Re: [podcasters] Off Center

  • andrew clarke
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
      On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 07:25:28PM -0400, carrycroghan@... wrote:

      > When I record myself, I am off-center (my politics are far left but I
      > did not think Audacity would pick up on it). I do 'normalize' to try to
      > get myself in the middle but it takes away some of the warmth of the
      > voice.

      It may be that your mic or mic preamp isn't working properly
      electronically, causing a high DC offset.

      In Audacity you try Effect -> Normalize and tick the box that says
      "Remove any DC offset".

      From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_offset :

      "DC offset is an offsetting of a signal from zero. The term originated
      in electronics, where it refers to a direct current voltage, but the
      concept has been extended to any representation of a waveform. DC offset
      is the mean amplitude of the waveform; if the mean amplitude is zero,
      there is no DC offset.

      DC offset is usually undesirable. For example, in audio processing, a
      sound that has DC offset will not be at its loudest possible volume when
      normalized (because the offset consumes headroom), and this problem can
      possibly extend to the mix as a whole, since a sound with DC offset and
      a sound without DC offset will have DC offset when mixed. It may also
      cause other artifacts depending on what is being done with the signal."

      Regards
      Andrew