Re: [podcasters] Writers' strike: As reruns take over television, eyes shift to new media

  • David Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2007
      It was 3 Dec 2007, when Larry Wanger commented:

      > http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1203/p01s01-ussc.htm
      >

      > As the Hollywood screenwriters' strike stretches into its fifth week,
      > viewers, networks, and content creators all look to alternative outlets
      > for fresh entertainment. Will they ever go back to mainstream media?
      >
      > By Gloria Goodale and Daniel B. Wood | Staff writers of The Christian
      > Science Monitor

      <snip>

      > The role of new media is at the heart of the strikers' demands, many
      > observers note.
      >
      > "It is quite ironic that the biggest beneficiary of the strike right now
      > is the very thing they're striking over," says Jen Grogono, cofounder and
      > chief content officer of ON Networks, an online video site based in
      > Austin, Texas.
      >
      > The strike has provided a window of opportunity for writers, a number of
      > whom have approached her, looking for more satisfying creative work than
      > writing quippy picket signs, she says. More than just another writing job,
      > the site offers people a new creative challenge, she says.
      >
      > "TV writers are accustomed to the tight restrictions of broadcast
      > writing," says Ms. Grogono, "but they can try all sorts of new things
      > online. There are no time or space restrictions here."

      Ya know, I'm kinda reminded of a few years ago, living in southeast
      Michigan, just outside of Detroit. When the whole two-Detroit-papers
      thing broke down, they created the Joint Operating Agreement (JOA). The
      two newspapers turned into one massive chain-owned paper, but pretending
      to still be two separate papers. (Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti MI went through
      something similar.)

      Then, when the writers found out how they were being screwed by the JOA,
      they went on strike again. And at the time, they created a web version of
      the Generic Detroit Paper. Forget what it was called at the time, but I
      did read it occasionally.

      Turned out it was usually better written than the usual Detroit Paper(s),
      which were (and are) rather bland. Some of it was quite excellent -- a
      bit ragged (the editors didn't go on strike, being Management, after all)
      but quirky and interesting.

      After the chain (Hearst?) crushed the union down there, the writers had to
      could actually write...

      --
      Grizzly's Growls -- The Life and Times of a Minor Local
      Celebrity