Re: Pod Expo final excerpts (and Homelessness interview)

  • Michael W. Dean
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Joe Thompson <onlymejoet@...> wrote:

      > Just a thought.
      ....without having to describe your condition as a descent into
      "homelessnessness" No wonder some people have trouble getting out of
      it when they can't even pronounce it....

      I don't understand. Did I say that?

      MWD

      "Clone The Homeless"
      Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
      was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
      http://www.clonethehomeless.com
    • Joe Thompson
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
        Nope - you didn't. (Which is a shame)

        It just stuck me that it was a very silly word. So I looked it up and it actually exists.

        You'll have to forgive me. I've a twisted way of looking at the world.

        Cheers

        Joe

        "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...> wrote: --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Joe Thompson <onlymejoet@...> wrote:

        > Just a thought.
        ....without having to describe your condition as a descent into
        "homelessnessness" No wonder some people have trouble getting out of
        it when they can't even pronounce it....

        I don't understand. Did I say that?

        MWD

        "Clone The Homeless"
        Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
        was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
        http://www.clonethehomeless.com

      • David Smith
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
          FWIW, having Been There, Done That myself, "Homelessnessness" kinda
          describes it. Homlessness is just being without a home. Homelessnessness
          is being without a home, and without a home without any expectation of
          ever having anything resembling a home. It's "homelessness" as a
          condition of life, of nature, of self-image. So it's a much bigger hole
          out of which to dig oneself.

          Not that that necessarily makes much sense. But given the large amount of
          money to support the concept of "homelessnessness" that my staff have
          received on my behalf, farbeit from me to deny the validity of same. And
          I'm sure my lawyers will agree.

          Unless I never was actually paid, or asked, to support the idea of
          "homelessnessness," which is true, as far as you know.

          It was 30 Dec 2007, when Joe Thompson commented:

          --
          Grizzly's Growls
          Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
            This reminds me of "antidisestablishmentarianism." Which shouldn't be a
            word, but is, anyway, dammit.

            BTW, in my previous post, I explained my definition of homelessnessness.
            So we've clarified that. My job is done here. Lemme check the web for
            when the sun sets, so I can ride off into the meteorological phenomenon
            related thereto.

            It was 30 Dec 2007, when Joe Thompson commented:

            > Nope - you didn't. (Which is a shame)
            >
            > It just stuck me that it was a very silly word. So I looked it up and it
            > actually exists.
            >
            > You'll have to forgive me. I've a twisted way of looking at the world.
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Joe
            >
            > "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Joe Thompson <onlymejoet@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Just a thought.
            > ....without having to describe your condition as a descent into
            > "homelessnessness" No wonder some people have trouble getting out of
            > it when they can't even pronounce it....
            >
            > I don't understand. Did I say that?
            >
            > MWD
            >
            > "Clone The Homeless"
            > Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
            > was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
            > http://www.clonethehomeless.com
            --
            Grizzly's Growls
            Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
            Listen or Subscribe:
            <http://feeds.feedburner.com/grizzlysgrowls>
          • Steven R. Boyett
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
              Just because it's in a dictionary doesn't mean it isn't a hideous neologism.
              "Indigent" seems perfectly adequate.

              --steve boyett

              _____

              --
              Grizzly's Growls
              Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com> libsyn.com>

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
                I'm sorry, I don't have a dictionary. Do you have a link for "hideous
                neologism?" I did a search, but I've already been to the Dianetics
                website. Thanks.

                ;-)

                It was 2 Jan 2008, when Steven R. Boyett commented:

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
                  Deconstruction is always good. "Neo" = "new." "Logos" = "word." Neologism:
                  new word.

                  Not following the Diuretics here.

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2008
                    To me, "homelessnessness" would seem to imply either a spriling state
                    where you cannot crawl out of being homeless (even if you get a job
                    interview, how do you shower, dress well or ride the bus?); or some
                    sort of liberal mewling about the "nobility" of being homeless.

                    I've heard that one before, and having been homeless (when I was 20),
                    I can state in a loud clear voice that there is no nobility in it.

                    -MWD
                    "Clone The Homeless"
                    Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
                    was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
                    http://www.clonethehomeless.com
                  • Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast?
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2008
                      On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 3:16 am, Michael W. Dean wrote:
                      > I've heard that one before, and having been homeless (when I was 20),
                      > I can state in a loud clear voice that there is no nobility in it.

                      Any "nobility" comes from the ability to pull yourself out of the
                      situation, rather than sitting back and waiting for someone to do it for
                      you.

                      Good job sir.
                      --
                      Brian Richardson
                      - http://whatthecast.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 3, 2008
                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast?"
                        <wtc@...> wrote:

                        > On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 3:16 am, Michael W. Dean wrote:
                        > > I've heard that one before, and having been homeless (when I was 20),
                        > > I can state in a loud clear voice that there is no nobility in it.
                        >
                        > Any "nobility" comes from the ability to pull yourself out of the
                        > situation, rather than sitting back and waiting for someone to do it
                        for
                        > you.
                        >
                        > Good job sir.
                        ----
                        Thank you.

                        Yeah, it's been a long road in the 23 years from destitute to indigent
                        to poverty to lower class to middle class to uppper middle class. I
                        like the view better from here, but never forget the start of that path.

                        And I never forget that Stephen Colbert line:

                        "Upper-middle class is a meaningless term created by the Upperclass to
                        keep the Middle class from joining with the Lower class when the
                        revolution comes."