What makes a podcast a podcast?

  • Martin Brossman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 27, 2007
      What makes a podcast a podcast? Is their any difference from a audio or
      video blog?
      Someone ask me if their video blog qualified as a podcast and it get me
      to re-challenge the definition so I decided to "ask the experts" or at
      least a lot of people with opinions (grin).

      Martin Brossman
      The Podcasting Technology Discussion group
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/podcastingtechnology/
    • David Jackson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 27, 2007
        Podcasts can be audio, video, pdfs, etc. The biggest difference is you can subscribe to a podcast via an RSS feed and have it delivered automatically. Where streaming audio on a website you have to be at a certain website at a certain time (like radio), a podcast is delivered to you, and you listen to it any time you want (and if you have a portable device) anywhere you want.

        Dave Jackson
        www.schoolofpodcasting.com

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 27, 2007
          On 7/27/07, Martin Brossman <martin@...> wrote:

          > What makes a podcast a podcast? Is their any difference from a audio or
          > video blog?
          > Someone ask me if their video blog qualified as a podcast and it get me
          > to re-challenge the definition so I decided to "ask the experts" or at
          > least a lot of people with opinions (grin).
          >
          > Martin Brossman
          > The Podcasting Technology Discussion group
          > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/podcastingtechnology/

          Basically podcasting is defined by the delivery mechanism...RSS. If
          people have audio or video (PDFs even) available on an RSS feed it's a
          podcast.

          some refer to video as Vidcasts, or video podcasts...etc...it's all
          just euphemisms for a podcast.

          Hope this helps.

          --
          Andy Bilodeau

          The AndyCast PodCast
          You'll laugh 'til you stop!
          http://www.andycast.net

          Blog: http://andy.andycast.net
          Skype : andybilodeau
          Twitter : http://twitter.com/andycaster
        • Shawn Thorpe
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 27, 2007
            On 7/27/07, Martin Brossman <martin@...> wrote:

            > What makes a podcast a podcast? Is their any difference from a audio or
            > video blog?
            > Someone ask me if their video blog qualified as a podcast and it get me
            > to re-challenge the definition so I decided to "ask the experts" or at
            > least a lot of people with opinions (grin).
            >
            > Martin Brossman
            > The Podcasting Technology Discussion group
            > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/podcastingtechnology/
            >

            > .

            Delivery of DOWNLOADABLE media via RSS. That's what makes something a
            podcast. If files are posted without being enclosed in an RSS feed, then
            that's just an audio/video blog. It's not true podcasting.

            --
            -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
            Hyper Nonsense - Talk, comedy, music and more!

            Shawnogram - Content = life.
            http://www.shawnogram.com/

            Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
            http://www.phantompower.org/

          • caroosky
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 27, 2007
              These debates over definitions amuse me, because of the underlying
              truths they reveal about us. Having said that, I feel the need to dip
              my toe in the waters as well.

              PODCAST: (n.) Digital audiovisual content that is offered to the
              general public, by means of placing numerous additional technical
              roadblocks in the path between the play button and the consumer.
              PODCASTS (pl.) can be differentiated from other forms of audiovisual
              content distributed via the web by examining the number of extraneous
              steps that must be completed before the content can be consumed. It
              is generally understood that the easier something is to enjoy, the
              less likely it is to be a PODCAST.

              PODCASTER: (n.), A species of CONTENT CREATOR who creates and
              distributes PODCASTS via RSS feeds. Many PODCASTERS (pl.) prefer
              smaller audience sizes, and can be distinguished from other CONTENT
              CREATORS by the curious hair on the back of their neck that stands on
              end when someone suggests that RSS is in no way a part of their
              essential DNA makeup. Other species of CONTENT CREATORS are more
              adaptable and will live longer lives, although this experiment is best
              conducted in a laboratory environment.

              PODCAST CONSUMER: (n.) an endangered species once thought to liberally
              inhabit all areas of society. PODCAST CONSUMERS are considered
              endangered because of the encroaching complexities invading their
              natural habitats. The content they need to survive has been
              increasingly harder to ingest, much of it having been walled off
              behind secret techno-societies of PODCASTERS who have devalued the
              life of the PODCAST CONSUMER, and placed a higher priority upon
              protecting the definition of PODCAST. Sadly, the symbiotic
              relationship necessary to ensure the survival of both species remains
              in question.

