Losing the static

  • David Moldawer
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 23, 2007
      For some reason, my last few recordings (done as 44.1 KHz WAV or AIFF
      files with my Zoom H4) have come out of Levelator with a distinct
      background static. I don't really hear it on the original, and I'm not
      sure what's causing it, but my question is: what's an easy, fast way
      to remove background static? I use Final Cut to edit, but none of the
      filters seem to offer an obvious solution.

      Can one of the audio pros here tell me what common audio filter or
      Audacity plug-in or free app will clean audio? Adobe Soundbooth has a
      noise reduction effect that's super-easy, but I don't have that on my
      Mac yet so I need something in the interim.

      Ideas? Also, is there a place to go to learn about Final Cut's
      inscrutable audio filters? Or should I bite the bullet and take an
      audio production class?
    • Matthew K

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 24, 2007
          On Dec 23, 2007 9:46 PM, David Moldawer <moldawer@...> wrote:
          > For some reason, my last few recordings (done as 44.1 KHz WAV or AIFF
          > files with my Zoom H4) have come out of Levelator with a distinct
          > background static. I don't really hear it on the original, and I'm not
          > sure what's causing it, but my question is: what's an easy, fast way
          > to remove background static? I use Final Cut to edit, but none of the
          > filters seem to offer an obvious solution.

          Huh. You're editing sound with Final Cut? That's a slightly odd
          choice. If you have access to the entire Final Cut Studio, check out
          Soundtrack Pro. In my opinion it's the best software on the Mac for
          non-music audio production. If you don't have Final Cut Studio, but
          you do use Final Cut for video work a lot, consider getting it and
          expensing it. >8->

          If you do have Soundtrack Pro, the noise reduction feature on it is
          very good. I actually like it better than SoundSoap. If you don't
          have it, the noise reducer built into Audacity is...adequate. Another
          option, if you're only hearing the static during periods of silence,
          is to use a noise gate or expander function.

          My guess is that the noise was there in your original recording, but
          you didn't hear it until the Levelator brought up the overall volume
          level. My experience with noise levels is one reason I don't use the
          Levelator very much for general one-person recording.

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • David Moldawer
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 24, 2007
            Here's a 30-second AIFF clip of the original recording:

            http://www.moldawer.com/podcasting/original.aif

            The gain's so low on the H4 you really need to crank up the volume to
            hear anything

            And here's the same clip levelated, where I hear the static:

            http://www.moldawer.com/podcasting/levelated.aif

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Matthew K <matt_hew@...> wrote:

            > Is it static or a hum? Can you make a link to a 20 second sample of
            the audio?

            > Matthew K
            >
            > David Moldawer <moldawer@...> wrote:
            > For some reason, my last few recordings (done as 44.1 KHz
            WAV or AIFF
            > files with my Zoom H4) have come out of Levelator with a distinct
            > background static. I don't really hear it on the original, and I'm not
            > sure what's causing it, but my question is: what's an easy, fast way
            > to remove background static? I use Final Cut to edit, but none of the
            > filters seem to offer an obvious solution.
            >
            > Can one of the audio pros here tell me what common audio filter or
            > Audacity plug-in or free app will clean audio? Adobe Soundbooth has a
            > noise reduction effect that's super-easy, but I don't have that on my
            > Mac yet so I need something in the interim.
            >
            > Ideas? Also, is there a place to go to learn about Final Cut's
            > inscrutable audio filters? Or should I bite the bullet and take an
            > audio production class?

          • Richard Amirault
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 24, 2007
              From: "David Moldawer"

              > Here's a 30-second AIFF clip of the original recording:
              > The gain's so low on the H4 you really need to crank up the volume to
              > hear anything
              > And here's the same clip levelated, where I hear the static:

              I liestned to both .. and I'm no expert on these things .. but it sounds to
              me like the original file's level was way, way too low. I think you need to
              figure out a way to raise the level while you are recording.

              Richard Amirault
              Boston, MA, USA
              http://n1jdu.org
              http://bostonfandom.org
            • Matthew K
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 24, 2007
                Are you using a microphone amp?

