Recording from Microphone AND Wave in Windows XP

  • namlig1
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 7, 2004
      Using just about any recording software in Windows you can choose to
      record either CD audio, Microphone audio, line-in, or the outputted
      wave sounds. Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to record from both
      microphone and line-in.

      I wish to do this so that I can record a show using AIM or MSN
      Messenger. Any ideas for grabbing the audio from more than one source
      in Windows?
    • jean_scholtes
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
        have you tried http://www.totalrecorder.com ?
        should do the trick
        jean

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "namlig1" <namlig1@y...> wrote:

        > Using just about any recording software in Windows you can choose to
        > record either CD audio, Microphone audio, line-in, or the outputted
        > wave sounds. Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to record from
        both
        > microphone and line-in.
        >
        > I wish to do this so that I can record a show using AIM or MSN
        > Messenger. Any ideas for grabbing the audio from more than one
        source
        > in Windows?
      • Rick Wezowicz
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
          "have you tried http://www.totalrecorder.com ?"

          Agreed ... Total Recorder is excellent ... (it can also help you
          record streams). It's only about $10 if you want to buy the full
          version ... I highly recommend it.

          Rick
        • namlig1
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
            Thanks for the heads up on Total Recorder.

            I've found a (rather primitive) way to route the sound of both the
            wave channel and the microphone channel to any recording program (I'm
            using Cool Edit). It seemed too simple before so I didn't bother
            trying it.

            In the sound properties in Windows select, as your recording channel,
            "stereo mix" then go to town in the audio editing program of your choice.

            I can't promise it'll be the best sound quality ever, but it's a start.

            - John

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Wezowicz" <rwezowicz@h...> wrote:

            > "have you tried http://www.totalrecorder.com ?"
            >
            > Agreed ... Total Recorder is excellent ... (it can also help you
            > record streams). It's only about $10 if you want to buy the full
            > version ... I highly recommend it.
            >
            > Rick
          • andrew clarke
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
              On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 05:20:14PM -0000, namlig1 wrote:

              > I've found a (rather primitive) way to route the sound of both the
              > wave channel and the microphone channel to any recording program (I'm
              > using Cool Edit). It seemed too simple before so I didn't bother
              > trying it.
              >
              > In the sound properties in Windows select, as your recording channel,
              > "stereo mix" then go to town in the audio editing program of your choice.

              Mark VandeWettering of Brainwagon demonstrates this in a 10 Mb Windows
              Media video file, linked from
              http://brainwagon.org/archives/2004/10/06/610/. Instead of CoolEdit Pro
              he's using Audacity.

              For some PC sound card the recording input is named "What U Hear" or
              "Sum" instead of "Stereo Mix".

              Total Recorder is unnecessary for most people.

              > I can't promise it'll be the best sound quality ever, but it's a start.

              The recorded audio of the mix should be near to CD quality on any modern
              sound card provided you record at 44.1 KHz at 16-bit.

              Regards
              Andrew
            • raytracer
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, andrew clarke <mail@o...> wrote:
                > On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 05:20:14PM -0000, namlig1 wrote:
                >
                > > I've found a (rather primitive) way to route the sound of both the
                > > wave channel and the microphone channel to any recording program (I'm
                > > using Cool Edit). It seemed too simple before so I didn't bother
                > > trying it.
                > >
                > > In the sound properties in Windows select, as your recording channel,
                > > "stereo mix" then go to town in the audio editing program of your
                choice.

                > Mark VandeWettering of Brainwagon demonstrates this in a 10 Mb Windows
                > Media video file, linked from
                > http://brainwagon.org/archives/2004/10/06/610/. Instead of CoolEdit Pro
                > he's using Audacity.

                Woohoo! I'm popular!

                Too popular in fact, my poor little cable modem is melting under
                the strain of downloads. If anyone wants to mirror this somewhere
                feel free.

                > For some PC sound card the recording input is named "What U Hear" or
                > "Sum" instead of "Stereo Mix".
                >
                > Total Recorder is unnecessary for most people.
                >
                > > I can't promise it'll be the best sound quality ever, but it's a
                start.

                > The recorded audio of the mix should be near to CD quality on any modern
                > sound card provided you record at 44.1 KHz at 16-bit.

                I record my weblogs at 22050, and encode with lame at 64kbps. Not
                CD quality, to be sure, but it's probably good enough for my purposes.

