RE: [podcasters] Re: Receive new releases, directly available for airplay

  • Steven R. Boyett
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 25, 2007
      Thank you very much! I'm actually relieved my fairly arrogant reaction got a
      positive response. I was in a crappy mood when I got that release and had
      this sorta "I'll show you" attitude. But as a DJ I get amateurishly written
      press releases from music labels all the time, and I'd be amused if it
      weren't so pathetic to see that they clearly don't understand how much this
      detracts from their credibility instead of spreading their message. I don't
      think it's a coincidence that the only band I ever featured based on a press
      release (Techno Squirrels) also had the most polished release I've received.

      I also think that one of the reasons Podrunner and Groovelectric have been
      able to stand out from a plethora of DJ mixes out there is because of my
      years, professional and otherwise, of writing larcenously exploitative promo
      copy. (Hell, in a certain sense fiction itself, which I've published a bunch
      of, can be viewed as larcenously exploitative promo copy.) Podcasters tend
      to focus on audio and video -- even to the extent that the written word is
      no longer automatically lumped in with the horribly balkanized word "media"
      -- but I think it's a mistake to disregard the persuasive value of the good
      writing, even if it is intended only as a way to lead someone to your
      podcast.

      Steve Boyett
      www.djsteveboy.com <http://www.djsteveboy.com/>
      Podcasts: "Groovelectric" / "Podrunner"