Cork for soundproofing and sound treatment?

  • Michael W. Dean
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2007
      We have a bedroom wall in our duplex that's shared with neighbors in
      an adjoining house. We can hear them clanking silver a little in their
      kitchen. We assume they can hear us too, and would like to do some
      soundproofing. We sometimes record in that room.

      Does anyone know if squares of cork would offer much soundproofing?
      Also, would it be an effective sound treatment (to cut down reflection
      of sound we produce in the room, reduce echo for recording), or would
      we have to cover it with a blanket?

      Also, Steve Eley, did you ever find out about that Green Glue stuff?

      Thank you,
      MWD
    • Flyswatter
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2007
        Might work, but wouldn't it also be a fire hazard? I'd hate for anything to
        happen to you guys!

        --
        Laura Ross

        The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
        http://coffeeandteashow.com
        Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
        coffeeandteashow@...

        Rocky Horror Pod Show
        http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
        Listener hotline: 206-350-0972 (note NEWER new number!)
        rockypod@...
        Join the Rockypod Google Group at http://groups.google.com/group/rockypod

      • michael
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2007
          You could probably also use the egg crate stuff as well. Or do like a
          friend of mine did and put up egg cartons.

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2007
            We put up a decorative quilt. It looks quite nice.

            On Dec 4, 2007 11:03 PM, michael <mwringer@...> wrote:
            > You could probably also use the egg crate stuff as well. Or do like a
            > friend of mine did and put up egg cartons.

            -----
            Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4
          • Michael W. Dean
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2007
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "michael" <mwringer@...> wrote:

              > You could probably also use the egg crate stuff as well. Or do like
              >a friend of mine did and put up egg cartons.

              That stuff does well for sound treatment, but not soundproofing. They
              are two very different things.

              Sound proofing keeps outside sounds out, and keeps inside sounds in.
              Sound treatment deadens echos within the room, but doesn't keep sound
              from going through the wall much.

              You can have a soundproof room with no sound treatment. A cinderblock
              bunker would be a good example. It would keep noise out, but would be
              echoy inside when you talked.

              And you can have a sound-treated room that is not soundproofed. The
              converted spare bedroom we record our podcasts in is a good example.
              The floors, ceilings and walls are covered with rugs and blankets.
              It's very dead in there, great for recording podcasts, they sound way
              more pro than before we did that, but the occasional car horn in the
              driveway ends up on our casts. And if I played say, a drum kit, in
              here, it would be a great acoustically dead room to get a good sound
              in, but the neighbors would call the cops. Here's a photo in that
              room: http://www.kittyfeet.com/DSC_0044001.jpg
              Here's another:
              http://bp1.blogger.com/_qLw1zotgpfs/Rktf6hSy-2I/AAAAAAAAAHc/sprYx0u7-CU/s1600-h/Michael-W-Dean-10.jpg

              We went to Home Depot tonight, and of all the billions of things they
              sell, the only things they sell with soundproofing that don't involve
              major contracting work are acoustic tiles that "may cause cancer"
              according to the label.

              I know you can build a "room within a room" but that's more than we
              want to do.

              We didn't wanna leave empty handed, so we bought two large padded
              moving blankets for 15 bucks each, they will cover the one wall that
              is common with the neighbors. Will sound deaden the room to make
              bedroom podcasts a little less echoy, but I doubt they'll cut out much
              noise transmission from the other side of the wall. I'll let you know
              tomorrow, it's too late to pound nails into the wall tonight.

              Basically I don't want to have get woken up by the neighbors making
              their breakfast and dropping silverware, and I don't want them hearing
              our spirited lovemaking.

              MWD
            • michael
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 4, 2007
                You could always move :-) I just wish I didn't hear the freaking apartment
                complex they put in behind my house. oh how I miss my 40 acre back yard!

                > You could probably also use the egg crate stuff as well. Or do like
                >a friend of mine did and put up egg cartons.

                That stuff does well for sound treatment, but not soundproofing. They
                are two very different things.

                Sound proofing keeps outside sounds out, and keeps inside sounds in.
                Sound treatment deadens echos within the room, but doesn't keep sound
                from going through the wall much.

                You can have a soundproof room with no sound treatment. A cinderblock
                bunker would be a good example. It would keep noise out, but would be
                echoy inside when you talked.

                And you can have a sound-treated room that is not soundproofed. The
                converted spare bedroom we record our podcasts in is a good example.
                The floors, ceilings and walls are covered with rugs and blankets.
                It's very dead in there, great for recording podcasts, they sound way
                more pro than before we did that, but the occasional car horn in the
                driveway ends up on our casts. And if I played say, a drum kit, in
                here, it would be a great acoustically dead room to get a good sound
                in, but the neighbors would call the cops. Here's a photo in that
                room: http://www.kittyfee <http://www.kittyfeet.com/DSC_0044001.jpg>
                t.com/DSC_0044001.jpg
                Here's another:
                http://bp1.blogger

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 2007
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "michael" <mwringer@...> wrote:

                  > You could always move :-)

                  That's in the cards for us, but probably in ten or fifteen years.

                  --Michael "40 acres and a llama" Dean
                • Matthew K
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 4, 2007
                    Anybody know how the iTunes rating system works?

                  • Steven R. Boyett
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 4, 2007
                      It is based on the number of new subscribers in a fixed period (I can't
                      remember if it's 24 hours).

                      --steve boyett

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 5, 2007
                        I think they pick out of a hat and it's a small hat. ; )

                        The Half Show with Me-saj & Jason
                        YOUR INTERNET ENTERTAINMENT SOURCE FOR NEW TALENT

                        SUBSCRIBE HERE :
                        CALL THE COMMENT LINE: 206-600-HALF (4253)
                        http//:www.thehalfshow.com

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 5, 2007
                          Already posted: they base it on number of subscribers in a fixed period (I
                          believe the last 24 or 48 hours).

                          --steve boyett

                          _____