                > Regards
                > Andrew

                Mark
              • Kath
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
                  Hi everyone, I've been trying ipodder for windows since last night and it downloads the files ok but doesn't seem to send them to my ipod. is it supposed to be integrated with itunes or is that just the mac version or have I missed an option somewhere. I've been listening to the files on my harddrive then I can transfer to ipod later. also, is there a way to change the downloads directory location - I prefer to put downloads in another directory so it makes backing up a single data area easier instead of having to select data from program files sub-dirs.

                  great idea though, I've been doing netradio for last 4 years and haven't uploaded recorded shows (one reason is the copyright issues) but maybe I'll try this out to send with the rss feeds. as a listener it's great, because there's so many sites I visit, I hardly make it back to the same ones very often so this way I can subscribe and have the shows sent to me to listen when I have the chance. I'm hoping some of the radio stations back in Australia might start using these technologies so I can listen from here. we always thought it'd be cool to have netradio in the car! this is the start. keep up the great work :)

                  Kath

                  ::: http://www.AliaK.com :::
                  ::: briz:b:e:a:t:s internet radio @ www.pulseradio.net  :::
                  ::: [filter] listings : electronic music:arts:projects:news:events :::
                  login & post your news

                • Gordon Smith
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
                    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 22:09:26 -0000, raytracer <markv@...> wrote:

                    > > Mark VandeWettering of Brainwagon demonstrates this in a 10 Mb Windows
                    > > Media video file, linked from
                    > > http://brainwagon.org/archives/2004/10/06/610/. Instead of CoolEdit Pro
                    > > he's using Audacity.
                    >
                    > Woohoo! I'm popular!
                    >
                    > Too popular in fact, my poor little cable modem is melting under
                    > the strain of downloads. If anyone wants to mirror this somewhere
                    > feel free.

                    http://las.new-england.net.au/brainwagon/podcast.wmv

                    Gordon
                    --
                    Gordon Smith / VK2DJG
                    http://las.new-england.net.au/
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "raytracer" <markv@b...> wrote:

                      > Woohoo! I'm popular!
                      >
                      > Too popular in fact, my poor little cable modem is melting under
                      > the strain of downloads. If anyone wants to mirror this somewhere
                      > feel free.
                      >
                      > Mark

                      How about a Bit Torrent? (Forgive me, it's my first time seeding and
                      I'm not sure I actually did it right)

                      http://www.escom.biz/bt//download.php?id=925&name=podcast.wmv.torrent

                      Here's to hoping that it actually worked.
                    • billzegarski
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
                        On this note, does anyone know if there is something like a USB mixer
                        board that can be added to a PC or Mac? I want to do a cross fade,
                        but I can only click on one fader at a time. a manual board would be
                        GREAT!

                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, andrew clarke <mail@o...> wrote:
                        > On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 05:20:14PM -0000, namlig1 wrote:
                        >
                        > > I've found a (rather primitive) way to route the sound of both the
                        > > wave channel and the microphone channel to any recording program (I'm
                        > > using Cool Edit). It seemed too simple before so I didn't bother
                        > > trying it.
                        > >
                        > > In the sound properties in Windows select, as your recording channel,
                        > > "stereo mix" then go to town in the audio editing program of your
                        choice.

                        > Mark VandeWettering of Brainwagon demonstrates this in a 10 Mb Windows
                        > Media video file, linked from
                        > http://brainwagon.org/archives/2004/10/06/610/. Instead of CoolEdit Pro
                        > he's using Audacity.
                        >
                        > For some PC sound card the recording input is named "What U Hear" or
                        > "Sum" instead of "Stereo Mix".
                        >
                        > Total Recorder is unnecessary for most people.
                        >
                        > > I can't promise it'll be the best sound quality ever, but it's a
                        start.

                        > The recorded audio of the mix should be near to CD quality on any modern
                        > sound card provided you record at 44.1 KHz at 16-bit.
                        >
                        > Regards
                        > Andrew
                      • Wendy
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 11, 2004
                          I know people who do audio documentaries rave about something called
                          an MBox.

                          http://www.digidesign.com/products/mbox/

                          It might be exactly what you are looking for.

                          Be well,

                          Wendy
                        • dentonclayton
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 11, 2004
                            I own an mbox and have used it to record my music. It's a USB
                            interface that runs protools LE recording software. It has quarter-
                            inch jack inputs for your microphones, instruments, etc., and feeds
                            the audio into your pc/protools via usb. You can find them used on
                            ebay for about $350. I just heard about podcasting and am going to
                            see if I can use my mbox to create my 'cast. Fingers crossed, i'm
                            not that savvy...yet!