Podcast News: GlobalTV

  • Ross Wm. Rader
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 12, 2005
      Folks,

      I was interviewed by GlobalTV this past week about podcasting. The
      interview aired last night (roughly 3 minutes) and while I don't have a
      video link for you, I did inadvertently weave the interview into my podast.

      I was doing a mobile podcast last night on the way home from work,
      testing out some new gear, and when I walked in the front door of Casa
      Disco, Amanda excitedly pointed out that the interview had just aired -
      so I left the recording going while I played the interview back on my PVR.

      I'm going to try and create a higher fidelity version of the recording
      later today, but in the meantime, you can pick it up in Random Bytes,
      Show #25 @ http://www.byte.org/Syndicasts/Shows/index.xml or
      http://www.byte.org/blog/_archives/2005/3/12/424593.html

      I'd also love any feedback you might want to pass on regarding Show #25
      itself!

      --
      Regards,

      -rwr

      "In the modern world the intelligence of public opinion is the one
      indispensable condition for social progress."
      - Charles W. Eliot (1834 - 1926)
    • Ross Wm. Rader

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 12, 2005
          Ross Wm. Rader wrote:
          > Folks,
          >
          > I was interviewed by GlobalTV this past week about podcasting. The
          > interview aired last night (roughly 3 minutes) and while I don't have a
          > video link for you, I did inadvertently weave the interview into my podast.

          John Piercy was kind enough to forward me an AVI of the segment. I've
          uploaded it here as an attachment to this post:
          http://www.byte.org/blog/_archives/2005/3/12/427833.html or you can grab
          the RSS enclosure from here: http://www.byte.org/Syndicasts/index.xml

          Cheers!

          --

          -rwr

          Contact info: http://www.blogware.com/profiles/ross
          Skydasher: A great way to start your day
          My weblog: http://www.byte.org
        • Patrick Cook
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 13, 2005
            Hi everyone:

            At 07:13 AM 3/12/2005, you wrote:
            >Folks,
            >
            >I was interviewed by GlobalTV this past week about podcasting. The
            >interview aired last night (roughly 3 minutes) and while I don't have a
            >video link for you, I did inadvertently weave the interview into my podast.

            Congrats Ross. :)

            >I was doing a mobile podcast last night on the way home from work,
            >testing out some new gear, and when I walked in the front door of Casa
            >Disco, Amanda excitedly pointed out that the interview had just aired -
            >so I left the recording going while I played the interview back on my PVR.
            >
            >I'm going to try and create a higher fidelity version of the recording
            >later today, but in the meantime, you can pick it up in Random Bytes,
            >Show #25 @
            ><http://www.byte.org/Syndicasts/Shows/index.xml>http://www.byte.org/Syndicasts/Shows/index.xml
            >or
            ><http://www.byte.org/blog/_archives/2005/3/12/424593.html>http://www.byte.org/blog/_archives/2005/3/12/424593.html
            >
            >I'd also love any feedback you might want to pass on regarding Show #25
            >itself!

            One word - VLOG (as in Video Blog). That's what it would be considered. :)

            Anyhow....On a somewhat related note, I too went mobile podcasting as I
            tested my new Digital Voice Recorder yesterday (Friday 3/11). It's an
            Olympus VN-240 PC that cost me $75 (with tax) at Radio Shack. Suffice to
            say, the initial results are mixed. While I was able to achieve the
            ultimate goal of the podcast, which was to demonstrate the portability of
            podcasting, the audio was basically telephone quality. Note to self - Use
            external mic & HQ setting on DVR, but still keep mic in HIGH position (at
            least for now). :)

            I did this as I made my way to the Dr's office and back. I even podcasted
            while waiting at a bus stop at a busy intersection. Topics ranged from
            Ward Churchill to Michael Jackson to Adam Curry's DSC of March 9th, which I
            copied and pasted an excerpt of (which also totally sucked dude! I'm
            sorry, but I had to pan it as it was definately not one your better
            podcasts :) *LOL!* ).

            And it was all done either while on the bus or at the bus stop.

            The podcast was so long (especially the 2nd part) was so long, my right
            hand turned into a callis (sp?) and had to either contemplate putting a
            wrapper on it or switching hands. I chose the latter. :)

            Right now the podcast is stuck in the approval process on the archive
            (which seems to be running awfully SLOW on approvals lately :( ), so it'll
            be posted (along with the others I have waiting) so you can get access to
            it sometime this week (I hope - My video is been stuck in the same process
            for the last TWO weeks :( ).

