Re: [podcasters] How many podcasts are there?

  • Flyswatter
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 4, 2007
      4,875,298 podcasts. 4,875,287 are more popular than mine.

      (I totally made this up so don't quote me.)

      Laura

      On 10/4/07, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:

      > On 10/4/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...<kittyfeet70%40yahoo.com>>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Has anyone seen recent, current, reliable stats that you can point me
      > > to on:
      > > 1. How many podcasts there are (in the US, and in the World.)
      > > 1. How many people are listening to podcasts (in the US, and in the
      > > World.)

      Laura Ross

      The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
      http://coffeeandteashow.com
      Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
      coffeeandteashow@...

      Rocky Horror Pod Show
      http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
      Listener hotline: 206-350-0972 (note NEWER new number!)
      rockypod@...

    • Michael W. Dean
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 4, 2007
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Flyswatter <luara.mom@...> wrote:

        > 4,875,298 podcasts. 4,875,287 are more popular than mine.
        >
        > (I totally made this up so don't quote me.)
        >
        > Laura

        ---=
        I like your podcast!

        MWD
      • Flyswatter
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 4, 2007
          Okay then, 4,875,286!

          On 10/4/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > Flyswatter <luara.mom@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > 4,875,298 podcasts. 4,875,287 are more popular than mine.
          > >
          > > (I totally made this up so don't quote me.)
          > >
          > > Laura
          > >
          > ---=
          > I like your podcast!
          >
          > MWD

          Laura Ross

          The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
          http://coffeeandteashow.com
          Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
          coffeeandteashow@...

          Rocky Horror Pod Show
          http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
          Listener hotline: 206-350-0972 (note NEWER new number!)
          rockypod@...

        • Steven R. Boyett
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 4, 2007
            From Google search:

            http://www.straightupsearch.com/archives/2007/09/apple_announces.html

            --steve boyett

            _____

            > 4,875,298 podcasts. 4,875,287 are more popular than mine.
            >
            > (I totally made this up so don't quote me.)
            >
            > Laura

            ---=
            I like your podcast!

            MWD

          • Flyswatter
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 4, 2007
              Wow amazing, they got even numbers? Quick, somebody create another podcast!
              I want to see it say 125,001, because I'm all perverse like that.

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 4, 2007
                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Flyswatter <luara.mom@...> wrote:

                > Wow amazing, they got even numbers? Quick, somebody create another
                podcast!
                > I want to see it say 125,001, because I'm all perverse like that.

                ===
                Or you could say 124,999. I'm pretty sure my Deal Machine podcast has
                podfadded.

                Pervert.

                MWD
                "Clone The Homeless"
                Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
                was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
                http://www.clonethehomeless.com
              • Crash
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 5, 2007
                  ok so I-tunes says 125,000, the Pickle says 9212 , the Alley says 35,385

                  With numbers like these, you can't believe anything any of them say. There
                  is no one "Right" Number. But then again podcasting isn't about the numbers.

                  --

                  Marrcus "Crash" Beattie

                • Steven R. Boyett
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 5, 2007
                    So what's not to believe? That's likely what the respective directories
                    list.

                    --steve boyett

                    _____

                    --

                    Marrcus "Crash" Beattie

                  • P. Dilly
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 5, 2007
                      By having 9212 podcast on PodcastPickle.com, we are not saying that is all
                      the podcasts that exist in the world. We are saying that is all the podcasts
                      on our website. Almost 40% of the podcasts that get submitted to our site do
                      not get approved.for addition to PodcastPickle.com I don't know why you
                      can't believe anything we say. I guarantee that the amount we say we have on
                      our site, is the true amount we have on the site.

                      On 10/5/07, Crash <crashespad@...> wrote:

                      > ok so I-tunes says 125,000, the Pickle says 9212 , the Alley says 35,385
                      >
                      > With numbers like these, you can't believe anything any of them say. There
                      > is no one "Right" Number. But then again podcasting isn't about the
                      > numbers.
                      >
                      > On 10/5/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...<kittyfeet70%40yahoo.com>>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com><podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > > Flyswatter <luara.mom@...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Wow amazing, they got even numbers? Quick, somebody create another
                      > > podcast!
                      > > > I want to see it say 125,001, because I'm all perverse like that.
                      > > >
                      > > ===
                      > > Or you could say 124,999. I'm pretty sure my Deal Machine podcast has
                      > > podfadded.
                      > >
                      > > Pervert.
                      > >
                      > > MWD
                      > > "Clone The Homeless"
                      > > Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
                      > > was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
                      > > http://www.clonethehomeless.com
                      > >

                      > --
                      >
                      > Marrcus "Crash" Beattie

                      Gary Leland

                      www.PodcastPickle.com
                      www.PickleReviews.com
                      www.PickleMobile.com
                      www.PodcasterTree.com
                      www.PodcastJunk.com
                      www.PodcastInspector.com
                      www.DillDomains.com
                      www.MySalesAccount.com

                    • Crash
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 5, 2007
                        that wasn't what it was about.

                        The Original person asked "How many podcasts there are?" one person posted a
                        link about "apple says" and people started taking it as fact.

                        I was just pointing out that you can't just take one result and define
                        everything off of it. I just picked hte one's that I use as an Example of
                        how the numubers chage depending on where you look for the answer. I Figured
                        most folks would get the concept without a full on explination.

                        Since if you look thru I-Tunes they don't clean anything out, there are
                        shows listed in it that have nothing on the feed and many that are long
                        since gone.

