Re: Off Center

  • Michael W. Dean
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, carrycroghan@... wrote:

      > The operating system is XP (it was hard but I found a new machine
      with XP on it)....

      May I ask where? I was wondering if that were possible, and would love
      to know. I hate Vista.

      MWD
      "Clone The Homeless"
      Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
      was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
      http://www.clonethehomeless.com
    • Paul Puri
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
        On 10/4/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

        > May I ask where? I was wondering if that were possible, and would love
        > to know. I hate Vista.

        Michael,

        If you currently have an XP disc with a key, you can install it on whatever
        computer you purchase now. Just have to get the drivers. Otherwise, you can
        buy XP for around $100 to $140.

        Paul Puri

        New media with an independent spirit:
        http://puripodcastproductions.com

        My gear recommendations:
        http://podsafegear.com

        Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
        http://twitter.com/paulpuri

        Promotion without shame.
        Podcasting Announcements

      • Michael W. Dean
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Puri" <paulpuri@...> wrote:

          > On 10/4/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > May I ask where? I was wondering if that were possible, and would love
          > > to know. I hate Vista.
          >

          > Michael,
          >
          > If you currently have an XP disc with a key, you can install it on
          whatever
          > computer you purchase now. Just have to get the drivers. Otherwise,
          you can
          > buy XP for around $100 to $140.
          >

          > Paul Puri

          ===-
          Thank you.

          I have a Toshiba Satellite with an OEM version of XP. Will that work
          on any pooter, or does it have to be a Toshiba Satellite, or does it
          have to be THIS Toshiba Satellite?

          I plan to upgrade in the next few months, and really don't want to pay
          for Vista, then delete it (They do include the charge for the OS in
          the price of a new pooter.)

          I'll have to research this. (Off to GOOGLE! I go.....Yes! GOOGLE!!)

          MWD
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
            Usually if it is oem for one computer brand it will ONLY work with that
            brand. MY only complaint with Vista is with the software and hardware
            vendors that have known for CLOSE TO TWO YEARS that this os was coming and
            they have done NOTHING to be ready for it.

            Just my .02

            Michael �tempus� Ringer

            HYPERLINK "http://tempustemper.podomatic.com/"

            _____

            > > May I ask where? I was wondering if that were possible, and would love
            > > to know. I hate Vista.
            >

            > Michael,
            >
            > If you currently have an XP disc with a key, you can install it on
            whatever
            > computer you purchase now. Just have to get the drivers. Otherwise,
            you can
            > buy XP for around $100 to $140.
            >

            > Paul Puri

            ===-
            Thank you.

            I have a Toshiba Satellite with an OEM version of XP. Will that work
            on any pooter, or does it have to be a Toshiba Satellite, or does it
            have to be THIS Toshiba Satellite?

            I plan to upgrade in the next few months, and really don't want to pay
            for Vista, then delete it (They do include the charge for the OS in
            the price of a new pooter.)

            I'll have to research this. (Off to GOOGLE! I go.....Yes! GOOGLE!!)

            MWD

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            8:59 AM

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            8:59 AM

          • J Wynia
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
              XP Home OEM is only $90:
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056

              Paul Puri wrote:

              > On 10/4/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...
              > <mailto:kittyfeet70%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
              > >

              > > May I ask where? I was wondering if that were possible, and would love
              > > to know. I hate Vista.
              >
              > Michael,
              >
              > If you currently have an XP disc with a key, you can install it on
              > whatever
              > computer you purchase now. Just have to get the drivers. Otherwise,
              > you can
              > buy XP for around $100 to $140.
              >
              > Paul Puri
              >
              > New media with an independent spirit:
              > http://puripodcastproductions.com <http://puripodcastproductions.com>
              >
              > My gear recommendations:
              > http://podsafegear.com <http://podsafegear.com>
              >
              > Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
              > http://twitter.com/paulpuri <http://twitter.com/paulpuri>
              >
              > The Official Podcasters Wiki: http://podcasterswiki.com
              > <http://podcasterswiki.com>
              >
              > Promotion without shame.
              > Podcasting Announcements

            • Paul Puri
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
                On 10/4/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

                > I have a Toshiba Satellite with an OEM version of XP. Will that work
                > on any pooter, or does it have to be a Toshiba Satellite, or does it
                > have to be THIS Toshiba Satellite?

                Normally, the disc goes along with the brand of the computer, as it may be a
                restore disc that installs it to factory specs.

                I plan to upgrade in the next few months, and really don't want to pay
                > for Vista, then delete it (They do include the charge for the OS in
                > the price of a new pooter.)

                The price you are paying for Vista is negligible. As you do not get an
                original disc with the computer. Just make a restore disc, and if you decide
                to go back to Vista, you have a way to do it. You can a nice computer fro
                $300 to $1000, depending on speed, ram, HD size, etc.

