Daft Doggy Limitations

  • onlymejoet
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2007
      Hi all.

      Just thought I better let you know about the bugs and limitations of
      the Daft Doggy Voice Recording Website and a little about why I wrote it.

      To start with, I wanted to see if it was possible to write a simple
      site that would allow voice recording directly from a web page. All
      you need is a PC and a microphone. Well, obviously, it was possible.
      However, due to the way the JAVA app works, this site only works with
      PC's running Windows (XP or VISTA). I can probably get it to work with
      LINUX but MACs are a no-no. Sorry about that but MACs won't let me
      talk to the hardware.

      It supports most browsers but, again, it won't support SAFARI even on
      a PC. No idea why but SAFARI just hangs when accessing the app.

      Currently, the way the site works is that the JAVA app records the MP3
      locally until the recording is finished and then uploads it to a MYSQL
      database. It also prouduces embeded code that you can paste into
      websites, blogs etc and a direct link that you can share with people.
      It doesn't support direct downloading yet as I'm still figuring out
      how to do that without breaking other parts of the download page. I
      could eaily do it on a separate page but thats messy.

      As far as legal stuff goes, the person who records and uploads the MP3
      is the legal copyright holder. Daft Doggy has no interest in claiming
      any rights over other people's recordings. That's no why I wrote the
      site. I'll whip up some T&C when I get the chance.

      However, that said, I'll still have problems identifying the exact
      owner of any recording made through DD. That's becuase I don't require
      a login to make or listen to recordings. In fact, I don't gather any
      state information. I might have to change that in the future,
      especially if people want the recordings to be private. Currently,
      there's nothing to stop anyone browsing through the recordings by
      simply changing the ID of the recording in the browser window.

      Well that's it. A quick and dirty site to make podcasts.

      If anyone has any thoughts on this or wants to help make Daft Doggy
      better please drop me a line.

      Cheers

      Legless