Re: [podcasters] Video Podcast Camera Recommendation

  • Martin McKeay
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2007
      I did q10 or 12 videos for Podtech using the Canon HD20, and I have to say
      that for the size and portability, it's hard to beat. The one thing I'd
      suggest is that you look at getting an external mic, not the official Canon
      hotshoe mic; I have that mic and had some problems with it picking up motor
      noise from the unit itself. Use a shotgun mic that plugs into the 1/8" jack
      for external mics, it works a lot better.

      If you look at the videos I did in August (
      http://www.mckeay.net/secure/2007/08/) you'll see that the video quality is
      very good, though I had some issues with sound. Mostly because I was in a
      number of very noisy situations which no sane person would be recording.
      The best example of a very noisy situation is an interview with Ivan Arce
      from Core Security (
      http://www.mckeay.net/secure/2007/08/black_hat_2007_ivan_arce_core.html)

      I'm not doing videopodcasts anymore since it was extremely time consuming
      and stressful for me. And Podtech decided to make a number of changes that
      didn't include myself and a number of other videopodcasters. Oh well.

      Martin

      PS The videos were edited using Final Cut Express HD. I tried iMovie twice
      and couldn't stomach it at all.
      --
      Martin McKeay, CISSP, GIAC:GSNA
      The Network Security Podcast