                There are issues with Vista, but it is not as much as you would think.
                I had a customer come in and buy a new quad core with Vista. She upgraded
                the video card for gaming. The games were between 1 month to 2 years old. 18
                out of 20 games worked with Vista. I'd call that good odds.

                Paul Puri

                New media with an independent spirit:
                http://puripodcastproductions.com

                My gear recommendations:
                http://podsafegear.com

                Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
                http://twitter.com/paulpuri

                Promotion without shame.
                Podcasting Announcements

              • Flyswatter
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
                  You know, this exact thing happened to me the last time I recorded Coffee
                  and Tea Show--the mic recorded off center for a while (the wave pattern
                  actually reached down further than it went up) and I couldn't do anything
                  about it, then all of a sudden it sort of settled down and recorded more
                  equally. Then the next day when I tried to record Rockypod, there was a low
                  hum. I think my mic is going bad, which makes me mad since I only bought it
                  in January and I have been really careful with it (It's an MXL 990
                  compressor mic and wasn't that expensive, but I can't keep buying new mics
                  all the time even at that price! Luckily I earlier bought a couple of used
                  mics from Amber and Rusty at GA Podcast network or I would have really been
                  in trouble.)

                  Long story short, your mic may be going bad.

                  On 10/4/07, carrycroghan@... <carrycroghan@...> wrote:

                  > When I record myself, I am off-center (my politics are far left but I did
                  > not think Audacity would pick up on it). I do 'normalize' to try to get
                  > myself in the middle but it takes away some of the warmth of the voice.
                  >
                  > I did not have this problem with the old machine. Mic has not changed;
                  > room has not changed; I am in constance flux but then that is life.
                  >
                  > Is there an option I forgot to choose? I want a mono recording (just me
                  > talking why waste the bandwidth). That is what I am getting. Just slightly
                  > off-center.
                  >
                  > TIA.
                  >
                  > Carry.
                  > KnitWit: Rantings of a Rabid Knitter - a storytelling podcast with
                  > occasional knit bits.
                  > http://autumnbreezedesigns.com/blog/
                  >
                  > Messages in this topic
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcasters/message/33062;_ylc=X3oDMTM3Ym8zbmEwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzNjQ4MTA1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNDcyNgRtc2dJZAMzMzA2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzExOTE1NDAzMzAEdHBjSWQDMzMwNjI->(
                  > 1) Reply (via web post)
                  > a new topic
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcasters/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNW9qZmlrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzNjQ4MTA1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNDcyNgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzExOTE1NDAzMzA->
                  > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest<podcasters-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email+Delivery:+Digest>| Switch
                  > format to Traditional<podcasters-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>
                  > Visit Your Group
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcasters;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZWhlMzluBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzNjQ4MTA1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNDcyNgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3RpbWUDMTE5MTU0MDMzMA-->| Yahoo!

                  Laura Ross

                  The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
                  http://coffeeandteashow.com
                  Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
                  coffeeandteashow@...

                  Rocky Horror Pod Show
                  http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
                  Listener hotline: 206-350-0972 (note NEWER new number!)
                  rockypod@...

                • Flyswatter
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
                    I just thought of something else which I hadn't tried. It may be a bad
                    connector on your mixer, if you use a mixer.

                    On 10/5/07, Flyswatter <luara.mom@...> wrote:

                    > You know, this exact thing happened to me the last time I recorded Coffee
                    > and Tea Show--the mic recorded off center for a while (the wave pattern
                    > actually reached down further than it went up) and I couldn't do anything
                    > about it, then all of a sudden it sort of settled down and recorded more
                    > equally. Then the next day when I tried to record Rockypod, there was a low
                    > hum. I think my mic is going bad, which makes me mad since I only bought it
                    > in January and I have been really careful with it (It's an MXL 990
                    > compressor mic and wasn't that expensive, but I can't keep buying new mics
                    > all the time even at that price! Luckily I earlier bought a couple of used
                    > mics from Amber and Rusty at GA Podcast network or I would have really been
                    > in trouble.)
                    >
                    > Long story short, your mic may be going bad.
                    >

                    > On 10/4/07, carrycroghan@... < carrycroghan@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >

                    > > When I record myself, I am off-center (my politics are far left but I
                    > > did not think Audacity would pick up on it). I do 'normalize' to try to get
                    > > myself in the middle but it takes away some of the warmth of the voice.
                    > >
                    > > I did not have this problem with the old machine. Mic has not changed;
                    > > room has not changed; I am in constance flux but then that is life.
                    > >
                    > > Is there an option I forgot to choose? I want a mono recording (just me
                    > > talking why waste the bandwidth). That is what I am getting. Just slightly
                    > > off-center.
                    > >
                    > > TIA.
                    > >
                    > > Carry.
                    > > KnitWit: Rantings of a Rabid Knitter - a storytelling podcast with
                    > > occasional knit bits.
                    > > http://autumnbreezedesigns.com/blog/

                    Laura Ross

                    The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
                    http://coffeeandteashow.com
                    Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
                    coffeeandteashow@...

