Re: [podcasters] Off Center

  • Flyswatter
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
      You know, this exact thing happened to me the last time I recorded Coffee
      and Tea Show--the mic recorded off center for a while (the wave pattern
      actually reached down further than it went up) and I couldn't do anything
      about it, then all of a sudden it sort of settled down and recorded more
      equally. Then the next day when I tried to record Rockypod, there was a low
      hum. I think my mic is going bad, which makes me mad since I only bought it
      in January and I have been really careful with it (It's an MXL 990
      compressor mic and wasn't that expensive, but I can't keep buying new mics
      all the time even at that price! Luckily I earlier bought a couple of used
      mics from Amber and Rusty at GA Podcast network or I would have really been
      in trouble.)

      Long story short, your mic may be going bad.

      On 10/4/07, carrycroghan@... <carrycroghan@...> wrote:

      > When I record myself, I am off-center (my politics are far left but I did
      > not think Audacity would pick up on it). I do 'normalize' to try to get
      > myself in the middle but it takes away some of the warmth of the voice.
      >
      > I did not have this problem with the old machine. Mic has not changed;
      > room has not changed; I am in constance flux but then that is life.
      >
      > Is there an option I forgot to choose? I want a mono recording (just me
      > talking why waste the bandwidth). That is what I am getting. Just slightly
      > off-center.
      >
      > TIA.
      >
      > Carry.
      > KnitWit: Rantings of a Rabid Knitter - a storytelling podcast with
      > occasional knit bits.
      > http://autumnbreezedesigns.com/blog/
      >
      > Messages in this topic
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcasters/message/33062;_ylc=X3oDMTM3Ym8zbmEwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzNjQ4MTA1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNDcyNgRtc2dJZAMzMzA2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzExOTE1NDAzMzAEdHBjSWQDMzMwNjI->(
      > 1) Reply (via web post)
      > a new topic
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcasters/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNW9qZmlrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzNjQ4MTA1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNDcyNgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzExOTE1NDAzMzA->
      > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest<podcasters-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email+Delivery:+Digest>| Switch
      > format to Traditional<podcasters-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>
      > Visit Your Group
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcasters;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZWhlMzluBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzNjQ4MTA1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNDcyNgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3RpbWUDMTE5MTU0MDMzMA-->| Yahoo!

      Laura Ross

      The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
      http://coffeeandteashow.com
      Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
      coffeeandteashow@...

      Rocky Horror Pod Show
      http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
      Listener hotline: 206-350-0972 (note NEWER new number!)
      rockypod@...

    • Flyswatter
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
        I just thought of something else which I hadn't tried. It may be a bad
        connector on your mixer, if you use a mixer.

        On 10/5/07, Flyswatter <luara.mom@...> wrote:

        > You know, this exact thing happened to me the last time I recorded Coffee
        > and Tea Show--the mic recorded off center for a while (the wave pattern
        > actually reached down further than it went up) and I couldn't do anything
        > about it, then all of a sudden it sort of settled down and recorded more
        > equally. Then the next day when I tried to record Rockypod, there was a low
        > hum. I think my mic is going bad, which makes me mad since I only bought it
        > in January and I have been really careful with it (It's an MXL 990
        > compressor mic and wasn't that expensive, but I can't keep buying new mics
        > all the time even at that price! Luckily I earlier bought a couple of used
        > mics from Amber and Rusty at GA Podcast network or I would have really been
        > in trouble.)
        >
        > Long story short, your mic may be going bad.
        >

        > On 10/4/07, carrycroghan@... < carrycroghan@...>
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > When I record myself, I am off-center (my politics are far left but I
        > > did not think Audacity would pick up on it). I do 'normalize' to try to get
        > > myself in the middle but it takes away some of the warmth of the voice.
        > >
        > > I did not have this problem with the old machine. Mic has not changed;
        > > room has not changed; I am in constance flux but then that is life.
        > >
        > > Is there an option I forgot to choose? I want a mono recording (just me
        > > talking why waste the bandwidth). That is what I am getting. Just slightly
        > > off-center.
        > >
        > > TIA.
        > >
        > > Carry.
        > > KnitWit: Rantings of a Rabid Knitter - a storytelling podcast with
        > > occasional knit bits.
        > > http://autumnbreezedesigns.com/blog/

        Laura Ross

        The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
        http://coffeeandteashow.com
        Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
        coffeeandteashow@...

