RE: [podcasters] Re: Yahoo to close down podcasting site

  • Rob Greenlee-WebTalkGuys
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 26, 2007
      I am not surprised Yahoo has decided to do this. It jumped on a hot trend
      and did not have a long-term vision. Yahoo just has to many businesses to
      focus on and this one just did not work for them.

      I just think that any podcast directory needs to be directly linked up with
      an easy to subscribe to and use portable or mobile player to be successful.
      Listeners and directories need to be one-click to subscribe and listen
      processes. This explains the success of iTunes + iPod solution. Any other
      successful platform needs to have the same equation and Yahoo just did not
      have this connection to a portable or mobile phone player. I do think that
      topic segmented web-based podcast directories can be successful, but will
      need to eventually be merged with a simple one-button to subscribe and
      listen platform for them to have long-term success. I think we will see a
      few more directories close down or merge with other companies.

      For podcasting to reach mass adoption they need to be easily subscribed to,
      downloaded or streamed to a internet connected media
      player(iPod,Zune,iRiver), car media player, TV set-top box, gaming console
      and mobile phone. I saw with Mobilcast that given the option - people
      choose 90% of the time to on-demand stream podcasts from an internet server
      to mobile wireless connected phone player devices. We already see streaming
      on TIVO with audio podcasts and most video (TIVOCasts) podcasts downloaded,
      but audio will most often be streamed to player devices.

      I am attending the Expo and will be arriving Thursday night.

      Rob Greenlee
      http://www.mobilcaster.com
      Mobile: 253-831-5632

      _____

      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 27, 2007
        That's a real bummer. I get quite a few links from there....

      • Matthew K
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 27, 2007
          Bummer

          JohnnyMax <JohnnyMax@...> wrote: That's a real bummer. I get quite a few links from there....