        I remember when one of our TV stations went off air for a few hours one
                                        night and the ratings (via an electronic box located on the top of the TV)
                                        still said that a lot of people were still watching that station. Maybe an
                                        idea might be to record a short piece like an answering machine message and
                                        put that on the feed saying briefly why you aren't there and when you expect
                                        to be back (if known).

                                        I saw that OG put a text document of some sort into his feed once that I
                                        noticed when I was catching up on episodes. I clicked on it in iTunes and
                                        read whatever it said (might have been some new feed info). How did you do
                                        that, OG?

                                        Erk

                                        Erk
                                        Sydney, Australia

                                        WEBSITES:
                                        Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au

                                        Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com

                                        FEEDS
                                        Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml

                                        Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml

                                        Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

                                      • Brains Matter
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 4, 2008
                                          Erk,

                                          That was just a pdf document. Feeds normally accept other file
                                          formats, not just mp3/mp4/etc. so the feed readers and iTunes usually
                                          take that happily.

                                          I use Pages, but of course you can write something up in Word or a
                                          windows equivalent, and then save it to PDF format (remember not
                                          everyone has - or likes - Word)

                                          OG

                                          --
                                          Brains Matter Podcast
                                          Melbourne, Australia

                                          On 05/01/2008, at 11:27 AM, Erk Pod wrote:

                                          > On Jan 5, 2008 10:56 AM, Dan Kuykendall <dan@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should
                                          > produce
                                          > > a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed
                                          > once in
                                          > > awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                                          > > traffic to the musicians site as well
                                          > >

                                          > I remember when one of our TV stations went off air for a few hours
                                          > one
                                          > night and the ratings (via an electronic box located on the top of
                                          > the TV)
                                          > still said that a lot of people were still watching that station.
                                          > Maybe an
                                          > idea might be to record a short piece like an answering machine
                                          > message and
                                          > put that on the feed saying briefly why you aren't there and when
                                          > you expect
                                          > to be back (if known).
                                          >
                                          > I saw that OG put a text document of some sort into his feed once
                                          > that I
                                          > noticed when I was catching up on episodes. I clicked on it in
                                          > iTunes and
                                          > read whatever it said (might have been some new feed info). How did
                                          > you do
                                          > that, OG?
                                          >
                                          > Erk
                                          >
                                          > Erk
                                          > Sydney, Australia
                                          >
                                          > WEBSITES:
                                          > Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au
                                          >
                                          > Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com
                                          >
                                          > FEEDS
                                          > Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml
                                          >
                                          > Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml
                                          >
                                          > Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

                                        • David Grizzly Smith
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 5, 2008
                                            I passed the suggestion along to one of my favorite songwriters. Hmmm...
                                            Just thought of another one to ask!

                                            It was 4 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 12, 2008
                                              any luck?

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                                Nope, no word yet, but it's not the most inspirational topic. Well, here,
                                                maybe.

                                                You know who has excellent podcast-related composers? Leo LaPorte.
                                                Anybody know him well enough to ask? <grin>

                                                It was 12 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:

                                                > any luck?
                                                >
                                                > David Grizzly Smith wrote:
                                                > >

                                                > > I passed the suggestion along to one of my favorite songwriters. Hmmm...
                                                > > Just thought of another one to ask!
                                                > >
                                                > > It was 4 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:
                                                > >
                                                > >> I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should produce
                                                > >> a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed once in
                                                > >> awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                                                > >> traffic to the musicians site as well
                                                --
                                                Grizzly's Growls
                                                Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                                              • Steven R. Boyett
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                                  <<I keep thinking that someone should produce a "Im not a podfader" song,
                                                  which people can post on their feed once in awhile during a hiatus..>>
                                                  So ... do y'all just assume you're only podcasting to other podcasters? Cuz
                                                  that approach seems pretty self-fulfilling to me. I mean, you're about
                                                  *this* far from SF filking territory right now.

                                                  --steve boyett

                                                  _____

                                                  > David Grizzly Smith wrote:
                                                  > >

                                                  > > I passed the suggestion along to one of my favorite songwriters. Hmmm...
                                                  > > Just thought of another one to ask!
                                                  > >
                                                  > > It was 4 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:
                                                  > >
                                                  > >> I have the same problem, and I keep thinking that someone should
                                                  produce
                                                  > >> a "Im not a podfader" song, which people can post on their feed once in
                                                  > >> awhile during a hiatus... should be something that could generate
                                                  > >> traffic to the musicians site as well
                                                  --
                                                  Grizzly's Growls
                                                  Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com> libsyn.com>
                                                  Blog: <http://grizzlysgrow <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com>
                                                  ls.blogspot.com>

                                                • David Smith
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                                    Not sure if this was addressed to me or to the thread, but I'd assume to
                                                    the thread at large. As Ringo Starr said when he was first brought in to
                                                    replace the first Beatle's drummer, who's name I forget: "I'm just happy
                                                    to be here."

