If you conduct interviews, I would like your opinion

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 28, 2007
      Hi, if you conduct interviews as part of your podcasts, you probably
      have some thoughts about do's and don'ts of conducting an interview.
      I have started a blog that covers how to conduct an interview in the
      broadcast media. It is at:
      http://www.conductknockoutbroadcastinterviews.com/blog/. I would
      welcome your comments on what makes for a good interview, who your
      favorite interviewers are, or whatever. You can mention your podcasts
      so not only will people learn from you, you will get some exposure.
      OK, thanks, Ed Smith edsmith@...
    • Martin McKeay
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 28, 2007
        Howdy Ed,

        I hope you take this as constructive criticism, but you need to flesh out
        your posts a lot more if you are hoping to get some comments and feedback.
        One liners and simple questions are not a blog post in my opinion. For
        example, in your latest post you say Howard Stern is one of the best
        interviewers around; take a couple of paragraphs to support that statement
        and tell us what we can learn from Howard. I need a little more to bite
        into before I can formulate any sort of reply.

        Martin

        On 8/28/07, Ed <edd666666@...> wrote:

        > Hi, if you conduct interviews as part of your podcasts, you probably
        > have some thoughts about do's and don'ts of conducting an interview.
        > I have started a blog that covers how to conduct an interview in the
        > broadcast media. It is at:
        > http://www.conductknockoutbroadcastinterviews.com/blog/. I would
        > welcome your comments on what makes for a good interview, who your
        > favorite interviewers are, or whatever. You can mention your podcasts
        > so not only will people learn from you, you will get some exposure.
        > OK, thanks, Ed Smith edsmith@...

        Martin McKeay, CISSP, GIAC:GSNA
        The Network Security Podcast
        http://www.mckeay.net/
        http://www.securityroundtable.com/
        http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/mckeay
        YIM: mmckeay@...
        707-495-7926

      • Ed Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 28, 2007
          Hi Martin, thanks for the constructive criticism, I think you make a great
          point, I am new to blogging so I have a lot to learn. Thanks for that and
          feel free to make any other comments/suggestions at any time. Thanks again,
          Ed.

          On 8/28/07, Martin McKeay <Martin@...> wrote:

          > Howdy Ed,
          >
          > I hope you take this as constructive criticism, but you need to flesh out
          > your posts a lot more if you are hoping to get some comments and feedback.
          > One liners and simple questions are not a blog post in my opinion. For
          > example, in your latest post you say Howard Stern is one of the best
          > interviewers around; take a couple of paragraphs to support that statement
          > and tell us what we can learn from Howard. I need a little more to bite
          > into before I can formulate any sort of reply.
          >
          > Martin
          >
          > On 8/28/07, Ed <edd666666@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, if you conduct interviews as part of your podcasts, you probably
          > > have some thoughts about do's and don'ts of conducting an interview.
          > > I have started a blog that covers how to conduct an interview in the
          > > broadcast media. It is at:
          > > http://www.conductknockoutbroadcastinterviews.com/blog/. I would
          > > welcome your comments on what makes for a good interview, who your
          > > favorite interviewers are, or whatever. You can mention your podcasts
          > > so not only will people learn from you, you will get some exposure.
          > > OK, thanks, Ed Smith edsmith@...
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > --
          > Martin McKeay, CISSP, GIAC:GSNA
          > The Network Security Podcast
          > http://www.mckeay.net/
          > http://www.securityroundtable.com/
          > http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/mckeay
          > YIM: mmckeay@...
          > 707-495-7926

        • desade_69xxx
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 31, 2007
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Ed " <edd666666@...> wrote:

            > Hi, if you conduct interviews as part of your podcasts, you probably
            > have some thoughts about do's and don'ts of conducting an interview.
            > I have started a blog that covers how to conduct an interview in the
            > broadcast media. It is at:
            > http://www.conductknockoutbroadcastinterviews.com/blog/. I would
            > welcome your comments on what makes for a good interview, who your
            > favorite interviewers are, or whatever. You can mention your podcasts
            > so not only will people learn from you, you will get some exposure.
            > OK, thanks, Ed Smith edsmith@...

            I haven't worked in radio, but I've conducted a number of interviews
            recently for my podcast, with more than favorable response.

            The creators of the comic 'Utopiates' were also our first guests for
            our first Direktor's Kut episode - basically a DVD-style commentary
            track for a comic. They recently came back to give us their San Diego
            Comic Con (SDCC) report, and told us they'd be available for future
            con reports.

            We also recorded a Direktor's Kut episode for Fangoria Comics first
            release, and a third (released today) for the Revere: Revolution in
            Silver graphic novel, which shipped this week. Grant Bond (the artist)
            made his 2nd appearance on our podcast with this episode.