                David Moldawer <moldawer@...> wrote: Here's a 30-second AIFF clip of the original recording:

                http://www.moldawer.com/podcasting/original.aif

                The gain's so low on the H4 you really need to crank up the volume to
                hear anything

                And here's the same clip levelated, where I hear the static:

                http://www.moldawer.com/podcasting/levelated.aif

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Matthew K <matt_hew@...> wrote:

                > Is it static or a hum? Can you make a link to a 20 second sample of
                the audio?

                > Matthew K
                >
                > David Moldawer <moldawer@...> wrote:
                > For some reason, my last few recordings (done as 44.1 KHz
                WAV or AIFF
                > files with my Zoom H4) have come out of Levelator with a distinct
                > background static. I don't really hear it on the original, and I'm not
                > sure what's causing it, but my question is: what's an easy, fast way
                > to remove background static? I use Final Cut to edit, but none of the
                > filters seem to offer an obvious solution.
                >
                > Can one of the audio pros here tell me what common audio filter or
                > Audacity plug-in or free app will clean audio? Adobe Soundbooth has a
                > noise reduction effect that's super-easy, but I don't have that on my
                > Mac yet so I need something in the interim.
                >
                > Ideas? Also, is there a place to go to learn about Final Cut's
                > inscrutable audio filters? Or should I bite the bullet and take an
                > audio production class?

              • Michael W. Dean
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 25, 2007
                  My experience with levelator is it can bring background noise and room
                  reflection UP. Try recording a test in a closet between some clothes
                  so there's no reflection at all and levelate that. If that sounds
                  fine, that's your issue.
                • Michael W. Dean
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 25, 2007
                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Moldawer" <moldawer@...> wrote:

                    > For some reason, my last few recordings (done as 44.1 KHz WAV or
                    > AIFF files with my Zoom H4) have come out of Levelator with a
                    > distinct background static....

                    Could it be that the input settings on the H4 are set really low?

                    > Can one of the audio pros here tell me what common audio filter

                    I don't use any noise reduction, it all sounds compromised to me. What
                    I do is just get a great original sound with no audible background
                    noise. This has involved nailing about 20 blankets to the walls of the
                    three rooms we podcast in. It sounds great. Even when we're not
                    recording, it makes the house a lot more embryonic, as there's no
                    reflection of room sounds.

                    Also, we make sure the AC, fan, dryer, etc are off before we podcast,
                    tend to record late at night to avoid street sounds that get through
                    the wall, have boarded up a window and covered it with carpet, and all
                    the floors are carpeted (and the ceiling in our studio is carpeted.)

                    Also speaking closely to the Zoom's on-board mics helps. Not too much
                    to cause distortion, but close enough that the ratio of talking to any
                    ambient remaining reflection, and outside sounds, is higher.

                    We record with this setup with the Zoom H2 (which is, from most
                    accounts, not as good as the H4) and it sounds great.

                    --Michael W. Dean
                    "Clone The Homeless"
                    Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
                    was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
                    http://www.clonethehomeless.com

                    MWD
                  • Erk Pod
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 25, 2007
                      On Dec 25, 2007 8:35 PM, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

                      > --
                      >

                      > Also, we make sure the AC, fan, dryer, etc are off before we podcast,
                      > tend to record late at night to avoid street sounds that get through
                      > the wall, have boarded up a window and covered it with carpet, and all
                      > the floors are carpeted (and the ceiling in our studio is carpeted.)

                      That is one mistake that I made in the last edition of Erk Pod (episode 69).

                      It was so hot here that I decided to leave my AC on. So I did a test
                      recording and it sounded OK through the headphones so I kept the AC on and
                      recorded an episode. However after I played the episode back with the AC
                      off, you can hear the AC on in the background. quite clearly. Then again, I
                      seem to learn something after each episode!

                      Merry Xmas and a Happy 2008 to you all

                      *Erk*
                      Sydney, Australia

                      ERK POD (general podcast):
                      Website: http://www.erkpod.com.au
                      Feed: http://erkpodding.podshow.com/feed.xml

                      ERK TO THE DIARY ROOM (Australian Big Brother podcast)
                      Website: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com
                      Feed: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

                    • David Moldawer
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 25, 2007
                        Thanks to everyone for their advice. I think there may be something
                        wonky with my Zoom, but in the meantime I'll snag Soundtrack Pro and
                        use that to clean off that edge of static. And I'll record at a higher
                        gain and see if that helps, too.

                        Happy Holidays!