Portable On-Demand Cast = Podcast

  • Rob Greenlee-WebTalkGuys
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 24 12:07 PM
      This will not be another gripe post about how bad the term podcast is to the
      long term growth of portable media. You will never again hear me bash it.
      It is here to stay and we need to make the best of the situation.

      I am hearing more and more private discussion about changing the meaning of
      the term "Podcast" away from a strong connection with the iPod and making
      the name mean "Portable On-Demand Cast". I think this makes a lot of sense
      because the name podcast is here to stay and it is more often then not
      understood to mean a piece of content and less to mean a type of
      distribution. This transition will take time as most have been conditioned
      to connect the iPod with Podcasting in thinking about the medium.

      I think with the coming support for podcasting on the Zune, we have an
      opportunity to muddy the meaning to mean something a little more open and
      less Apple-centric.

      The challenge to everyone in the podcast industry is to start talking about
      this rebranding concept. I think it is important to the future of a strong
      and diverse distribution ecosystem that users will understand better.

      Podcasting today has a user understanding and communications challenge that
      can be addresses by all parties involved at all levels in the industry. I
      also think that it is important to move beyond the singular focus that many
      podcasters large and small have on iTunes and the iPod.

      We are seeing many new distribution platforms on mobile, coming Zune support
      of podcasting and other types of mobile and living room devices that will
      bring greater success to content creators.

      Podcasters need to be sure they offer their podcast RSS feeds right on their
      websites and stop only linking over to iTunes.
      -------------------------
      Rob Greenlee
      _____________
      Home Office/Studio: 253.566.9356
      Mobile: 253.831.5632

      Mobile Digital Media News Blog
      http://www.mobilcaster.com
      WebTalk World Radio Show
      http://www.robgreenlee.com
    • Flyswatter
      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 26 9:59 AM
        When people ask me what a podcast is, I say it is a usually free portable
        show you get on the web that you can experience right there or take with you
        on an MP3 player, and further, it can be talkshow, music or a movie. If they
        haven't run away from me halfway through my speech, they are intrigued
        enough to want to know more, so I ask them what they like and I point them
        to a few shows that I like.

        On 8/26/07, Ivy Reisner <ivy@...> wrote:

        > --- Rob Greenlee-WebTalkGuys <robg@...<robg%40webtalkguys.com>
        > >
        > wrote:
        >
        > > The question is what can we all do to help change
        > > the message about
        > > podcasting?

        Laura Ross

        The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
        http://coffeeandteashow.com
        Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
        coffeeandteashow@...

        Rocky Horror Pod Show
        http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
        Listener hotline: 206-888-4991 (note new number)
        rockypod@...