TalkShoe Echo?

  • jamitjames
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2007
      Hey all,

      Not sure if this is the right place to ask or not, but...

      Last night I did a panel for my podcast using TalkShoe. The idea of
      taking my podcast live is really exciting me. However, there was a
      small echo that certainly could cause problems for this great new future.

      Do any of you know why an echo was coming through and what I can do to
      stop it? I was using headphones and my callers were using the phone.

      Thanks,
      ~James Wadsworth

      Canuck Report: Canadian Soccer Podcast
      http://canuckreport.podcastspot.com/
    • jaffesalad
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 21, 2007
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "jamitjames" <goleafsgo_james@...>
        wrote:

        > Hey all,
        >
        > Not sure if this is the right place to ask or not, but...
        >
        > Last night I did a panel for my podcast using TalkShoe. The idea of
        > taking my podcast live is really exciting me. However, there was a
        > small echo that certainly could cause problems for this great new
        future.

        > Do any of you know why an echo was coming through and what I can do to
        > stop it? I was using headphones and my callers were using the phone.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > ~James Wadsworth
        >
        > Canuck Report: Canadian Soccer Podcast
        > http://canuckreport.podcastspot.com/

        You need to separate the streaming comp from the recording comp, and
        you will have several issues with the phones. If you use skype or a
        voip, I cannot tell you what to do, because we never successfully took
        a single digital call without echo being an issue. Currently, I am
        saving for an 800 dollar Phone to PC card to make everything buttery.

        If your echo happens regardless of phone calls, you need to isolate
        where the repeat is being "heard" by your set up. Start with your mic,
        then any cohost mics, then the phones, then, when you are sure these
        are all clear, proceed to the output for your computer. Do you have
        speakers that are playing the show back? Do the headphones play so
        loud the mic picks them back up?

        Once we separated the streaming comp and put in the dedicated
        recording comp, our echo issues were resolved. We still need one more
        comp, though, because when folks on our network want to record a
        podcast, we end up taking down the stream so we can have use of our board.

        None of that probably helps, but I hope you get it resolved. Doing
        your show Live is so very much cooler and neater and awesomer than
        stale audio... We do three hours live every Sunday 2-5pm, and then
        release the podcasts during the week on Mon, Wed, and Fri... Course,
        that means we do not do much, if any, news talk on Friday, cause by
        then the Media has talked those subjects to death. But it is nice to
        get the scoop on everybody Sunday!

        Working without a net makes you sharper, and a better broadcaster, in
        my opinion. Everyone should try it. Unless you have somebody on the
        show that coughs a lot...

        http://www.somacow.net
      • jamitjames
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 22, 2007
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "jaffesalad" <jaffesalad@...> wrote:
          >> You need to separate the streaming comp from the recording comp, and
          > you will have several issues with the phones. If you use skype or a
          > voip, I cannot tell you what to do, because we never successfully took
          > a single digital call without echo being an issue. Currently, I am
          > saving for an 800 dollar Phone to PC card to make everything buttery.
          >
          > If your echo happens regardless of phone calls, you need to isolate
          > where the repeat is being "heard" by your set up. Start with your mic,
          > then any cohost mics, then the phones, then, when you are sure these
          > are all clear, proceed to the output for your computer. Do you have
          > speakers that are playing the show back? Do the headphones play so
          > loud the mic picks them back up?
          >
          > Once we separated the streaming comp and put in the dedicated
          > recording comp, our echo issues were resolved. We still need one more
          > comp, though, because when folks on our network want to record a
          > podcast, we end up taking down the stream so we can have use of our
          board.

          > None of that probably helps, but I hope you get it resolved. Doing
          > your show Live is so very much cooler and neater and awesomer than
          > stale audio... We do three hours live every Sunday 2-5pm, and then
          > release the podcasts during the week on Mon, Wed, and Fri... Course,
          > that means we do not do much, if any, news talk on Friday, cause by
          > then the Media has talked those subjects to death. But it is nice to
          > get the scoop on everybody Sunday!
          >
          > Working without a net makes you sharper, and a better broadcaster, in
          > my opinion. Everyone should try it. Unless you have somebody on the
          > show that coughs a lot...
          >
          > http://www.somacow.net

          Thanks, I'll need to look into all the things you suggested. And I
          agree, live shows are much more interesting.