Re: [podcasters] Re: If you conduct interviews, I would like your opinion

  • Prime Point Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2007
      an interesting discussion. I have already produced and published a podcast
      on 'podcast' itself. A popular Radio and Television jockey explains the
      finer nuances of conducting interviews. Please visit the following link
      and listen

      http://poduniversal.blogspot.com/2007/07/corporate-podcasts-exciting-branding.html

      srinivasan
      http://www.poduniversal.com
      http://corporatepodcast.blogspot.com

      On 9/1/07, desade_69xxx <desade_69xxx@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > What I'm getting at is, despite my lack of "professional credentials",
      > I consider myself a successful interviewer based upon the response
      > I've gotten from the people I've interviewed.
      >
      > To answer your questions...
      >
      > 1. What have you learned that will help someone do a better interview?
      >
      > Making the interviewee comfortable before I start recording is my
      > number one priority. I'm still surprised when I hear podcast
      > interviews that start with the phone ringing and the interviewee
      > picking up the phone. From my first interview, I've always spent a few
      > minutes talking with the other person(s) and asking if they're ready
      > to record. This probably had the most effect with the interviewee with
      > the 'famous friend'. I made it clear that I read a number of his
      > interviews online, and noticed that his friend doesn't come up in
      > conversation, and that we would respect that. I also pointed out that
      > we were there to interview him, not interview his friend by proxy. I
      > swear I could hear the tension in his voice fade in the few minutes we
      > spoke before recording.
      >
      > 2. I agree with your opinon of Howard Stern. In fact, I think he's one
      > of the most talented interviewers in broadcasting.
      >
      > 3. The target audience is what it is all about.
      >
      > Ironically, this is one thing that doesn't apply to our podcast,
      > unless you consider me as my target audience. Kryptographik exists
      > because I wanted a podcast that covered topics I'm interested in.
      >
      > There are roughly 100 comic podcasts vying for the same listeners -
      > mostly because their general focus is on superhero comics. We have
      > listeners who tell us either we're the only comic podcast they listen
      > to, or even the only podcast they listen to, because no one else does
      > what we do.
      >
      > Our "Direktor's Kut" episodes have been nearly as much of a hit with
      > creators as with listeners. In fact, response from creators wanting to
      > do them has been so positive, I could probably do a side podcast - if
      > only I didn't have to work for a living (my girlfriend demands some
      > face time too).
      >
      > From day one, we forged our own niche - News, reviews and interviews
      > covering horror, science fiction and dark fantasy, in and out of
      > comics. We discuss movies, music, books, video games, and comics. No
      > medium is off-limits (I'm planning on doing a webcomic episode soon).
      > We're not even limited to those genres, although they're the main
      > focus. The only genre that's off-limits is superheroes (exceptions
      > were made for the Eisner podcasts).
      >
      > I'll try & wrap up this rambling mess with this - do your research,
      > make your interviewee comfortable, and create your own niche. If your
      > audience can find what you do elsewhere, they will. If your
      > interviewee is happy, he or she will refer their friends (and fans).
      >
      > Brian Matus
      > Co-host of the Kryptographik podcast, covering Horror,
      > S/F and Dark Fantasy, in and out of comics.

    • Ed Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
        Hi Brian, hats off to your for being able to juggle 5 interviewees with no
        visual clues, that was outstanding. Also all of your comments were helpful,
        especially warming up the guest on a phone line first, very important. So
        thank you for that.

        I bet you have a few pet peeves as well. You might be interested in a new
        post on my blog re Jessica Simpson keeping an interviewer waiting 11 hours
        for an interview.

        OK, thanks again Brian, you were a big help.
        Ed Smith http://www.conductknockoutbroadcastinterviews.com/blog/