            Cheers for now :)

            Patrick Cook
            pchamster@...
            kpdcnettv@...
            Denver, Colorado
            http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog.html
            http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/
            TEXT RSS Feed - http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/rss.xml
            PODCAST RSS Feed -
            http://jeeperone.tripod.com/blog/podcasts/patspodcast/rss.xml
            The Pat Cook Show Podcast Edition -
            http://jeeperone.tripod.com/blog/podcasts/patcookshow/rss.xml (NEW PODCAST!!)

          • Ryan Ozawa
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 13, 2005
              > Anyhow....On a somewhat related note, I too went mobile podcasting
              > as I tested my new Digital Voice Recorder yesterday (Friday 3/11).
              > It's an Olympus VN-240 PC that cost me $75 (with tax) at Radio
              > Shack. Suffice to say, the initial results are mixed.

              Thanks for sharing your experience with the VN-240. I'd love to hear
              more about folks' portable recording setups. I know Archos (and
              other) MP3 players with line/mic in are quite popular... are these
              voice recorders a dead end?

              I use an Olympus DM-10, the same one TheCommute.org uses, which I
              already had for work. One thing I love about it, apart from the
              mountable USB volume and the portability, of course, is the stereo
              recording -- with a stereo mic.

              I remember an earlier comment that recording voice in stereo is a
              waste, and from what I've seen it can also cause some weird artifacts
              after encoding (sounds like I'm on a space ship). But I also like how
              it adds a little "depth" to the recording, like you hear more of the
              _place_, not just the person.

              It came with a little 'T' mic, but that's quite susceptible to wind
              noise. I'm thinking of taking it out with my Sony ECM-MS907, another
              cheapie but also stereo and with better sound than the 'T' -- but then
              the rig isn't quite as portable. When I hear of some podcasters going
              out with this MP3 player, that mic, even a tiny mixer, I start to
              wonder how unwieldly that must be...

              Anyway, if others are "out and about" podcasting, do tell. I'm
              getting to the point where it's more fun to record stuff away from the
              desk...

              --
              Ryan
              HawaiiUP.com - Podcasting in paradise.

            • Vince Callaway
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 13, 2005
                I have two mics I've used with good results.

                One is from reactivesounds.com It is the one they call the reporter mic.
                works amazingly well.

                The other is just a basic telephone headset. I have an adapter cord for
                plugging into a computer that gives me 1/8 in. plugs. Both setups work fine
                with the mindisc. The iRiver, olympus and similar will use the same mics.

                Biggest problem I have run into is the reporter mic is too sensitive. I pick
                up more background noise when doing interviews than I want.

                TotalSense.com
                Radio, may it rest in peace.

                http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
              • Zaldor
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 13, 2005
                  Hey guys - I've done my first 2.5 podcasts on just the Olympus
                  VN-240PC - I love it. My first go at it wasn't the greatest, but
                  since I've been using a more unidirectional mic on it, the voice
                  quality has been great. I mostly use it for recording my podcasts
                  while in the car, so the car noise is present - but not very bad.

                  I'm probably looking at getting the mic setup like what Vince
                  describes, I'd love to have a smaller mic. The one I bought is the
                  size of a regular mic - bought it at MediaPlay for $25.

                  Let me know what you think - I'll probably continue using the
                  VN-240PC, but will start recording from my desk soon too...

                  -Les (Zaldor)

                  http://www.zaldor.com
                  http://zaldor.libsyn.com/rss (subscribe)

                  On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:02:43 -0800 (PST), Vince Callaway
                  <v_callaway@...> wrote:
                  > I have two mics I've used with good results.
                  >
                  > One is from reactivesounds.com It is the one they call the reporter mic.
                  > works amazingly well.
                  >
                  > The other is just a basic telephone headset. I have an adapter cord for
                  > plugging into a computer that gives me 1/8 in. plugs. Both setups work
                  > fine
                  > with the mindisc. The iRiver, olympus and similar will use the same mics.
                  >
                  > Biggest problem I have run into is the reporter mic is too sensitive. I
                  > pick
                  > up more background noise when doing interviews than I want.
                  >

                  > TotalSense.com
                  > Radio, may it rest in peace.

                  > http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Craig Patchett
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 15, 2005
                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Zaldor <zaldor@g...> wrote:

                    > Hey guys - I've done my first 2.5 podcasts on just the Olympus
                    > VN-240PC - I love it. My first go at it wasn't the greatest, but
                    > since I've been using a more unidirectional mic on it, the voice
                    > quality has been great. I mostly use it for recording my podcasts
                    > while in the car, so the car noise is present - but not very bad.

                    Have you considered using a noise-canceling headset mic? I use a Plantronics .audio 20
                    (about $20) with my iRiver in the car and the quality is great...it doesn't remove all
                    background noise but I'd say it gets rid of 90% of it.

