Re: [podcasters] It's so quiet all of a sudden...

  • Flyswatter
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 4 10:27 AM
      I came home from Dragon*con to find Comcast had gone out and they can't come
      out to fix internet and cable TV for a few days (I'm posting from work).
      Yep, I'm distressed.

      --
      Laura Ross

      The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
      http://coffeeandteashow.com
      Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
      coffeeandteashow@...

      Rocky Horror Pod Show
      http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
      Listener hotline: 206-888-4991 (note new number)
      rockypod@...

    • Michael W. Dean
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 4 1:45 PM
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Flyswatter <luara.mom@...> wrote:

        > I came home from Dragon*con to find Comcast had gone out and they
        can't come
        > out to fix internet and cable TV for a few days
        ====
        This doesn't help for uploading or downloading podcasts, but if you
        just need to check e-mail at home, and SLOWLY check these forums or
        something, most high-speed Internet access packages also include
        dial-up access. They often don't even tell you. But get the dial-up
        number for your area online at work and configure your dial-up modem
        to dial in, using your user name and password.

        I've even checked e-mail during a power blackout with this technique
        from where I live, running the laptop on batteries.

        MWD
      • Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast?
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 4 2:36 PM
          Stephen Eley wrote:
          > Or because so many people were at Dragon*Con and other events over the weekend.
          >
          > (Great time, BTW. I always love seeing everyone at these things.)

          Yeah, I had time to meet a few podcasters this weekend at Dragon*Con.
          Silly staff duties kept me from spending a lot of time at the Hilton. I
          only managed to meet Mur when I checked out of the hotel (she was in
          front of me in line).

          Pardon me while I nap & take some extra vitamins ... br
          --
          Brian Richardson
          - http://siliconchef.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 5 8:08 AM
            Heck, we have supah high-speed at work, so I went to work. I work at a photo
            lab and we have to be able to move a lot of content quickly, so it's all
            good baby!

            By the way, the cable guy said we were hit by lightning and a big tree
            branch, and they now want to bury our cable. This is the third time we've
            lost connection this year.

            Laura

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 5 8:30 AM
              On 9/4/07, Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast? <wtc@...> wrote:

              > Yeah, I had time to meet a few podcasters this weekend at Dragon*Con.
              > Silly staff duties kept me from spending a lot of time at the Hilton. I
              > only managed to meet Mur when I checked out of the hotel (she was in
              > front of me in line).

              And I didn't see you at all. Rargh. (Though I did enjoy much of your
              work on Dragon*Con TV. Terrific job as always.)

              Con report here, if anyone's still interested -- I will warn you that
              the text is longer than some of my podcast episodes:

              http://sfeley.livejournal.com/43960.html

              http://www.escapepod.org
            • Al Righta
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 5 3:52 PM
                Hey. For those of you who attended Dragon Con, could you give a review or just share
                with the group how podcasting was represented there?
                I've heard many podcasters talking about it and attending, I'm wondering if I should think
                about going next year.
                Jasper fromThePlanNineRockShow.
                http://plannineprint.com

                > > > I came home from Dragon*con to find Comcast had gone out and they
                > > can't come
                > > > out to fix internet and cable TV for a few days
                > > ====
                > > This doesn't help for uploading or downloading podcasts, but if you
                > > just need to check e-mail at home, and SLOWLY check these forums or
                > > something, most high-speed Internet access packages also include
                > > dial-up access. They often don't even tell you. But get the dial-up
                > > number for your area online at work and configure your dial-up modem
                > > to dial in, using your user name and password.
                > >
                > > I've even checked e-mail during a power blackout with this technique
                > > from where I live, running the laptop on batteries.
                > >
                > > MWD

                > Laura Ross
                >
                > The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
                > http://coffeeandteashow.com
                > Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
                > coffeeandteashow@...
                >
                > Rocky Horror Pod Show
                > http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
                > Listener hotline: 206-888-4991 (note new number)
                > rockypod@...

              • Matthew Wayne Selznick
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 5 11:40 PM
                  On 9/5/07, Al Righta <alrighta@...> wrote:
                  > Hey. For those of you who attended Dragon Con, could you give a review or just share
                  > with the group how podcasting was represented there?
                  > I've heard many podcasters talking about it and attending, I'm wondering if I should think
                  > about going next year.

                  I'll be doing an episode of Sonitotum this weekend; I'll talk about
                  Dragon*Con. Steve Eley posted something on his blog, as did Mur
                  Lafferty and several others. Look for the usual suspects..!

                  But, yeah, you should go.

                  --
                  Matthew Wayne Selznick
                  Podcaster, Author
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 6 6:47 AM
                    > Hey. For those of you who attended Dragon Con, could you give a review or just share
                    > with the group how podcasting was represented there?
                    > I've heard many podcasters talking about it and attending, I'm wondering if I should think
                    > about going next year.
                    > Jasper fromThePlanNineRockShow.

                    I'd highly recommend checking out this feed where many of the panels
                    and live shows are posted...

                    http://dragoncon.libsyn.com/rss

                    Many events from the first couple of days are already on there and
                    more should be added soon.

                    Along with the great podcasting track the rest of Dragon*Con is a
                    unique experience that I HIGHLY recommend.

                    This recap from 2005 does a great job of letting you know what the
                    experience can be like...

                    http://www.dvdtalk.com/features/dragoncon2005/index.html

                    Kevin

                    --
                    If you're a fan of Farscape or Firefly then you'll enjoy listening to
                    the award winning podcasts...

                    The ScapeCast
                    http://www.scapecast.org

                    The Signal