                                                    I have no idea who's listening. They don't talk to me, and they're not
                                                    obligated to, of course, but I'm continually curious. It appears from
                                                    what I can find out that I have a significant percentage of listeners in
                                                    other countries, and I haven't seen a lot of podcasters in here, anyway,
                                                    from China or India, for example, though I suppose there must be some,
                                                    huh? I'm amazed there's anybody out there.

                                                    It may well be that a significant percentage are podcasters themselves,
                                                    though I'd be surprised if I sustain enough quality to support such
                                                    interest. It seems more likely many are Aspies like me, who are as amazed
                                                    as I am that I can keep doing this stuff. For those folks, it's a shame I
                                                    don't know more about the technical aspects of the condition to speak to
                                                    it intelligently.

                                                    But maybe I'm not understanding the question?

                                                    It was 13 Jan 2008, when Steven R. Boyett commented:

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                                      Few people outside of podcasting know what "podfading" means, and a song
                                                      about it on your podcast wouldn't make a lick of sense to them.

                                                      --steve boyett

                                                      _____

                                                      Not sure if this was addressed to me or to the thread, but I'd assume to
                                                      the thread at large. As Ringo Starr said when he was first brought in to
                                                      replace the first Beatle's drummer, who's name I forget: "I'm just happy
                                                      to be here."

                                                      I have no idea who's listening. They don't talk to me, and they're not
                                                      obligated to, of course, but I'm continually curious. It appears from
                                                      what I can find out that I have a significant percentage of listeners in
                                                      other countries, and I haven't seen a lot of podcasters in here, anyway,
                                                      from China or India, for example, though I suppose there must be some,
                                                      huh? I'm amazed there's anybody out there.

                                                      It may well be that a significant percentage are podcasters themselves,
                                                      though I'd be surprised if I sustain enough quality to support such
                                                      interest. It seems more likely many are Aspies like me, who are as amazed
                                                      as I am that I can keep doing this stuff. For those folks, it's a shame I
                                                      don't know more about the technical aspects of the condition to speak to
                                                      it intelligently.

                                                      But maybe I'm not understanding the question?

                                                      It was 13 Jan 2008, when Steven R. Boyett commented:

                                                      > <<I keep thinking that someone should produce a "Im not a podfader" song,
                                                      > which people can post on their feed once in awhile during a hiatus..>> So
                                                      > ... do y'all just assume you're only podcasting to other podcasters? Cuz
                                                      > that approach seems pretty self-fulfilling to me. I mean, you're about
                                                      > *this* far from SF filking territory right now.
                                                      >

                                                      > > David Grizzly Smith wrote:
                                                      > > >

                                                      > > > I passed the suggestion along to one of my favorite songwriters.
                                                      > > > Hmmm... Just thought of another one to ask!
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > It was 4 Jan 2008, when Dan Kuykendall commented:

                                                      > produce
                                                      > --
                                                      > Grizzly's Growls
                                                      > The Life and Times of a Minor Local Celebrity
                                                      > Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                                                      libsyn.com> libsyn.com>
                                                      > Blog: <http://grizzlysgrow <http://grizzlysgrow
                                                      <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com> ls.blogspot.com>
                                                      > ls.blogspot.com>

                                                      Grizzly's Growls
                                                      Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com> libsyn.com>
                                                      Blog: <http://grizzlysgrow <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com>
                                                      ls.blogspot.com>

                                                    • Nobilis
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                                        On Jan 13, 2008 8:23 PM, Steven R. Boyett <steve@...> wrote:
                                                        > Few people outside of podcasting know what "podfading" means, and a song
                                                        > about it on your podcast wouldn't make a lick of sense to them.

                                                        You mean that podcasters don't use the word in their podcasts?

                                                        I think you're wrong.

                                                        -----
                                                        Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4
                                                      • Steven R. Boyett
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jan 13, 2008
                                                          No, I don't mean that at all. I mean that they use the word, but they're
                                                          most likely talking to each other when they do. Exclusionary dialogue --
                                                          podcasting is starting to remind me of science fiction fandom so much it's
                                                          painful. And it occurs to me that if I'm right or totally wrong, either way
                                                          it's probably pointless to even point it out.

                                                          --steve b

                                                          _____

                                                          <mailto:steve%40steveboy.com> com> wrote:
                                                          > Few people outside of podcasting know what "podfading" means, and a song
                                                          > about it on your podcast wouldn't make a lick of sense to them.

                                                          You mean that podcasters don't use the word in their podcasts?

                                                          I think you're wrong.

                                                          Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis. <http://nobilis.libsyn.com> libsyn.com
                                                          -----
                                                          Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.
                                                          <http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4> com/2r25e4

                                                        • David Smith
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jan 14, 2008
                                                            I made the same point a while back, comparing it to the BBSing days. I
                                                            think there's at least a potential difference, in that some may acquire an
                                                            audience that is external to podcasting, eventually. Seems some have
                                                            already done so.

                                                            Makes me reconsider that radio station in San Francisco that was
                                                            broadcasting podcasts -- at least it's an audience not dependent on
                                                            knowledge of mostly obscure technology. Didn't like their licensing
                                                            agreements, though.