Help with mixer configuration

  • Nobilis
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 29, 2007
      Okay, here's my question:

      I want to be able to listen to output from my computer on the
      headphones connected to my mixer, but (for obvious reasons) I don't
      want the output from the computer to go on the mixer output back into
      the computer.

      Is there a knob that would tell the mixer, "Put this in the headphones
      but not in the mix"?

      -----
      Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4
    • Michael W. Dean
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 29, 2007
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nobilis <authornobilis@...> wrote:

        > Okay, here's my question:
        >
        > I want to be able to listen to output from my computer on the
        > headphones connected to my mixer, but (for obvious reasons) I don't
        > want the output from the computer to go on the mixer output back into
        > the computer.
        >
        > Is there a knob that would tell the mixer, "Put this in the headphones
        > but not in the mix"?

        It's a on-off switch on my mixer.

        MWD
        "Clone The Homeless"
        Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
        was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
        http://www.clonethehomeless.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 29, 2007
          I can think of a few options here. One would be to see if your mixer
          has some sort of control room input that you can assign to monitor.
          If that isn't available, you could run your computer in through a
          regular channel, assign every *other* channel to an aux or side bus,
          and then run the aux to your machine instead of the main mix.

          On 12/29/07, Nobilis <authornobilis@...> wrote:
          > Okay, here's my question:
          >
          > I want to be able to listen to output from my computer on the
          > headphones connected to my mixer, but (for obvious reasons) I don't
          > want the output from the computer to go on the mixer output back into
          > the computer.
          >
          > Is there a knob that would tell the mixer, "Put this in the headphones
          > but not in the mix"?
          >
          > --
          > Weekly erotica served up on your ipod or mp3 player -- subscribe to
          > Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
          > -----
          > Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Nobilis
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 29, 2007
            On Dec 29, 2007 5:56 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
            > I can think of a few options here. One would be to see if your mixer
            > has some sort of control room input that you can assign to monitor.
            > If that isn't available, you could run your computer in through a
            > regular channel, assign every *other* channel to an aux or side bus,
            > and then run the aux to your machine instead of the main mix.

            I've got a socket on the board labeled "FX Send" and knobs on every
            channel marked "FX"... this bears some experimentation.

            -----
            Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4
          • Richard Amirault
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 29, 2007
              From: "Nobilis"
              > I want to be able to listen to output from my computer on the
              > headphones connected to my mixer, but (for obvious reasons) I don't
              > want the output from the computer to go on the mixer output back into
              > the computer.
              >
              > Is there a knob that would tell the mixer, "Put this in the headphones
              > but not in the mix"?

              Not sure what you are trying to do. Are you recording on the computer, or
              are you playing a file *from* the computer?

              If you want to listen to what is being recorded on the computer *while* it
              is being recorded .. you may have a problem with latentsy (sp?) Because of
              the processing time in the computer the sound out is delayed when compared
              to the sound it. If, for instance, you want to listen to yourself talk, and
              there is any sort of delay, it drives you crazy and you cannot speak
              normally.

              Mixers that are for DJ's have a feature to listen to source material without
              going out the main outputs .. called CUE. Regular audio boards like most of
              us podcasters have, don't have that feature.

              Richard Amirault
              Boston, MA, USA
              http://n1jdu.org
              http://bostonfandom.org
            • Nobilis
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 29, 2007
                What I want to be able to do is listen to what's already been recorded
                in my computer without switching headphones.

                Currently, I have one pair hooked up to the mixer, and another hooked
                up to the computer, and it's a minor PITA to have to keep switching
                back and forth if I'm doing things like foley.

                -----
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 29, 2007
                  From: "Nobilis"

                  > What I want to be able to do is listen to what's already been recorded
                  > in my computer without switching headphones.
                  >
                  > Currently, I have one pair hooked up to the mixer, and another hooked
                  > up to the computer, and it's a minor PITA to have to keep switching
                  > back and forth if I'm doing things like foley.

                  That sounds simple enough. Hook the headphone out of the computer into a
                  "line-in" jack (or better jacks) of the mixer. Use a regular channel with a
                  fader control (knob or slider). The computer jack uses a 1/8" stereo jack,
                  and the mixer will generally have a pair of 1/4" jacks per channel. However
                  many mixers have a single 1/4" jack for the mic channels in addition to an
                  XLR jack. It's up to you to find a cable or adaptors to make that work.

                  When you want to listen to the computer turn up the control for that
                  channel. When you are done, turn it down. If you are not recording (on the
                  computer) when you are listening (to the computer) then it does not matter
                  that the sound is being fed back into the computer.

                  Or am I missing something here?

                  Richard Amirault
                  Boston, MA, USA
                  http://n1jdu.org
                  http://bostonfandom.org
                • Nobilis
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 29, 2007
                    That's an improvement. Dialing a knob is easier than switching headphones.

                    On Dec 29, 2007 8:43 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...> wrote:

                    > When you want to listen to the computer turn up the control for that
                    > channel. When you are done, turn it down. If you are not recording (on the
                    > computer) when you are listening (to the computer) then it does not matter
                    > that the sound is being fed back into the computer.
                    >
                    > Or am I missing something here?

                    -----
                    Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4
                  • Steven R. Boyett
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 29, 2007
                      I assume you're using the mobo sound? An option that gives high-quality
                      digital-audio conversion, dedicated headphone outs, mic ins with preamps,
                      and lots of routing flexibility is an outboard soundcard such as the M-Audio
                      FireWire Solo (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWireSolo-main.html)
                      or somesuch. (Granted it's also not a cheap option.)

                      --steve boyett

                      _____

                      That's an improvement. Dialing a knob is easier than switching headphones.

                      Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis. <http://nobilis.libsyn.com> libsyn.com
                      -----
                      Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.
                      <http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4> com/2r25e4