Re: Firewire vs. USB Mixer

  • Cian Mac Mahon
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
      At the moment, USB mixers DO NOT work with most Intel Mac computers
      due to the upgrade 10.4.10 which apple released a few months back.
      This upgrade messed up core audio which means you need to downgrade a
      single piece of core audio in order to make it work. If you want will
      copy paste instructions.

      Cian Mac Mahon
      Professional Teenage Podcaster
      Available for voice work, consulting
      www.stuffslashersaw.com
      www.viewfromthequad.com

    • David G. Lopez
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
        When you use usb the mix coming out of your mixer is only a right a left
        channel. When using fire wire you can record each individual channel
        (depending on your mixer) and then mix it down after the recording.

        David G. Lopez

        <http://www.tunesentertainment.libsyn.com/>

        _____

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
          That's what I meant, said much better.

          Martin

          On 9/1/07, David G. Lopez <hardrockcafe@...> wrote:

          > When you use usb the mix coming out of your mixer is only a right a left
          > channel. When using fire wire you can record each individual channel
          > (depending on your mixer) and then mix it down after the recording.
          >

          > David G. Lopez
          >
          > <http://www.tunesentertainment.libsyn.com/>
          >

          > _____

          Martin McKeay, CISSP, GIAC:GSNA
          The Network Security Podcast
          http://www.mckeay.net/
          http://www.securityroundtable.com/
          http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/mckeay
          YIM: mmckeay@...
          707-495-7926

        • Richard Amirault
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
            From: "David G. Lopez"

            > When you use usb the mix coming out of your mixer is only a right a left
            > channel. When using fire wire you can record each individual channel
            > (depending on your mixer) and then mix it down after the recording.

            Well that's how it's been UP 'TILL NOW. With High Speed USB 2.0 the data
            rate is comparable with firewire. I don't think there is anything inherently
            multi-channel about firewire, but I could be wrong.

            Richard Amirault
            Boston, MA, USA
            http://n1jdu.org
            http://bostonfandom.org
          • Shawn Thorpe
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
              On 9/1/07, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...> wrote:

> [...]

              I don't own any USB audio gear, so I can't speak to the abilities of that
              type of interface. But I do own an Alesus Firewire-8 mixer, and it handles
              simultaneous multi-track recording just fine.

              --
              -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
              Hyper Nonsense - Talk, comedy, music and more!

              Shawnogram - Content = life.
              http://www.shawnogram.com/

              Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
              http://www.phantompower.org/