Re: [podcasters] Re: New Website Lets You Create Podcasts From A Webpage

  • David Smith
    Message 1 of 101 , Dec 31, 2007
      Steve has valid points here, Joe, and maybe I don't. I see it as useful
      in special cases, on-the-fly remotes where ones usual tools aren't
      available, but I don't see it as a day-to-day mechanism for creating final-
      form podcasts. The initial voice recording, speech only, is just a start.

      There is one sort of podcast where I can see a use for something like
      this, maybe. "Five Minute Memoir," for example, is generally an audio
      recording of one story by one person who, well, has one brief story to
      share, but no plans to do an ongoing podcast, kinda like a very long voice-
      comment.

      I still think this might be a starting point for a voice-comment
      mechanism, though. Wish I could remember that one site that promised a
      semi-turnkey voice commenting system. Don't recall the name, and when I
      stumbled across it it wasn't up and running yet -- don't know if they ever
      finished it, for that matter. Anyway, I can see a use for having a widget
      on my Libsyn site that can record voice comments but host them elsewhere --
      don't want to tie up part of my show-hosting space with voice comment
      files.

      Now there's an idea, promoting-wise. Do a blog on a near-and-dear topic.
      have a link for voice comments there on the blogsite, that goes back to
      your voice-recording system. With enough voice comments, assemble them,
      and your responses, into a podcast. It's a start, if you have an
      attractive topic you can do well.

      Likewise, such a voice-comment mechanism might be useful for shows (like
      mine) that have tried the K7 phone numbers but never got called. Might
      have a better response level if it's all web-based, since it wouldn't
      involve long-distance and/or international calls. And the audio quality
      might well be higher with such a mechanism than with a phone voicemail, or
      with Skype & Talkshoe & such.

      If you're really satisfied you can cope with the hosting duties for
      (potentially) so many files, generate a personalized link for each show
      that records their show's comments into their own FTP-accessible folders.
      Even a show with lots of comments can just FTP in and grab their stack of
      MP3s en masse. If used, it could get massive in a hurry, though.

      I admit, I don't know much more about Java than that it's a bad idea to
      put in cream and sugar. But I believe the script runs on the client
      computer, right? So in this context, a script that allows the selection
      (from a pull-down list?) of the 'cast to whom the comment is directed
      would be handy...

      Hey, waitaminute. Script generates the MP3, saves it on your site, person
      who recorded it provides an email address, and your system emails a link
      to the file to that address. Or attaches the file itself, if practicable.
      You've already got the recording and hosting part done, how hard is
      generating an email with a link to a file in it? The email address could
      be provided automagically by clicking an icon on the show's site -- the
      comment address is already pretty public, anyway -- calling the script
      with the email address as a parameter.

      Make that work, I'd sure try it out.

      It was 29 Dec 2007, when Stephen Eley commented:

      --
      Grizzly's Growls -- The Life and Times of a Minor Local
      Celebrity
      Message 101 of 101 , Jan 2, 2008
        Hey, waitaminute.

        First of all, you were presenting your basic recording-via-a-JAVA-script
        website as a tool for creating podcasts. MyChingo is -not- for creating
        podcasts, if I recall it correctly -- I stumbled across whatever-I-found
        back before they actually offered anything, years ago -- it was a
        mechanism for creating voice comments on a blogsite or podcast site.

        You had decided you were a place to record podcasts. Different process.
        And I'd imagine Google works at your house, just as it works as mine, and
        you could have found MyChingo the same way I did, or Steve did. And all
        the other hopefuls who are creating stuff on the web and hope people will
        use it.

        What Steve did was respond to MY post trying to recall the service I
        stumbled across -- doing web searches -- years back. I thank Steve for
        making the effort, though I'm not sure that's the one I recall.

        So, Steve should apologize to you for how he replied to my post? I don't
        think so, and I'll say that in front of God, and everybody I know in 20
        different countries.

        So, back-the-f***-up. Now that we've settled that Steve didn't respond to
        -my- post to offend -you-, What was your question (he said, menacing and
        flexlingly...)

        Seriously, though, you have the beginnings of a tool to do something, and
        I'm still not sure what. Voice commenting is one of the possibilities I
        can forsee, and if I'm not mistaken, I was the person who said that might
        be a good option for you to pursue. (and I'm still sure there's more
        possibilities here.)

        So, if when I suggest an idea, your response is to use it to justify an
        attack on a friend of mine, why am I still listening? Why is anybody here
        still listening?

        <cough> <harrumph>

        So... Given that you've thought better of your previous post (as I would
        have), how can I help?

        It was 1 Jan 2008, when Joe Thompson commented:

        --
        Grizzly's Growls