RE: [podcasters] That $30 Mic pre

  • Steven R. Boyett
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2007
      *I* recall recommending it enthusiastically. :)

      --steve boyett

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2007
        Hey Michael. I think your voice sounds better without the art
        preamp. It sounds like the signal was overdriven, thus giving it
        some distortion, compared to the earlier recording. It sounds like
        you might be going for that though.
        If so, I have a suggestion...
        I'd like to preface this by saying I dont have a ton of hands on
        experience with a compression unit, but I know what theyre capable
        of....
        You might want to pick up an external compression unit. I dont know
        what brands or models to look for. Hell, a boss guitar pedal might
        achieve this. I also know that thee are several analog vintage rack
        mount units that are pretty inexpensive on ebay.
        Jasper

        > I got my ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp today. This one:
        > http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-
        > Preamp?sku=180581
        >
        > I was worried from what people said that it might be too noisy.
        > I found quite the opposite. Not only did it add no noise at all, but
        > I am not sure I could even hear it working. And I had the mic pre
        > turned on, up, all that good stuff.
        >
        > Anyone want to add a second opinion here?
        > The first 20 minutes of the new Clone The Homeless (episode 0047) are
        > recorded with the mic pre on me (only on me, not on the wife.) It's
        > here:
        > http://www.askdollie.com/cth/Episode-0047-CloneTheHomeless.mp3
        >
        > compare to an episode recorded using the same mics and mixer, without
        > the pre, for instance this one:
        > http://www.askdollie.com/cth/Episode-0044-CloneTheHomeless.mp3
        >
        > Let me know.
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Michael W. Dean
        > "Clone The Homeless"
        > Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
        > was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
        > http://www.clonethehomeless.com

      • Michael W. Dean
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12, 2007
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, I Print Stickers <alrighta@...> wrote:

          > ......You might want to pick up an external compression unit. ....

          To do what?

          I'm not being rude, just curious. Not sure what is lacking that a
          compressor would add.

          Thank you for the input,
          MWD
          "Clone The Homeless"
          Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
          was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
          http://www.clonethehomeless.com
        • I Print Stickers
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 12, 2007
            I assumed you were trying to break up the signal a bit. I suggested
            a compressor because I've heard better results than when I compared
            the 2 examples in your initial message.
            Jasper

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 18, 2007
              I got a second one, and tweaked them and like 'em now. Also using the
              "OPL" limiter. I like it.

              If you wanna hear it, it's used on both mics on this whole cast:

              "Clone The Homeless"
              http://www.clonethehomeless.com

              Episode 0048 up now:

              Michael W. Dean talks with George Earth about Art Bell, "radio voice"
              sound, RE-20 microphones, microphone technique, being mean, neighbors
              who have lame parties, Bomb on tour in Germany, the Simspons movie,
              the South Park movie, the Beavis and Butthead movie, MORE on the ART
              MP tube preamp, limiters, the Levelator, Michael W. Dean's new comic,
              George Earth's new comic, Hans Zimmer, Michael's upcoming book: $30
              Life School, what George learned from $30 Film School.

              And FREE DOWNLOADS OF GEORGE'S NEW WEB COMIC, "CHEAP COMICS"
              http://www.askdollie.com/cth/george.htm