Re: [podcasters] Re: Pod Expo final excerpts (and Homelessness interview)

  • Joe Thompson
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
      Just a thought.

      It's bad enough being homeless (been there, done that, got the t-shirt) without having to describe your condition as a descent into "homelessnessness" No wonder some people have trouble getting out of it when they can't even pronounce it....

      Cheers

      "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...> wrote: --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Joe Thompson <onlymejoet@...> wrote:

      > I enjoyed that.

      Thanks! Sort of an odds and ends cast. Posted here more for the
      podcaster interviews, I actually haven't listened to my homeless
      interview part ever. Just trimmed the in and out points, spot checked
      a few parts and stuck it in there.

      I'm working toward the day when I have to edit audio deaf at age 103.
      Will do it by eye. But by then, robot slaves will be cheap and
      plentiful anyway.

      My thing was actually just a part of the audio of a 90-minute
      interview I did for that guy's movie. Whenever I do interviews I only
      do them if I retain rights to also record or film for my own stuff.
      That's a right worth getting.

      He interviewed me because my podcast has the word "homeless" in the
      name. I don't think he expected me to be so "people should pull
      themselves up by their bootstraps" in my replies. I honestly doubt any
      of it will make it into the film.

      MWD

    • Michael W. Dean
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Joe Thompson <onlymejoet@...> wrote:

        > Just a thought.
        ....without having to describe your condition as a descent into
        "homelessnessness" No wonder some people have trouble getting out of
        it when they can't even pronounce it....

        I don't understand. Did I say that?

        MWD

        "Clone The Homeless"
        Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
        was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
        http://www.clonethehomeless.com
      • Joe Thompson
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
          Nope - you didn't. (Which is a shame)

          It just stuck me that it was a very silly word. So I looked it up and it actually exists.

          You'll have to forgive me. I've a twisted way of looking at the world.

          Cheers

          Joe

          "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...> wrote: --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Joe Thompson <onlymejoet@...> wrote:

          > Just a thought.
          ....without having to describe your condition as a descent into
          "homelessnessness" No wonder some people have trouble getting out of
          it when they can't even pronounce it....

          I don't understand. Did I say that?

          MWD

          "Clone The Homeless"
          Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
          was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
          http://www.clonethehomeless.com

        • David Smith
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
            FWIW, having Been There, Done That myself, "Homelessnessness" kinda
            describes it. Homlessness is just being without a home. Homelessnessness
            is being without a home, and without a home without any expectation of
            ever having anything resembling a home. It's "homelessness" as a
            condition of life, of nature, of self-image. So it's a much bigger hole
            out of which to dig oneself.

            Not that that necessarily makes much sense. But given the large amount of
            money to support the concept of "homelessnessness" that my staff have
            received on my behalf, farbeit from me to deny the validity of same. And
            I'm sure my lawyers will agree.

            Unless I never was actually paid, or asked, to support the idea of
            "homelessnessness," which is true, as far as you know.

            It was 30 Dec 2007, when Joe Thompson commented:

            --
            Grizzly's Growls
            Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
              This reminds me of "antidisestablishmentarianism." Which shouldn't be a
              word, but is, anyway, dammit.

              BTW, in my previous post, I explained my definition of homelessnessness.
              So we've clarified that. My job is done here. Lemme check the web for
              when the sun sets, so I can ride off into the meteorological phenomenon
              related thereto.

              It was 30 Dec 2007, when Joe Thompson commented:

              > Nope - you didn't. (Which is a shame)
              >
              > It just stuck me that it was a very silly word. So I looked it up and it
              > actually exists.
              >
              > You'll have to forgive me. I've a twisted way of looking at the world.
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Joe
              >
              > "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
              > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Joe Thompson <onlymejoet@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Just a thought.
              > ....without having to describe your condition as a descent into
              > "homelessnessness" No wonder some people have trouble getting out of
              > it when they can't even pronounce it....
              >
              > I don't understand. Did I say that?
              >
              > MWD
              >
              > "Clone The Homeless"
              > Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
              > was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
              > http://www.clonethehomeless.com
              --
              Grizzly's Growls
              Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
              Listen or Subscribe:
              <http://feeds.feedburner.com/grizzlysgrowls>
            • Steven R. Boyett
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
                Just because it's in a dictionary doesn't mean it isn't a hideous neologism.
                "Indigent" seems perfectly adequate.

                --steve boyett

                _____

                --
                Grizzly's Growls
                Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com> libsyn.com>

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
                  I'm sorry, I don't have a dictionary. Do you have a link for "hideous
                  neologism?" I did a search, but I've already been to the Dianetics
                  website. Thanks.

                  ;-)

                  It was 2 Jan 2008, when Steven R. Boyett commented:

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
                    Deconstruction is always good. "Neo" = "new." "Logos" = "word." Neologism:
                    new word.

                    Not following the Diuretics here.

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2008
                      To me, "homelessnessness" would seem to imply either a spriling state
                      where you cannot crawl out of being homeless (even if you get a job
                      interview, how do you shower, dress well or ride the bus?); or some
                      sort of liberal mewling about the "nobility" of being homeless.

                      I've heard that one before, and having been homeless (when I was 20),
                      I can state in a loud clear voice that there is no nobility in it.

                      -MWD
                      "Clone The Homeless"
                      Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
                      was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
                      http://www.clonethehomeless.com
                    • Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast?
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 3, 2008
                        On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 3:16 am, Michael W. Dean wrote:
                        > I've heard that one before, and having been homeless (when I was 20),
                        > I can state in a loud clear voice that there is no nobility in it.

                        Any "nobility" comes from the ability to pull yourself out of the
                        situation, rather than sitting back and waiting for someone to do it for
                        you.

                        Good job sir.
                        --
                        Brian Richardson
                        - http://whatthecast.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 3, 2008
                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast?"
                          <wtc@...> wrote:

                          > On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 3:16 am, Michael W. Dean wrote:
                          > > I've heard that one before, and having been homeless (when I was 20),
                          > > I can state in a loud clear voice that there is no nobility in it.
                          >
                          > Any "nobility" comes from the ability to pull yourself out of the
                          > situation, rather than sitting back and waiting for someone to do it
                          for
                          > you.
                          >
                          > Good job sir.
                          ----
                          Thank you.

                          Yeah, it's been a long road in the 23 years from destitute to indigent
                          to poverty to lower class to middle class to uppper middle class. I
                          like the view better from here, but never forget the start of that path.

                          And I never forget that Stephen Colbert line:

                          "Upper-middle class is a meaningless term created by the Upperclass to
                          keep the Middle class from joining with the Lower class when the
                          revolution comes."