        Rocky Horror Pod Show
        http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
        Listener hotline: 206-350-0972 (note NEWER new number!)
        rockypod@...

      • carrycroghan
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
          Ok, more information. How I know I am off center is visually.
          Looking at the picture that Audacity produces my recording is not
          aligned with the zero. It is below the mark by .25.

          As to the normalizing. In Audacity, the normalize by Dominic Mazzoni
          has two check boxes 1) Remove any DC offset (center on 0 vertically)
          and 2) Normalize maximum amplitude to -3 dB.

          I use the first option and it seems to get me back to 0 (center).

          I don't use a mixer. Very low tech just computer, microphone (Sony
          ECM-MS907?), and me. I don't think it is the mic. On the old
          machine, I am right 0.

          As to getting an new machine with XP. I bought directly from Compaq
          on-line. There was a model I liked noticed another with same product
          code but for the addition of X to the end. Turned out to be same
          machine with different XP instead of Vista. Bought it.

          I am thinking there is another option or setting in Audacity I forgot
          to set.

          Carry.
          KnitWit: Rantings of a Rabid Knitter - a storytelling podcast with
          occasional knit bits.
          http://autumnbreezedesigns.com/blog/
        • Rich
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
            On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 12:25 +0000, carrycroghan wrote:

            Whether or not you're touching zero has nothing to do with left/right
            spacing in a stereo mix. It's a measurement of volume.

            Normalize to -3 dB, and then raise your volume by 3 dB, and you'll be
            at digital zero.

            It sounds to me like you're doing fine.

            Me...

            > Ok, more information. How I know I am off center is visually.
            > Looking at the picture that Audacity produces my recording is not
            > aligned with the zero. It is below the mark by .25.
            >
            > As to the normalizing. In Audacity, the normalize by Dominic Mazzoni
            > has two check boxes 1) Remove any DC offset (center on 0 vertically)
            > and 2) Normalize maximum amplitude to -3 dB.
            >
            > I use the first option and it seems to get me back to 0 (center).
            >
            > I don't use a mixer. Very low tech just computer, microphone (Sony
            > ECM-MS907?), and me. I don't think it is the mic. On the old
            > machine, I am right 0.
            >
            > As to getting an new machine with XP. I bought directly from Compaq
            > on-line. There was a model I liked noticed another with same product
            > code but for the addition of X to the end. Turned out to be same
            > machine with different XP instead of Vista. Bought it.
            >
            > I am thinking there is another option or setting in Audacity I forgot
            > to set.
            >
            > Carry.
            > KnitWit: Rantings of a Rabid Knitter - a storytelling podcast with
            > occasional knit bits.
            > http://autumnbreezedesigns.com/blog/

          • Nobilis
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
              On 10/5/07, Rich <wielgosz@...> wrote:
              > On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 12:25 +0000, carrycroghan wrote:
              >
              > Whether or not you're touching zero has nothing to do with left/right
              > spacing in a stereo mix. It's a measurement of volume.

              He wasn't worried about left/right space. That was misspoken.

              He was seeing the Audacity waveform off of the zero mark, which will
              limit the dynamic range available.

              -----
              Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4
            • andrew clarke
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
                On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 07:25:28PM -0400, carrycroghan@... wrote:

                > When I record myself, I am off-center (my politics are far left but I
                > did not think Audacity would pick up on it). I do 'normalize' to try to
                > get myself in the middle but it takes away some of the warmth of the
                > voice.

                It may be that your mic or mic preamp isn't working properly
                electronically, causing a high DC offset.

                In Audacity you try Effect -> Normalize and tick the box that says
                "Remove any DC offset".

                From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_offset :

                "DC offset is an offsetting of a signal from zero. The term originated
                in electronics, where it refers to a direct current voltage, but the
                concept has been extended to any representation of a waveform. DC offset
                is the mean amplitude of the waveform; if the mean amplitude is zero,
                there is no DC offset.

                DC offset is usually undesirable. For example, in audio processing, a
                sound that has DC offset will not be at its loudest possible volume when
                normalized (because the offset consumes headroom), and this problem can
                possibly extend to the mix as a whole, since a sound with DC offset and
                a sound without DC offset will have DC offset when mixed. It may also
                cause other artifacts depending on what is being done with the signal."

                Regards
                Andrew