                    Rocky Horror Pod Show
                    http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
                    Listener hotline: 206-350-0972 (note NEWER new number!)
                    rockypod@...

                  • carrycroghan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
                      Ok, more information. How I know I am off center is visually.
                      Looking at the picture that Audacity produces my recording is not
                      aligned with the zero. It is below the mark by .25.

                      As to the normalizing. In Audacity, the normalize by Dominic Mazzoni
                      has two check boxes 1) Remove any DC offset (center on 0 vertically)
                      and 2) Normalize maximum amplitude to -3 dB.

                      I use the first option and it seems to get me back to 0 (center).

                      I don't use a mixer. Very low tech just computer, microphone (Sony
                      ECM-MS907?), and me. I don't think it is the mic. On the old
                      machine, I am right 0.

                      As to getting an new machine with XP. I bought directly from Compaq
                      on-line. There was a model I liked noticed another with same product
                      code but for the addition of X to the end. Turned out to be same
                      machine with different XP instead of Vista. Bought it.

                      I am thinking there is another option or setting in Audacity I forgot
                      to set.

                      Carry.
                      KnitWit: Rantings of a Rabid Knitter - a storytelling podcast with
                      occasional knit bits.
                      http://autumnbreezedesigns.com/blog/
                    • Rich
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
                        On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 12:25 +0000, carrycroghan wrote:

                        Whether or not you're touching zero has nothing to do with left/right
                        spacing in a stereo mix. It's a measurement of volume.

                        Normalize to -3 dB, and then raise your volume by 3 dB, and you'll be
                        at digital zero.

                        It sounds to me like you're doing fine.

                        Me...

                        > Ok, more information. How I know I am off center is visually.
                        > Looking at the picture that Audacity produces my recording is not
                        > aligned with the zero. It is below the mark by .25.
                        >
                        > As to the normalizing. In Audacity, the normalize by Dominic Mazzoni
                        > has two check boxes 1) Remove any DC offset (center on 0 vertically)
                        > and 2) Normalize maximum amplitude to -3 dB.
                        >
                        > I use the first option and it seems to get me back to 0 (center).
                        >
                        > I don't use a mixer. Very low tech just computer, microphone (Sony
                        > ECM-MS907?), and me. I don't think it is the mic. On the old
                        > machine, I am right 0.
                        >
                        > As to getting an new machine with XP. I bought directly from Compaq
                        > on-line. There was a model I liked noticed another with same product
                        > code but for the addition of X to the end. Turned out to be same
                        > machine with different XP instead of Vista. Bought it.
                        >
                        > I am thinking there is another option or setting in Audacity I forgot
                        > to set.
                        >
                        > Carry.
                        > KnitWit: Rantings of a Rabid Knitter - a storytelling podcast with
                        > occasional knit bits.
                        > http://autumnbreezedesigns.com/blog/

                      • Nobilis
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
                          On 10/5/07, Rich <wielgosz@...> wrote:
                          > On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 12:25 +0000, carrycroghan wrote:
                          >
                          > Whether or not you're touching zero has nothing to do with left/right
                          > spacing in a stereo mix. It's a measurement of volume.

                          He wasn't worried about left/right space. That was misspoken.

                          He was seeing the Audacity waveform off of the zero mark, which will
                          limit the dynamic range available.

                          -----
                          Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4
                        • andrew clarke
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
                            On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 07:25:28PM -0400, carrycroghan@... wrote:

                            > When I record myself, I am off-center (my politics are far left but I
                            > did not think Audacity would pick up on it). I do 'normalize' to try to
                            > get myself in the middle but it takes away some of the warmth of the
                            > voice.

                            It may be that your mic or mic preamp isn't working properly
                            electronically, causing a high DC offset.

                            In Audacity you try Effect -> Normalize and tick the box that says
                            "Remove any DC offset".

                            From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_offset :

                            "DC offset is an offsetting of a signal from zero. The term originated
                            in electronics, where it refers to a direct current voltage, but the
                            concept has been extended to any representation of a waveform. DC offset
                            is the mean amplitude of the waveform; if the mean amplitude is zero,
                            there is no DC offset.

                            DC offset is usually undesirable. For example, in audio processing, a
                            sound that has DC offset will not be at its loudest possible volume when
                            normalized (because the offset consumes headroom), and this problem can
                            possibly extend to the mix as a whole, since a sound with DC offset and
                            a sound without DC offset will have DC offset when mixed. It may also
                            cause other artifacts depending on what is being done with the signal."

                            Regards
                            Andrew