Re: [podcasters] Off Center

  • Flyswatter
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
      I just thought of something else which I hadn't tried. It may be a bad
      connector on your mixer, if you use a mixer.

      On 10/5/07, Flyswatter <luara.mom@...> wrote:

      > You know, this exact thing happened to me the last time I recorded Coffee
      > and Tea Show--the mic recorded off center for a while (the wave pattern
      > actually reached down further than it went up) and I couldn't do anything
      > about it, then all of a sudden it sort of settled down and recorded more
      > equally. Then the next day when I tried to record Rockypod, there was a low
      > hum. I think my mic is going bad, which makes me mad since I only bought it
      > in January and I have been really careful with it (It's an MXL 990
      > compressor mic and wasn't that expensive, but I can't keep buying new mics
      > all the time even at that price! Luckily I earlier bought a couple of used
      > mics from Amber and Rusty at GA Podcast network or I would have really been
      > in trouble.)
      >
      > Long story short, your mic may be going bad.
      >

      > On 10/4/07, carrycroghan@... < carrycroghan@...>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > When I record myself, I am off-center (my politics are far left but I
      > > did not think Audacity would pick up on it). I do 'normalize' to try to get
      > > myself in the middle but it takes away some of the warmth of the voice.
      > >
      > > I did not have this problem with the old machine. Mic has not changed;
      > > room has not changed; I am in constance flux but then that is life.
      > >
      > > Is there an option I forgot to choose? I want a mono recording (just me
      > > talking why waste the bandwidth). That is what I am getting. Just slightly
      > > off-center.
      > >
      > > TIA.
      > >
      > > Carry.
      > > KnitWit: Rantings of a Rabid Knitter - a storytelling podcast with
      > > occasional knit bits.
      > > http://autumnbreezedesigns.com/blog/

      Laura Ross

      The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
      http://coffeeandteashow.com
      Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
      coffeeandteashow@...

      Rocky Horror Pod Show
      http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
      Listener hotline: 206-350-0972 (note NEWER new number!)
      rockypod@...

    • carrycroghan
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
        Ok, more information. How I know I am off center is visually.
        Looking at the picture that Audacity produces my recording is not
        aligned with the zero. It is below the mark by .25.

        As to the normalizing. In Audacity, the normalize by Dominic Mazzoni
        has two check boxes 1) Remove any DC offset (center on 0 vertically)
        and 2) Normalize maximum amplitude to -3 dB.

        I use the first option and it seems to get me back to 0 (center).

        I don't use a mixer. Very low tech just computer, microphone (Sony
        ECM-MS907?), and me. I don't think it is the mic. On the old
        machine, I am right 0.

        As to getting an new machine with XP. I bought directly from Compaq
        on-line. There was a model I liked noticed another with same product
        code but for the addition of X to the end. Turned out to be same
        machine with different XP instead of Vista. Bought it.

        I am thinking there is another option or setting in Audacity I forgot
        to set.

        Carry.
        KnitWit: Rantings of a Rabid Knitter - a storytelling podcast with
        occasional knit bits.
        http://autumnbreezedesigns.com/blog/
      • Rich
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
          On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 12:25 +0000, carrycroghan wrote:

          Whether or not you're touching zero has nothing to do with left/right
          spacing in a stereo mix. It's a measurement of volume.

          Normalize to -3 dB, and then raise your volume by 3 dB, and you'll be
          at digital zero.

          It sounds to me like you're doing fine.

          Me...

          > Ok, more information. How I know I am off center is visually.
          > Looking at the picture that Audacity produces my recording is not
          > aligned with the zero. It is below the mark by .25.
          >
          > As to the normalizing. In Audacity, the normalize by Dominic Mazzoni
          > has two check boxes 1) Remove any DC offset (center on 0 vertically)
          > and 2) Normalize maximum amplitude to -3 dB.
          >
          > I use the first option and it seems to get me back to 0 (center).
          >
          > I don't use a mixer. Very low tech just computer, microphone (Sony
          > ECM-MS907?), and me. I don't think it is the mic. On the old
          > machine, I am right 0.
          >
          > As to getting an new machine with XP. I bought directly from Compaq
          > on-line. There was a model I liked noticed another with same product
          > code but for the addition of X to the end. Turned out to be same
          > machine with different XP instead of Vista. Bought it.
          >
          > I am thinking there is another option or setting in Audacity I forgot
          > to set.
          >
          > Carry.
          > KnitWit: Rantings of a Rabid Knitter - a storytelling podcast with
          > occasional knit bits.
          > http://autumnbreezedesigns.com/blog/

        • Nobilis
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
            On 10/5/07, Rich <wielgosz@...> wrote:
            > On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 12:25 +0000, carrycroghan wrote:
            >
            > Whether or not you're touching zero has nothing to do with left/right
            > spacing in a stereo mix. It's a measurement of volume.

            He wasn't worried about left/right space. That was misspoken.

            He was seeing the Audacity waveform off of the zero mark, which will
            limit the dynamic range available.

            -----
            Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4
          • andrew clarke
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
              On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 07:25:28PM -0400, carrycroghan@... wrote:

              > When I record myself, I am off-center (my politics are far left but I
              > did not think Audacity would pick up on it). I do 'normalize' to try to
              > get myself in the middle but it takes away some of the warmth of the
              > voice.

              It may be that your mic or mic preamp isn't working properly
              electronically, causing a high DC offset.

              In Audacity you try Effect -> Normalize and tick the box that says
              "Remove any DC offset".

              From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_offset :

              "DC offset is an offsetting of a signal from zero. The term originated
              in electronics, where it refers to a direct current voltage, but the
              concept has been extended to any representation of a waveform. DC offset
              is the mean amplitude of the waveform; if the mean amplitude is zero,
              there is no DC offset.

              DC offset is usually undesirable. For example, in audio processing, a
              sound that has DC offset will not be at its loudest possible volume when
              normalized (because the offset consumes headroom), and this problem can
              possibly extend to the mix as a whole, since a sound with DC offset and
              a sound without DC offset will have DC offset when mixed. It may also
              cause other artifacts depending on what is being done with the signal."

              Regards
              Andrew