                    Craig

                    *******************

                    Craig Patchett
                    The GodCast Network

                    "Behind the Scenes", the podcast for podcasters: http://www.btscast.com
                  • Timothy Phillips
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 6, 2008
                      Hi all. I am thinking about getting myself a digital voice recorded
                      for Christmas. Sound quality is tops on my list. Do any of you have
                      any Rants or Raves about current models on the market, please?
                    • Martin McKeay
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 6, 2008
                        First, what's you're definition of 'digital voice recorder'? If you're
                        talking about one of those little things they sell business men to record
                        their memos on, my only hint is 'don't bother'.

                        If you're hoping to get something worth recording a podcast on, you can't
                        been the Zoom H2 and H4 for the money. I've had an H4 for about 2 years,
                        and I love it. The real kicker is the ability to plug in any mic and make
                        multitrack recordings. I keep mine with me where ever I travel, just in
                        case. I've recorded a couple dozen interviews with it and never regretted
                        it. If you do a little research on the list you'll find many other people
                        who feel the same way.

                        The H2 is a little smaller, looks a lot less like a tazer and is missing the
                        mic inputs. But it's every bit as good as the H4 otherwise.

                        I also like my little iRiver 795 and Giant Squid mic, but good luck getting
                        those anymore.

                        Martin

                        Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA, QSA
                        Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
                        and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
                        Email: martin@...
                        YIM: mmckeay@...
                        TwitterID: mckeay
                        (W) 707-495-7926

                        On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Timothy Phillips <PhillipsHQ@...>wrote:

                        > Hi all. I am thinking about getting myself a digital voice recorded
                        > for Christmas. Sound quality is tops on my list. Do any of you have
                        > any Rants or Raves about current models on the market, please?

                      • David Smith
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 6, 2008
                          It was 6 Dec 2008, when Timothy Phillips commented:

                          > Hi all. I am thinking about getting myself a digital voice recorded
                          > for Christmas. Sound quality is tops on my list. Do any of you have
                          > any Rants or Raves about current models on the market, please?

                          I use my Samson Zoom H2 Handy Recorder for all my podcasts. Handy (of
                          course), portable, lots of capabilities, more storage than you'll know
                          what to do with, very good sound quality IMHO. I think they're on sale
                          now for $170 or so. Worth the money. (Mine was a Christmas gift.)

                          --

                          Grizzly's Growls Podcast & Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
                          <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 6, 2008
                            I've got a H4 and I love it. I used it for the vast majority of
                            NaPodPoMo and it was good for recording at home, in the car and out
                            and about. Add it with a mic or two and it is super.

                            --
                            Erk

                            Erk Pod: all Erk, all the time ..... and then some!
                            Sydney, Australia
                            http://www.erkpod.com.au
                          • Richard Amirault
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 7, 2008
                              From: "Martin McKeay"
                              (snip)
                              > The H2 is a little smaller, looks a lot less like a tazer and is missing
                              > the
                              > mic inputs. But it's every bit as good as the H4 otherwise.
                              (snip)

                              That is mis-leading. The H2 does have external mic imputs .. just not XLR.

                              Richard Amirault
                              Boston, MA, USA
                              http://n1jdu.org
                              http://bostonfandom.org
                            • Martin McKeay
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 7, 2008
                                I sit corrected, and XLR to 1/8" adapter cables can be found, you just won't
                                be able to power any mics that require phantom power, which the H4 does do.
                                I use a Shure PG58 with my H4 and have gotten excellent sound out of the
                                combination, which should work with the proper cable and the H2. I tend to
                                record interviews in fairly crowded, noisy places like convention halls, so
                                a mic that's very proximity sensitive is important to me. The built in mics
                                on the H4 pick up way too much background noise for my usage.

                                On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 7:26 AM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

> [...]
                              • Noble Acuff
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 7, 2008
                                  Here's another vote for the Zoom H2. I've had it for about a year now
                                  and it's a great solution for portable recording, especially if you
                                  just need something to throw in your laptop bag "just in case." I
                                  didn't need XLR inputs on the recorder (I've got a mixing board, USB
                                  interface, etc. for that) and just wanted something portable with good
                                  sound quality.

                                  The H2 is also a good option if you want to capture a backup recording
                                  off a mixing board. I use mine as a backup device when I'm recording
                                  into my Mac. I just patch the H2 into an output from the mixing board,
                                  and if something happens to the file on the computer I've got a high
                                  quality backup.

                                  Noble Acuff

                                  My blog: http://nobleacuff.com
                                  LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/nobleacuff