Re: [podcasters] It's so quiet all of a sudden...

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
      On 9/4/07, Lans Hobart <wlhobart@...> wrote:
      > I assume this is because of the Quetchup fiasco, yes?

      Or because so many people were at Dragon*Con and other events over the weekend.

      (Great time, BTW. I always love seeing everyone at these things.)

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
        Or holiday weekend here in the states.

        On 9/4/07, Lans Hobart <wlhobart@...> wrote:

        > I assume this is because of the Quetchup fiasco, yes?

        Mike Wills
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikewills
        Blog - http://mikewills.name
        Podcasts - http://podcastmike.com

      • Jason Thomas
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
          What is Quetchup???

          The Half Show with Me-saj & Jason
          YOUR INTERNET ENTERTAINMENT SOURCE FOR NEW TALENT

          SUBSCRIBE HERE :
          CALL THE COMMENT LINE: 206-600-HALF (4253)
          http//:www.thehalfshow.com

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
            I came home from Dragon*con to find Comcast had gone out and they can't come
            out to fix internet and cable TV for a few days (I'm posting from work).
            Yep, I'm distressed.

            --
            Laura Ross

            The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
            http://coffeeandteashow.com
            Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
            coffeeandteashow@...

            Rocky Horror Pod Show
            http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
            Listener hotline: 206-888-4991 (note new number)
            rockypod@...

          • Michael W. Dean
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Flyswatter <luara.mom@...> wrote:

              > I came home from Dragon*con to find Comcast had gone out and they
              can't come
              > out to fix internet and cable TV for a few days
              ====
              This doesn't help for uploading or downloading podcasts, but if you
              just need to check e-mail at home, and SLOWLY check these forums or
              something, most high-speed Internet access packages also include
              dial-up access. They often don't even tell you. But get the dial-up
              number for your area online at work and configure your dial-up modem
              to dial in, using your user name and password.

              I've even checked e-mail during a power blackout with this technique
              from where I live, running the laptop on batteries.

              MWD
            • Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast?
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
                Stephen Eley wrote:
                > Or because so many people were at Dragon*Con and other events over the weekend.
                >
                > (Great time, BTW. I always love seeing everyone at these things.)

                Yeah, I had time to meet a few podcasters this weekend at Dragon*Con.
                Silly staff duties kept me from spending a lot of time at the Hilton. I
                only managed to meet Mur when I checked out of the hotel (she was in
                front of me in line).

                Pardon me while I nap & take some extra vitamins ... br
                --
                Brian Richardson
                - http://siliconchef.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 5, 2007
                  Heck, we have supah high-speed at work, so I went to work. I work at a photo
                  lab and we have to be able to move a lot of content quickly, so it's all
                  good baby!

                  By the way, the cable guy said we were hit by lightning and a big tree
                  branch, and they now want to bury our cable. This is the third time we've
                  lost connection this year.

                  Laura

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 5, 2007
                    On 9/4/07, Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast? <wtc@...> wrote:

                    > Yeah, I had time to meet a few podcasters this weekend at Dragon*Con.
                    > Silly staff duties kept me from spending a lot of time at the Hilton. I
                    > only managed to meet Mur when I checked out of the hotel (she was in
                    > front of me in line).

                    And I didn't see you at all. Rargh. (Though I did enjoy much of your
                    work on Dragon*Con TV. Terrific job as always.)

                    Con report here, if anyone's still interested -- I will warn you that
                    the text is longer than some of my podcast episodes:

                    http://sfeley.livejournal.com/43960.html

                    http://www.escapepod.org
                  • Al Righta
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 5, 2007
                      Hey. For those of you who attended Dragon Con, could you give a review or just share
                      with the group how podcasting was represented there?
                      I've heard many podcasters talking about it and attending, I'm wondering if I should think
                      about going next year.
                      Jasper fromThePlanNineRockShow.
                      http://plannineprint.com

                      > > > I came home from Dragon*con to find Comcast had gone out and they
                      > > can't come
                      > > > out to fix internet and cable TV for a few days
                      > > ====
                      > > This doesn't help for uploading or downloading podcasts, but if you
                      > > just need to check e-mail at home, and SLOWLY check these forums or
                      > > something, most high-speed Internet access packages also include
                      > > dial-up access. They often don't even tell you. But get the dial-up
                      > > number for your area online at work and configure your dial-up modem
                      > > to dial in, using your user name and password.
                      > >
                      > > I've even checked e-mail during a power blackout with this technique
                      > > from where I live, running the laptop on batteries.
                      > >
                      > > MWD

                      > Laura Ross
                      >
                      > The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
                      > http://coffeeandteashow.com
                      > Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
                      > coffeeandteashow@...
                      >
                      > Rocky Horror Pod Show
                      > http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
                      > Listener hotline: 206-888-4991 (note new number)
                      > rockypod@...

                    • Matthew Wayne Selznick
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 5, 2007
                        On 9/5/07, Al Righta <alrighta@...> wrote:
                        > Hey. For those of you who attended Dragon Con, could you give a review or just share
                        > with the group how podcasting was represented there?
                        > I've heard many podcasters talking about it and attending, I'm wondering if I should think
                        > about going next year.

                        I'll be doing an episode of Sonitotum this weekend; I'll talk about
                        Dragon*Con. Steve Eley posted something on his blog, as did Mur
                        Lafferty and several others. Look for the usual suspects..!

                        But, yeah, you should go.

                        --
                        Matthew Wayne Selznick
                        Podcaster, Author
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 6, 2007
                          > Hey. For those of you who attended Dragon Con, could you give a review or just share
                          > with the group how podcasting was represented there?
                          > I've heard many podcasters talking about it and attending, I'm wondering if I should think
                          > about going next year.
                          > Jasper fromThePlanNineRockShow.

                          I'd highly recommend checking out this feed where many of the panels
                          and live shows are posted...

                          http://dragoncon.libsyn.com/rss

                          Many events from the first couple of days are already on there and
                          more should be added soon.

                          Along with the great podcasting track the rest of Dragon*Con is a
                          unique experience that I HIGHLY recommend.

                          This recap from 2005 does a great job of letting you know what the
                          experience can be like...

                          http://www.dvdtalk.com/features/dragoncon2005/index.html

                          Kevin

                          --
                          If you're a fan of Farscape or Firefly then you'll enjoy listening to
                          the award winning podcasts...

                          The ScapeCast
                          http://www.scapecast.org

                          The Signal