RE: [podcasters] Firewire vs. USB Mixer

  • David G. Lopez
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
      When you use usb the mix coming out of your mixer is only a right a left
      channel. When using fire wire you can record each individual channel
      (depending on your mixer) and then mix it down after the recording.

      David G. Lopez

      <http://www.tunesentertainment.libsyn.com/>

      _____

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
        That's what I meant, said much better.

        Martin

        On 9/1/07, David G. Lopez <hardrockcafe@...> wrote:

        > When you use usb the mix coming out of your mixer is only a right a left
        > channel. When using fire wire you can record each individual channel
        > (depending on your mixer) and then mix it down after the recording.
        >

        > David G. Lopez
        >
        > <http://www.tunesentertainment.libsyn.com/>
        >

        > _____

        Martin McKeay, CISSP, GIAC:GSNA
        The Network Security Podcast
        http://www.mckeay.net/
        http://www.securityroundtable.com/
        http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/mckeay
        YIM: mmckeay@...
        707-495-7926

      • Richard Amirault
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
          From: "David G. Lopez"

          > When you use usb the mix coming out of your mixer is only a right a left
          > channel. When using fire wire you can record each individual channel
          > (depending on your mixer) and then mix it down after the recording.

          Well that's how it's been UP 'TILL NOW. With High Speed USB 2.0 the data
          rate is comparable with firewire. I don't think there is anything inherently
          multi-channel about firewire, but I could be wrong.

          Richard Amirault
          Boston, MA, USA
          http://n1jdu.org
          http://bostonfandom.org
        • Shawn Thorpe
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
            On 9/1/07, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...> wrote:

> [...]

            I don't own any USB audio gear, so I can't speak to the abilities of that
            type of interface. But I do own an Alesus Firewire-8 mixer, and it handles
            simultaneous multi-track recording just fine.

            --
            -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
            Hyper Nonsense - Talk, comedy, music and more!

            Shawnogram - Content = life.
            http://www.shawnogram.com/

            Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
            http://www.phantompower.org/