Weird static in Mic

  • cianmacmahon
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2007
      Hey there all you people.

      Just bought a second hand mic from somebody who i know and trust, and
      have heard things he has recorded on it. Nothing was wrong with it.
      (this was, by the way, the mic which i handed around at the PNME for
      people to sign. Some of you may remember me asking you to sign it...
      If you did, THANKS!)

      I then recorded a lecture on it, nothing was wrong. Everything went rosy.

      Then, after the lecture, I decided to record an episode of VFTQ.

      DISASTER STRIKES!

      I am now getting this strange static through the mic.

      http://viewfromthequad.com/files/Audio/d.mp3

      (I say "Tee" at the start, because as a friend of Sir Tee Morris, my
      first inclination when i get anything as strange as this is
      "AAARRRGHHH" closely followed by "Tee will know how to fix this.")

      He didn't.

      Any ideas?

      Great to see you all at PNME, by the way.
    • Steven R. Boyett
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2007
        Can you give some specs? What's the mic, what are you recording onto, etc.?

        --steve boyett

        _____

        http://viewfromtheq <http://viewfromthequad.com/files/Audio/d.mp3>

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2007
          What I hear sounds like wind on the screen. I don't hear line hum or cable
          interference, just loud ambience. Was the mic cable moving?

          --steve boyett

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2007
            Nope. Thats the weird thing. It sounds EXACTLY like i am in a large
            field on a windy day.
            ITs a MXL 990, Which was working perfectly a day or two ago. It is
            using the same cable, and plugged into the same alesis io|2. And i am
            recording in a room which i KNOW is quiet. (I also did a few mic
            tests with a m-audio Nova plugged into the same XLR port with the
            same cable, and it sounded perfect)

            Thanks.
            Cian Mac Mahon
            Professional Teenage Podcaster
            Available for voice work, consulting
            www.stuffslashersaw.com
            www.viewfromthequad.com

          • Michael W. Dean
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2007
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Cian Mac Mahon <cianmm@...> wrote:

              > Nope. Thats the weird thing. It sounds EXACTLY like i am in a large
              > field on a windy day.
              > ITs a MXL 990, Which was working perfectly a day or two ago. It is
              > using the same cable, and plugged into the same alesis io|2. And i am
              > recording in a room which i KNOW is quiet. (I also did a few mic
              > tests with a m-audio Nova plugged into the same XLR port with the
              > same cable, and it sounded perfect)
              >
              > Thanks.

              =====
              Is it an older mic? It may have simply failed.

              Marshall now owns their MXL mic factory in China where they make their
              lower end mics, and have people from the California office over there
              managing and overseeing the place, and the mics rock.

              A couple years ago, they were relying on the folks over there running
              the factory, who had never manufactured mics before, and the quality
              control wasn't as good.

              Is the Mic still under warranty? You're in Australia, right?

              MWD
            • Steven R. Boyett
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 8, 2007
                Okay, I admit I'm stumped.

                --steve boyett

                _____

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 8, 2007
                  Yea, its a bit of a weird one, alright. I always thought that mics
                  sort of get slowly worse and worse before just popping into the land
                  of static which is JUST to loud instead of just dieing all of a sudden.