              (Smiles, everyone...This is NOT aimed at anyone from this thread,
              brothers and sisters... Just a rant that's been boiling for a good
              long while.)

              Carter Harkins
              http://crowdabout.us

              > Delivery of DOWNLOADABLE media via RSS. That's what makes something a
              > podcast. If files are posted without being enclosed in an RSS feed,
              then
              > that's just an audio/video blog. It's not true podcasting.
              >
              > --
              > -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
              > Hyper Nonsense - Talk, comedy, music and more!
              > http://www.hypernonsense.com/
              >
              > Shawnogram - Content = life.
              > http://www.shawnogram.com/
              >
              > Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
              > http://www.phantompower.org/

            • Nobilis
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 27, 2007
                On 7/27/07, caroosky <carter@...> wrote:

                > (Smiles, everyone...This is NOT aimed at anyone from this thread,
                > brothers and sisters... Just a rant that's been boiling for a good
                > long while.)

                Yes, yes, fine.

                You have an alternative, then, perhaps?

                --
                "Feelings stronger than instinct, loyalties higher than money"
                Now available from ExtasyBooks.com -- "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/yofzbd
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 27, 2007
                  Carter

                  I would encourage you to go back to pre 2004 and look at how content was
                  being consumed and while what we have today is not perfect, I can say it is
                  a lot better now than then. If you dig deeper and look at all of the
                  historical data on why we are not further down the distribution and
                  consumption road, I think you will find that some of the people that were so
                  active in developing the distribution and automation are some of the same
                  people today that have allowed financial interest to impair the growth of
                  the medium.

                  While cute I think many of your off the cuff assertions are based without
                  the full understanding of where we have been up to this point.

                  Funny regardless.

                  Todd..

                  _____

                  http://crowdabout. <http://crowdabout.us> us

                  > Delivery of DOWNLOADABLE media via RSS. That's what makes something a
                  > podcast. If files are posted without being enclosed in an RSS feed,
                  then
                  > that's just an audio/video blog. It's not true podcasting.
                  >
                  > --
                  > -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
                  > Hyper Nonsense - Talk, comedy, music and more!
                  > http://www.hypernon <http://www.hypernonsense.com/> sense.com/
                  >
                  > Shawnogram - Content = life.
                  > http://www.shawnogr <http://www.shawnogram.com/> am.com/
                  >
                  > Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
                  > http://www.phantomp <http://www.phantompower.org/> ower.org/

                • Martin Brossman
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 28, 2007
                    Thanks for all the replys on what makes a podcast a podcast! Anyone
                    else?

                    Also, What make a podcast a great podcast?

                    Martin Brossman

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 28, 2007
                      On 7/28/07, Martin Brossman <martin@...> wrote:

                      > Also, What make a podcast a great podcast?

                      For me, podcasts are at their best when they take full advantage of
                      podcasting's greatest strength, that is, when there is a sense of
                      community associated with the podcast. The podcasters ask for
                      feedback, read or play it on the show, and react to it. Of course,
                      getting this going is not an easy task, but when it does, watch out.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 28, 2007
                        On 7/28/07, Martin Brossman <martin@...> wrote:

                        > Also, What make a podcast a great podcast?

                        When the audience gets all of the things they knew they wanted, a few
                        of the things they *didn't* know they wanted, and none of the things
                        they didn't want.

                        http://www.escapepod.org
                      • Steve Sergeant
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 28, 2007
                          At 12:53 PM +0000 7/28/07, Martin Brossman wrote:
                          >Thanks for all the replys on what makes a podcast a podcast! Anyone
                          >else?

                          I agree with others that the only thing that makes a podcast a
                          podcast is that it's a download-able attachment to an RSS file. It
                          could be audio, video, PDF, or some other arbitrary binary file type.

                          >Also, What make a podcast a great podcast?

                          If you're talking about audio or video, it's EXACTLY the same things
                          that make great radio and great television. Rich sounds and/or
                          images, characters with depth and unusual quirks, a narrative with
                          twists and surprises, comedy, tragedy, and useful information and/or
                          a convincing moral message. And these qualities apply whether it's
                          fiction or hard news, entertainment or education.

                          Quality of production is secondary to content, but good quality
                          production is always more transparent (less distracting) to your
                          audience, and shows you know what you're doing and care about your
                          audience.

                          As for audience participation and community. I think those things
                          come along once you've mastered the other things I just mentioned.