                        On 10/5/07, P. Dilly <podcastpickle@...> wrote:

                        > By having 9212 podcast on PodcastPickle.com, we are not saying that is
                        > all
                        > the podcasts that exist in the world. We are saying that is all the
                        > podcasts
                        > on our website. Almost 40% of the podcasts that get submitted to our site
                        > do
                        > not get approved.for addition to PodcastPickle.com I don't know why you
                        > can't believe anything we say. I guarantee that the amount we say we have
                        > on
                        > our site, is the true amount we have on the site.
                        >
                        > On 10/5/07, Crash <crashespad@... <crashespad%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > ok so I-tunes says 125,000, the Pickle says 9212 , the Alley says 35,385
                        > >
                        > > With numbers like these, you can't believe anything any of them say.
                        > There
                        > > is no one "Right" Number. But then again podcasting isn't about the
                        > > numbers.
                        > >
                        > > On 10/5/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...<kittyfeet70%40yahoo.com>
                        > <kittyfeet70%40yahoo.com>>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com><podcasters%40yahoogroups.com><podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>,

                        > > > podcast!
                        > > > >
                        > > > ===
                        > > > Or you could say 124,999. I'm pretty sure my Deal Machine podcast has
                        > > > podfadded.
                        > > >
                        > > > Pervert.
                        > > >
                        > > > MWD
                        > > > "Clone The Homeless"
                        > > > Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
                        > > > was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
                        > > > http://www.clonethehomeless.com
                        > > >

                        > > --
                        > >
                        > > Marrcus "Crash" Beattie

                        > Gary Leland
                        >
                        > www.PodcastPickle.com
                        > www.PickleReviews.com
                        > www.PickleMobile.com
                        > www.PodcasterTree.com
                        > www.PodcastJunk.com
                        > www.PodcastInspector.com
                        > www.DillDomains.com
                        > www.MySalesAccount.com

                        Marrcus "Crash" Beattie

                      • P. Dilly
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 5, 2007
                          I was confused, but whats new. Sorry

                          On 10/5/07, Crash <crashespad@...> wrote:

                          > that wasn't what it was about.
                          >
                          > The Original person asked "How many podcasts there are?" one person posted
                          > link about "apple says" and people started taking it as fact.
                          >
                          > I was just pointing out that you can't just take one result and define
                          > everything off of it. I just picked hte one's that I use as an Example of
                          > how the numubers chage depending on where you look for the answer. I
                          > Figured
                          > most folks would get the concept without a full on explination.
                          >
                          > Since if you look thru I-Tunes they don't clean anything out, there are
                          > shows listed in it that have nothing on the feed and many that are long
                          > since gone.
                          >
                          > On 10/5/07, P. Dilly <podcastpickle@... <podcastpickle%40gmail.com>>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > By having 9212 podcast on PodcastPickle.com, we are not saying that is
                          > > all
                          > > the podcasts that exist in the world. We are saying that is all the
                          > > podcasts
                          > > on our website. Almost 40% of the podcasts that get submitted to our
                          > site
                          > > do
                          > > not get approved.for addition to PodcastPickle.com I don't know why you
                          > > can't believe anything we say. I guarantee that the amount we say we
                          > have
                          > > on
                          > > our site, is the true amount we have on the site.
                          > >
                          > > On 10/5/07, Crash <crashespad@... <crashespad%40gmail.com><crashespad%
                          > 40gmail.com>> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > ok so I-tunes says 125,000, the Pickle says 9212 , the Alley says
                          > 35,385
                          > > >
                          > > > With numbers like these, you can't believe anything any of them say.
                          > > There
                          > > > is no one "Right" Number. But then again podcasting isn't about the
                          > > > numbers.
                          > > >
                          > > > On 10/5/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...<kittyfeet70%40yahoo.com>
                          > <kittyfeet70%40yahoo.com>
                          > > <kittyfeet70%40yahoo.com>>

                          > has

                          > > > --
                          > > >
                          > > > Marrcus "Crash" Beattie

                          > > Gary Leland
                          > >
                          > > www.PodcastPickle.com
                          > > www.PickleReviews.com
                          > > www.PickleMobile.com
                          > > www.PodcasterTree.com
                          > > www.PodcastJunk.com
                          > > www.PodcastInspector.com
                          > > www.DillDomains.com
                          > > www.MySalesAccount.com

                          > Marrcus "Crash" Beattie

                          Gary Leland

                          www.PodcastPickle.com
                          www.PickleReviews.com
                          www.PickleMobile.com
                          www.PodcasterTree.com
                          www.PodcastJunk.com
                          www.PodcastInspector.com
                          www.DillDomains.com
                          www.MySalesAccount.com

                        • Steven R. Boyett
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 5, 2007
                            No, it IS a fact that Apple reports 125,000 podcasts on iTunes. But I'll be
                            glad to simply avoid attempting to answer any such queries in the future. I
                            just thought I'd buck the tide and actually try to answer a question instead
                            of simply snipingat a poster for the sheer effrontery of asking.

                            --steve boyett

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 9, 2007
                              Over at podcast.com, we have 17529 podcast rss feeds in the system
                              currently.

                              This figure is constantly fluctuating (but trending upwards) as feeds
                              are added and other are removed after being found as broken or
                              old/missing.

                              As we open up the beta to podcast.com, so members can build and
                              maintain their own podcast directories, I'm sure there will be more
                              arrive, which don't get added using our podcast ping service at
                              http://ping.podcast.com, but added because people LOVE a show and want
                              to monitor it and share in their directory. ;)

                              Soon you'll all be able to build your own iTunes using your
                              podcast.com account data ;)

                              Having built the system over at podcast.com, I find it very hard to
                              believe there are over 100,000 active/alive podcast feeds.

                              ;) If there is, then maybe I could subscribe to them ALL in iTunes,
                              then export the OPML from iTunes to import into a user account at
                              podcast.com! nice! :)

                              cheers!
                              Kosso

                              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...>