Firewire vs. USB Mixer

  • vannuysd
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2007
      I'm using an Alesis Multimix 8 USB. I know there are USB mixers and Firewire mixers. Are
      there any advantages to going with Firewire?

      Thanks,

      David
    • Martin McKeay
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 31, 2007
        Firewire mixers let you treat each channel of the mixer as a different sound
        stream. On your Alesis all of the sound is treated as one stream by the
        computer. A firewire mixer would let you record your main audio (ie you) as
        one stream and your guest as another stream.

        At least that's the way I understand it. I have a Yamaha MW10. It's a nice
        mixer, but I wish I'd waited a little longer until I could afford a firewire
        mixer.

        Martin

        On 8/31/07, vannuysd <shrink@...> wrote:

        > I'm using an Alesis Multimix 8 USB. I know there are USB mixers and
        > Firewire mixers. Are
        > there any advantages to going with Firewire?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > David

        Martin McKeay, CISSP, GIAC:GSNA
        The Network Security Podcast
        http://www.mckeay.net/
        http://www.securityroundtable.com/
        http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/mckeay
        YIM: mmckeay@...
        707-495-7926

      • Matthew
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 31, 2007
          Alesis just came out with a USB 2.0 mixer which is faster than the USB mixer, but doesn't require a firewire connection. You might want to look into that.

          http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=107

          Matt

          Martin McKeay <Martin@...> wrote:
          Firewire mixers let you treat each channel of the mixer as a different sound
          stream. On your Alesis all of the sound is treated as one stream by the
          computer. A firewire mixer would let you record your main audio (ie you) as
          one stream and your guest as another stream.

          At least that's the way I understand it. I have a Yamaha MW10. It's a nice
          mixer, but I wish I'd waited a little longer until I could afford a firewire
          mixer.

          Martin

          On 8/31/07, vannuysd <shrink@...> wrote:

          > I'm using an Alesis Multimix 8 USB. I know there are USB mixers and
          > Firewire mixers. Are
          > there any advantages to going with Firewire?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > David

          Martin McKeay, CISSP, GIAC:GSNA
          The Network Security Podcast
          http://www.mckeay.net/
          http://www.securityroundtable.com/
          http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/mckeay
          YIM: mmckeay@...
          707-495-7926

        • Richard Amirault
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 31, 2007
            > Alesis just came out with a USB 2.0 mixer which is faster than the USB
            > mixer, but doesn't require a firewire connection. You might want to look
            > into that.

            Yes but .. it's *still* USB. It will only give you a stereo input to your
            computer. Firewire gives you multiple channels at the same time.

            Richard Amirault
            Boston, MA, USA
            http://n1jdu.org
            http://bostonfandom.org
          • Matthew
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 31, 2007
              The Alesis website says it's a multi channel mixer.

              Matt

              > Alesis just came out with a USB 2.0 mixer which is faster than the USB
              > mixer, but doesn't require a firewire connection. You might want to look
              > into that.

              Yes but .. it's *still* USB. It will only give you a stereo input to your
              computer. Firewire gives you multiple channels at the same time.

              Richard Amirault
              Boston, MA, USA
              http://n1jdu.org
              http://bostonfandom.org

            • Paul McElligott
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 31, 2007
                Looks like it's identical to the Firewire 8 mixer except for the
                interface. Some functionality, same price.

                On 8/31/07, Matthew <matt_hew@...> wrote:

                > The Alesis website says it's a multi channel mixer.
                >
                > Matt
                >
                > Richard Amirault <ramirault@...> wrote:

                Paul McElligott
                http://www.celluloidheroreviews.com
                Skype: paul.mcelligott
                ICQ: 441155165

                "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other human
                invention in human history ... with the possible exception of handguns
                and tequila."
              • Richard Amirault
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 31, 2007
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 31, 2007
                    I hope this helps clarify things.

                    Here's the Product Overview
                    http://www.alesis.com/downloads/ftp/specsheets/Alesis_MultiMix_USB20_Mixers_ProductOverview.pdf

                    > The Alesis website says it's a multi channel mixer.

                    OK .. maybe I misspoke .. but it isn't clear what "multiply channel" means
                    in the desription.

                    As far as I know .. the data rate of high speed USB 2.0 is similar to
                    Firewire . so I guess it's possible.

                    Richard Amirault
                    Boston, MA, USA
                    http://n1jdu.org
                    http://bostonfandom.org

                  • Cian Mac Mahon
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
                      At the moment, USB mixers DO NOT work with most Intel Mac computers
                      due to the upgrade 10.4.10 which apple released a few months back.
                      This upgrade messed up core audio which means you need to downgrade a
                      single piece of core audio in order to make it work. If you want will
                      copy paste instructions.

                      Cian Mac Mahon
                      Professional Teenage Podcaster
                      Available for voice work, consulting
                      www.stuffslashersaw.com
                      www.viewfromthequad.com

                    • David G. Lopez
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
                        When you use usb the mix coming out of your mixer is only a right a left
                        channel. When using fire wire you can record each individual channel
                        (depending on your mixer) and then mix it down after the recording.

                        David G. Lopez

                        <http://www.tunesentertainment.libsyn.com/>

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
                          That's what I meant, said much better.

                          Martin

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
                            > When you use usb the mix coming out of your mixer is only a right a left
                            > channel. When using fire wire you can record each individual channel
                            > (depending on your mixer) and then mix it down after the recording.

                            Well that's how it's been UP 'TILL NOW. With High Speed USB 2.0 the data
                            rate is comparable with firewire. I don't think there is anything inherently
                            multi-channel about firewire, but I could be wrong.

                            Richard Amirault
                            Boston, MA, USA
                            http://n1jdu.org
                            http://bostonfandom.org
                          • Shawn Thorpe
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 1, 2007
                              On 9/1/07, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...> wrote:

> [...]

                              I don't own any USB audio gear, so I can't speak to the abilities of that
                              type of interface. But I do own an Alesus Firewire-8 mixer, and it handles
                              simultaneous multi-track recording just fine.

                              --
                              -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
                              Hyper Nonsense - Talk, comedy, music and more!

                              Shawnogram - Content = life.
                              http://www.shawnogram.com/

                              Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
                              http://www.phantompower.org/