Re: [podcasters] New episodes not showing up in iTunes - RSS problem?

  • Andy Bilodeau
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2007
      On Oct 30, 2007, at 6:54 AM, mbritt1216 wrote:

      > I wonder if someone could give me a little help. I've had no problem
      > showing up in itunes until this week. My latest episode isn't showing
      > up. I went to feedvalidator.org and my feed validates, but I'm
      > getting this warning:
      >
      > Missing atom:link with rel="self"
      >
      > I've never seen this before. I followed their suggestions on how to
      > fix this, but it just creates more problems. Any suggestions on what
      > happened here?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Michael
      >
      > Psychology In Everyday Life
      > www.thepsychfiles.com
      > michael.britt@...

      Hi Michael,

      I found this by Goggling "ping itunes podcast".

      You can manually ping the iTunes servers using these commands taken
      directly from Apple.

      http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/podcaststechspecs.html

      Adding Episodes.

      Whenever you create a new podcast episode, you should add a new
      <item> section to your podcast feed. The iTunes directory will list
      the episode the next time it reads your feed. The order in which the
      episodes appear is based on the pubDate for each item, with the most
      recent episodes appearing at the top of the list.

      By default, the iTunes directory reads every feed once per day. The
      subscriber's iTunes client picks up new episodes based on the
      preferences set by the user.

      If you need to request that iTunes update information about your
      podcast immediately, you can ping the iTunes server in one of two
      ways: using an XML POST or by entering a URL in a browser.

      The XML POST should be addressed to https://phobos.apple.com/
      WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/pingPodcast and formatted as follows:

      <?xml version="1.0"?>
      <methodCall>
      <methodName>weblogUpdates.ping</methodName>
      <params>
      <param>
      <value>PODCAST_NAME</value>
      </param>
      <param>
      <value>http://FEEDURL/</value>
      </param>
      </params>
      </methodCall>

      where PODCAST_NAME is the title of the podcast, exactly as it appears
      in the <title> tag, and FEEDURL is your podcast feed URL.

      You can also ping the iTunes server to update your podcast
      information by entering the following URL into a browser:

      https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/pingPodcast?
      id=FEEDID

      where FEEDID is your iTunes podcast numeric ID. You can also use:

      https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/pingPodcast?
      feedURL=http://FEEDURL

      where FEEDURL is the url for your feed.

      Regardless of the ping method you use, iTunes will return an HTTP 200
      code.

      Good Luck!

      Andy Bilodeau
      http://andycast.net

    • Erk
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2007
        Apart from pinging iTunes, if you download your episodes onto your own
        iTunes so you can listen to them later, you can also select your podcast (or
        any others for that matter). Then right click and select "Update Podcast"
        and it will see if there are episodes to download.

        Also while on your screen of podcasts, you can select "Refresh" in the
        bottom right hand corner and it will update all your podcasts at the same
        time.

        Erk
        "Erk Pod - all Erk, all the time"
        Sydney, Australia
        http://www.erkpod.com.au

      • mbritt1216
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2007
          I figured it out. It wasn't an RSS problem after all - I had the
          wrong pubdate. Geez. Oh well..

          Thanks for the help anyway,

          Michael

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Erk <erksideways@...> wrote:

          > Apart from pinging iTunes, if you download your episodes onto your own
          > iTunes so you can listen to them later, you can also select your
          podcast (or
          > any others for that matter). Then right click and select "Update
          Podcast"
          > and it will see if there are episodes to download.
          >

          > Also while on your screen of podcasts, you can select "Refresh" in the
          > bottom right hand corner and it will update all your podcasts at the
          same
          > time.
          >

          > Erk
          > "Erk Pod - all Erk, all the time"
          > Sydney, Australia
          > http://www.erkpod.com.au

        • Kevin Colligan
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
            This Feed Validator site may or may not have helped
            you figure out your RSS problem, but it has saved my
            bacon a few times: http://feedvalidator.org/

            It's especially helpful for handcoders, like me. (One
            of these days I'll switch to WordPress, PodPress.)

            Thanks,
            Kevin

            Well Told Tales
            pulp-fiction podcast