            Scott Licina from Fangoria comics was so pleased, he's trying to
            schedule Dee (Twisted Sister) Snider and his son Jesse for another DK
            episode, as Jesse is writing the comic prequel to Dee's movie Strangeland.

            I interviewed 2 of the judges for this year's Eisner Awards (the comic
            book equivalent to the Oscars) prior to SDCC, where the awards are
            given out. We discussed the nominees and the industry, as one of them
            is a retailer and the other is a writer and editor for a comic
            publisher. They came back for a post-awards show follow-up interview,
            and brought the other 3 judges with them!

            Yes, I juggled 5 interviewees, via Skype (meaning no visual cues).

            Another interviewee is more well known for his affiliation with a
            "name" director, but since his "friend" never comes up in interviews,
            I made sure that my co-host and I never violated this unwritten rule.
            He was so pleased with the interview that he sent us a care package
            with some of his out of print comics, and an autographed trade
            paperback with a sketch inside the front cover.

            I also interviewed the Director of the Rhode Island International
            Horror Film Festival (I live in RI), which was directly responsible
            for getting me an interview with the Director/Writer, Producer/Writer,
            and Lead Actress of 'Splatter Disco', one of the featured films.

            OK, it's not Rob Zombie, but I haven't asked him either. ; )

            What I'm getting at is, despite my lack of "professional credentials",
            I consider myself a successful interviewer based upon the response
            I've gotten from the people I've interviewed.

            To answer your questions...

            1. What have you learned that will help someone do a better interview?

            Making the interviewee comfortable before I start recording is my
            number one priority. I'm still surprised when I hear podcast
            interviews that start with the phone ringing and the interviewee
            picking up the phone. From my first interview, I've always spent a few
            minutes talking with the other person(s) and asking if they're ready
            to record. This probably had the most effect with the interviewee with
            the 'famous friend'. I made it clear that I read a number of his
            interviews online, and noticed that his friend doesn't come up in
            conversation, and that we would respect that. I also pointed out that
            we were there to interview him, not interview his friend by proxy. I
            swear I could hear the tension in his voice fade in the few minutes we
            spoke before recording.

            2. I agree with your opinon of Howard Stern. In fact, I think he's one
            of the most talented interviewers in broadcasting.

            3. The target audience is what it is all about.

            Ironically, this is one thing that doesn't apply to our podcast,
            unless you consider me as my target audience. Kryptographik exists
            because I wanted a podcast that covered topics I'm interested in.

            There are roughly 100 comic podcasts vying for the same listeners -
            mostly because their general focus is on superhero comics. We have
            listeners who tell us either we're the only comic podcast they listen
            to, or even the only podcast they listen to, because no one else does
            what we do.

            Our "Direktor's Kut" episodes have been nearly as much of a hit with
            creators as with listeners. In fact, response from creators wanting to
            do them has been so positive, I could probably do a side podcast - if
            only I didn't have to work for a living (my girlfriend demands some
            face time too).

            From day one, we forged our own niche - News, reviews and interviews
            covering horror, science fiction and dark fantasy, in and out of
            comics. We discuss movies, music, books, video games, and comics. No
            medium is off-limits (I'm planning on doing a webcomic episode soon).
            We're not even limited to those genres, although they're the main
            focus. The only genre that's off-limits is superheroes (exceptions
            were made for the Eisner podcasts).

            I'll try & wrap up this rambling mess with this - do your research,
            make your interviewee comfortable, and create your own niche. If your
            audience can find what you do elsewhere, they will. If your
            interviewee is happy, he or she will refer their friends (and fans).

            Brian Matus
            Co-host of the Kryptographik podcast, covering Horror,
            S/F and Dark Fantasy, in and out of comics.
            http://www.myspace.com/hellstorm_kgk
            http://www.lordshaper.com/kryptographik/
            http://kryptographik.ning.com/
          • Prime Point Srinivasan
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 31, 2007
              an interesting discussion. I have already produced and published a podcast
              on 'podcast' itself. A popular Radio and Television jockey explains the
              finer nuances of conducting interviews. Please visit the following link
              and listen

              http://poduniversal.blogspot.com/2007/07/corporate-podcasts-exciting-branding.html

              srinivasan
              http://www.poduniversal.com
              http://corporatepodcast.blogspot.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
                Hi Brian, hats off to your for being able to juggle 5 interviewees with no
                visual clues, that was outstanding. Also all of your comments were helpful,
                especially warming up the guest on a phone line first, very important. So
                thank you for that.

                I bet you have a few pet peeves as well. You might be interested in a new
                post on my blog re Jessica Simpson keeping an interviewer waiting 11 hours
                for an interview.

                OK, thanks again Brian, you were a big help.
                Ed Smith http://www.conductknockoutbroadcastinterviews.com/blog/