Re: Podcast directories: Which ones are crucial to be listed in?

  • writerpatrick
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 16, 2007
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "nycedeli" <lavenividivici@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > Just a question about podcast directories. Which ones are crucial to
      > be listed in? I've submitted my podcast to roughly 10 different
      > directories but am now experiencing different problems. For example,
      > some directories have no listing of my show, although their web site
      > says that my feed is in their system. Others only have the first
      > couple of episodes of my show but not the latest episodes. When I
      > check the feed, the feed validator says the feed is valid.
      >
      > Anyway, I like to keep things simple. So my question to the group
      is,
      > if my podcast is only listed in iTunes, is that good enough? Which
      > other directories are crucial to be in because of their web traffic
      > and reach?

      You should be listing in as many directories as you can find. Having
      said that, there's few that will likely bring you traffic. This is
      mainly because it seems that word of mouth does more than a directory
      listing but it also depends upon how the directory is designed. I
      like Podcast Pickle becuase it's well designed (with maybe a few
      format flaws) and it allows smaller podcasts to get seen. Some I'm
      listed on make it hard to find my podcast even when searching for it.

      iTunes today does nothing if you're not one of the top podcasts.
      You're likely to just get buried and get no traffic at all. There are
      too many "dead" or podfaded podcasts still listed, as well as all the
      pros who throw some real money and may be part of a TV show on which
      they can advertize their podcast. Being listed on iTunes is more for
      the convience of those who use iTunes.

      You should also submit your podcast to Zune even though it may take a
      few months before it appears. It seems doubtful that those already
      submitted will appear before Christmas.

      What I have found more useful than being listed is participating in
      forums. Even though I'm not listed on Zune yet, I have picked up a
      few listeners from the Zune.net forum. (And you don't have to own a
      Zune.)

      The important thing is to be creative and constantly promote your
      podcast, but don't be pushy or spam. The field is already crowded and
      growing. And do a good show--quality counts.