Re: Recording your Podcast

  • Michael W. Dean
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31, 2007
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

      > On 11/30/05, email68@... <email68@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > How is everyone recording their Podcast?
      >
      > Shure SM-57 --> ART Tube MP preamp

      ====

      Hey Stephen, I know you've upgraded to a Perception mic, but are you
      still using the ART preamp? I just ordered one. I've been curious
      about tube pres, and the ART is so cheap now (30 bucks at
      musiciansfriend.com) that I figured "what the hell, and I can use it
      as a bass guitar DI if it sucks for the mic."

      Did/do you like the ART Tube MP preamp ? And is there a danger with it
      of blowing out the mixer I plug it into (Alesis USB 8).

      Thank you,
      MWD
    • Steven R. Boyett
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 31, 2007
        I have one. I used to use it but don't any more, but I do think it adds
        warms to vox. Very configurable, but you gotta let the tube warm up.
        Presonus mic tube pres also come highly recommended.

        Steve Boyett
        www.djsteveboy.com <http://www.djsteveboy.com/>
        Podcasts: "Groovelectric" / "Podrunner"

        _____

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 31, 2007
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Steven R. Boyett" <steve@...> wrote:

          > I have one. I used to use it but don't any more, but I do think it adds
          > warms to vox. Very configurable, but you gotta let the tube warm up.

          for how long?

          Thank you.
          MWD
        • Steven R. Boyett
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 31, 2007
            Fifteen or twenty minutes.

            --steve

            _____

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 31, 2007
              On 7/31/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
              > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Shure SM-57 --> ART Tube MP preamp
              >
              > Did/do you like the ART Tube MP preamp ? And is there a danger with it
              > of blowing out the mixer I plug it into (Alesis USB 8).

              Holy cow! You're following up to a post from 2005?

              Anyway, I haven't touched the ART since -- well, since about a month
              after that post. The only reason I still used it then was because the
              preamps on my M-Audio MobilePre were too crappy to drive the SM57 all
              by themselves. So I ran the two preamps in series. Even with the
              ART/MobilePre combination, the noise was too high for my liking, but
              it wasn't as bad.

              Since you already bought one, all I can say is "Try it yourself,
              decide if you like it." I wouldn't worry about it blowing out your
              mixer; just run it in through an instrument line instead of the XLR
              mic input.

              Will it give you a warmer sound? Maybe. You can listen to some old
              Escape Pods and compare them to new ones if you want. But understand
              this: you paid thirty dollars for a preamp, and you're going to get a
              thirty-dollar preamp. It's not very clean, and the sound may be
              noisier than the preamps you already have in your mixer. By all means
              play with it, but don't expect it to be on the level of the $2,000
              Avalon preamps or whatever else people mean when they're talking about
              the "tube sound."

              http://www.escapepod.org
            • Michael W. Dean
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 31, 2007
                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

                > On 7/31/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

                > Holy cow! You're following up to a post from 2005?

                Yup. It was the only thread that mentioned the piece of gear I was
                wondering about.

                You sounded surprised, not irritated (I think....) but I have noticed
                a lot of people tend to get irritated on forum boards when someone
                bumps an old thread. I don't know why. I can see getting irritated if
                the person is opening an old wound, starting up a settled argument,
                but I don't see the problem if they're just waking up a validly useful
                sleeping conversation. That is the very nature of asynchronous
                communication....

                Anyway, thank you for the answers, Stephen. Yeah...I should have asked
                *before* I ordered it...but I do want to experiment with tube
                preamps....If I can get a feel for what they do from this one, maybe
                I'll invest in a better one at some point. (Now that I have one piece
                of rack-mount gear - the Furman power conditioner - I kinda wanna get
                a rack and start filling it!)

                But if the ART Tube MP preamp is something that adds too much noise to
                my chain, maybe I'll give it away as a prize on one of the casts...It
                would be of use to someone with a cheap mic, no preamp and no mixer.

                MWD
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 31, 2007
                  On 8/1/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

                  > You sounded surprised, not irritated (I think....) but I have noticed
                  > a lot of people tend to get irritated on forum boards when someone
                  > bumps an old thread. I don't know why. I can see getting irritated if
                  > the person is opening an old wound, starting up a settled argument,
                  > but I don't see the problem if they're just waking up a validly useful
                  > sleeping conversation. That is the very nature of asynchronous
                  > communication....

                  I wasn't irritated. "Holy cow!" was pretty much the extent of my
                  reaction. I often forget that the boards have a search feature that
                  enables this sort of thing at all.

                  > But if the ART Tube MP preamp is something that adds too much noise to
                  > my chain, maybe I'll give it away as a prize on one of the casts...It
                  > would be of use to someone with a cheap mic, no preamp and no mixer.

                  Sure. The upside of a $30 preamp, of course, is that it's only thirty
                  bucks. And isn't that a figure of some significance to you? >8->

                  http://www.escapepod.org
                • Michael W. Dean
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 1, 2007
                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:
                    > it's only thirty
                    > bucks. And isn't that a figure of some significance to you? >8->

                    ===
                    Yes, but these days, mostly only quarterly.

                    --MWD
                  • Flyswatter
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 1, 2007
                      It's kind of fun, like commenting to a LiveJournal post from 2002.

                      Laura

                      On 8/1/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

                      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com <podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > On 7/31/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Holy cow! You're following up to a post from 2005?

                      Laura Ross

                      The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
                      http://coffeeandteashow.com
                      Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
                      coffeeandteashow@...

                      Rocky Horror Pod Show
                      http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
                      Listener hotline: 206-888-4991 (note new number)
                      rockypod@...

                    • I Print Stickers
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 1, 2007
                      • Flyswatter
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 1, 2007
                          I agree with this statement.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 1, 2007
                            Me too.
                          • Jacek Artymiak
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 2, 2007
                              There is no right or wrong. Every preamp has its unique sound. If you
                              like it, use it even if it is noisy like the rush hours in New York.
                              And if you make enough dough with your 'cast, get yourself a TL Audio
                              VP1 and make everyone else jealous ;-)

                              --
                              Jacek Artymiak
                              podcasting ltd